Comparing High Power Parachutes

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fruity Chutes have always worked well for me. Expensive but very high quality chutes and associated recovery gear.

Full disclosure: FC owner Gene E. is a club member and I see him regularly at the LUNAR and TCC launches.

Understand, my comment was not meant to be negative towards Gene or his product- top notch chutes and a guy who is a benefit to the hobby. I really like his stuff- just a pricing issue for me.

Never heard that one before. That the UXTs are bulky?
The lower the Cd of a chute, the more chute ( mass, bulk ) you need to slow to a given speed. The ultra-tough chutes often get that way with ~2oz fabric, more of the same.

In theory, a naked fincan and a longish VK or power series bolted to the foreward closure is about the minimum to which you could cut mass without going EX. Fitting batteries, electronics, charges, laundry, and cable cutters solely inside the NC rounds it out.

But mostly most chutes will do for most flights, and I'm glad to hear personal experiences about what works for whom.

Hi Gary,

I'm going off my experience using a 60" UXT in the nose of a 3" WM Saab (~7lbs). Going from memory the UXT folded into a ~2.5" x 9" burrito. A 36" Fruity Chutes Iris has the same load capacity and will fold into a 2.6" x 5.2" burrito. The UXT has heavier material and thick braided shock cords.

Keep in mind that the Iris also costs 3x as much.

I hope you didn't take that as a dig. I think they are both nice chutes and they both have a place in my fleet.

Chris

Never heard that one before. That the UXTs are bulky?

No problem at all Chris. I think its great that flyers have a good number of chute choices. This year we have done a few custom Par58" out of Thin mill fabric with a spill hole for flyers using HED.

No problem at all Chris. I think its great that flyers have a good number of chute choices. This year we have done a few custom Par58" out of Thin mill fabric with a spill hole for flyers using HED.
Hah, I have got to get better about remembering to read usernames. Me over here chutesplaining :-D

Back