Comments on the 'time change' (DST)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An extra hour of sleep and you're still cranky, Matt?

Too bad the weather canceled this weekend's MMMSC launch; that would have perked you up.
We'll have to wait until the CMASS launch on the 8th.

As to the time change, I preferred the previous schedule that gave a more balanced Daylight Saving Time vs. Standard Time.

I to hate this time of year,seems like winter goes by slowly and the summer months fly by.To think spring is 6 months away make you want to cry!!:cry:

I'll let my friend CGP Grey explain my thoughts on DST:

[video=youtube;84aWtseb2-4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84aWtseb2-4[/video]

I like it in the fall because it feels like an extra hour of sleep when it first happens.... Spring feels like losing an hour of sleep....

I'll let my friend CGP Grey explain my thoughts on DST:

[video=youtube;84aWtseb2-4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84aWtseb2-4[/video]

That was a pretty good video. I think I'd be happy letting Daylight Savings Time go away. It's too much of a PITA in the modern world where there is so much business conducted across borders and time zones, and it's not used universally. Jus get rid of it.

We should save this thread. Then we could repeat it every year in the future...
:facepalm:

[video=youtube;k4EUTMPuvHo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4EUTMPuvHo[/video]

s6

We should save this thread. Then we could repeat it every year in the future...
:facepalm:

N0 need to, this thread repeats twice a year anyway.

I enjoy the extra hour of daylight the end of the day, sunrise is wasted on me 99% of the time. We had two contests in October, and REALLY made great use of DST, flying till it was too dark to fly anymore. An our less would have sucked (and good luck getting people start an hour early without DST, for the most part it would mean they'd have shown up about an hour later than whenever they finally showed up, as most did not show up at the announced start time anyway).

- George Gassaway

Personally, I thing the time change is a stupid concept. Keep it dst year round.

Mark Koelsch
Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

The temporal equivalent of cutting a length of rope off of one end and tying it onto the other.

Does anybody really know what time it is
Does anybody really care
If so I can't imagine why
We've all got time enough to cry

I dont care either way.
But seeing NH does do the change,I will say, I love it in the spring when we switch back.
That seemingly extra evening sun does me attitude good.

Last edited:
My 8 year old son was both interested and flummoxed by DST. I tried explaining it to him, even threw in "you can think of it as time travel, back one hour". He thought about it for a moment. "But Dad, it's still now!"

Yet more evidence that we would be in better hands if the whole shootin' match was run by 8 year olds instead of the powers that be!

The funny thing is that we are on daylight time for 7.5 months, but on standard time for only 4.5 months. :confused:

I also hate the spring forward crap..I feel like my body is always on this time..quit freaking our clock out for stupid reasons!

A compromise . . .

In Spring when it comes up again -
Let's just turn the clocks forward just 30 minutes and
LEAVE IT THERE FOREVER!

I live in Arizona. We refused DST except for the Navajo Nation. Of course the Hopi Nation, which is located within the boundaries of the Navajo Nation, refused DST also. There is about a 100 mile straight line in Arizona where you can go from AZ time to DST to AZ time then to DST back to AZ....fortunately no roads actually travel on that line, and actually it is more complicated than that. The video in post #6 at the 5:08 mark explains this in hysterical detail.

We moved our trailer from Parker, AZ to Blythe, CA this weekend over DST time change. I was talking on the phone to the RV host and between the two of us we couldn't figure out what time we'd be arriving. :facepalm:

Back