Commercial Fireworks Igniters as Backup for Aerotech Igniters.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveA63

Reaction score
Last fall I had a G motor that didn't ignite and didn't have a spare igniter with me to retry the launch. I do have commercial fireworks igniters and was wondering if they produced enough heat to ignite the propellant? I haven't tried it yet and thought I would ask before I crap-up a motor trying.

Thanks for your time.
Steve

Last fall I had a G motor that didn't ignite and didn't have a spare igniter with me to retry the launch. I do have commercial fireworks igniters and was wondering if they produced enough heat to ignite the propellant? I haven't tried it yet and thought I would ask before I crap-up a motor trying.

Thanks for your time.
Steve
CTI motors up to 54mm and Aerotech blue propellants yes, the other propellants and CTI 75mm and above would probably require a pyrogen dip. Aerotech motors with the exception of blue propellants need a pyrogen dip in most cases no matter the size, 18mm and some 24mm motors an ematch wont fit through the nozzle dipped or not.

Great! Thank you!
The reasons it should work are CTI 24mm to 54mm have a pyrogen/starter pellet at the head end, CTI's up to 54mm are usually lit with an ematch. CTI 75mm and 98mm motors like all Aerotech motors do not have the starter pellet so a hot long burning igniter is needed. Aerotech blue thunder is so easy to light that a number of TRF'ers have used ematches to light it on a number of occasions.

Back