Compact Data Logger Suggestions

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pugachu

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
hello,

I'm looking to add a compact data logger for non-altitude measurements. I've used Arduino's and LabJacks for other non-flight projects. The Arduino's are compact enough for say a 54mm bird, but their ADC is very limited, and the logging rate is kinda slow. the labjacks aren't made to be small, but are very capable DAQ's.

There are lots of options for sensors, like photodiodes for rotation speed measurement, temperture measurements at various locations on the bird, etc. I even have a compact gamma ray detector for checking if I can see if I can see the background radiation starts to rise while going to high altitudes.

I know there are flight computers that will log 3 axis acceleration, as well as barometric pressure, but I'm looking for adding my own sensors for simple experiments.

Thanks,

A little tight, but you might be able to get one of these in 54mm... for sure in 2.6".

https://www.dataq.com/products/di-188/
Thanks for the input. Unfortunately, it looks like the usb cable at the right angle to the skinny side will make it too big for a 54mm payload. Also, I was hoping for something with an on-board memory card or module. From what I can see on the documentation, this doesn't have on board memory for storing data. I may be wrong, as it's 6am, and I'm still waking up :-D.

Thanks,

This is a setup I just started looking into.

It's a Raspberry Pi Zero W and a GPS-Pie Slice board.

GPS-Pie-Slice-01.JPG GPS-Pie-Slice-03.JPG

Here is a link for the GPS Pie Slice : https://gps-pie.com/

The board has a GPS, accelerometers, gyro and barometric sensor. There is no data logger, but my plan
was to add a unit. Right now they're collecting dust on the bench. Family and work has been getting in
the way the last few months.

The boards are only 30mm wide and 65mm long.

Finicky and QFactor.

Wow ! ( :) thanks to pugachu for the family-friendly explitive :) )

Both the Pi-Based SiP Systems look amazing.

The new SoC Systems make me feel so old and left behind :)

One issue I wonder about is that the Accelerometers on both Systems appear to max-out at +/- 16G

Or am I missing something ?

Thanks for the eye-opening slap with a clue-stick :)

-- kjh

Back