Comp 3 drag race

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feel the need to report and set the record straight on this contest/event. #1 no need to take shelter as Gus predicted as all 20+ rockets flew successfully (i.e., no shreads, CATOs, or lawn darts which is almost unheard of at an MWP drag race), #2, in spite of all Gus' chiding, my rocket flew successfully and weighed in at 9lbs, 7oz only (loaded) an ounce more than the lightest rocket and eventual winner, Eric Cayemburg. My Comp 3 flew to 9808ft good for a third place finish. And a big "Congrats" to Eric C. as winner of the first "flame-motif" MWP Drag Race trophy!

Arrived home in the dark, with a lot of cleaning up and pictures / altimeter data to go thru but this sequence from one bank of the drag race sums it up. And +1 congrats to Eric.

IMGP7008.jpg

IMGP7009.jpg

IMGP7010.jpg

IMGP7011.jpg

Thanks Tim, Sather, Gary!

Someone asked "why the pink nose cone?". A dear friend was recently diagnosed with breast cancer; the effort is dedicated to her. We fought to win, and so will she! A full set of themed decals didn't come together in time for the drag race, but will don the rocket in the near future.

This was one of, if not my favorite MWP Wildman Drag Races. The rocket/motor combo was awesome; it made for an impressive show and kept things affordable and attainable....any L2 could do it! All the motors lit simultaneously which was great! As Tim mentioned, most or all were safe flights; I love a salvo of big loud rockets but don't like it when they're loud coming in ballistic! Great job Tim and Jeroen!

The trophy is awesome; will post a photo in the near future. Sincere thank you to whoever was behind that (Jason?!!?). Uber cool!:grin:

We watched the drag race from our pits on the South 40, so it made for a decent angle to capture the launch.

A good chunk of the Competitors:
096_zps2a6997e9.jpg

Ignition:
105_zps8319fa05.jpg

Liftoff:
106_zps730e300c.jpg

Zoom-zoom:
107_zpseaf5e8c8.jpg

Same shots as previous two, but focusing on the right side; I know several of the top 5 altitudes are in these shots:
106a_zps2ea794be.jpg

107a_zpsbcea0ced.jpg

MECO:
109_zpsa63b687d.jpg

Caution Cuidado:
145_zpsa0c79b80.jpg

-Eric-

Last edited:
Congratulation Eric!

wish we would have had more time to chat but it was good to meet you and put a face on you now. I look forward to seeing you at many future launches and having more time to hang out. Katie caught a few photos of the drag race also.

_DSC0964 (640x427).jpg_DSC0965 (640x427).jpg

I feel the need to report and set the record straight on this contest/event. #1 no need to take shelter as Gus predicted as all 20+ rockets flew successfully (i.e., no shreads, CATOs, or lawn darts which is almost unheard of at an MWP drag race), #2, in spite of all Gus' chiding, my rocket flew successfully and weighed in at 9lbs, 7oz only (loaded) an ounce more than the lightest rocket and eventual winner, Eric Cayemburg. My Comp 3 flew to 9808ft good for a third place finish. And a big "Congrats" to Eric C. as winner of the first "flame-motif" MWP Drag Race trophy!
Great flights for all but I beleive the official the top 3 finishers were:
1) Eric Cayemberg 10,400 FT
2) Gary Kawabata 9,860 FT
3) John Olevich 9,820 FT

If anyone has the complete list of official results they can post here that would be great

Last edited:
This was a busy-BUSY weekend, and a busy launch. I didn't get nearly enough pictures or videos... but here's a slice. :cool:

[YOUTUBE]K3jxskrCYDk[/YOUTUBE]

Nice grab Scott, were you able to find your Cherokee?

Landed in the cut corn 3/4 of a mile nnw of the pad. Chris M. (from the forum) was standing right next to it. :headbang:

Back