Commemorative Decals?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MALBAR 70

More Rockets Than Room
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I recently purchased a couple of rockets off of ebay, one was a BMS School Rocket (I think).
My first question is , the kit came with commemorative decals for an event I didn't attend, should I put them on the rocket or leave them off ? I kinda like the idea of keeping it as close to what was intended.
The second question is, is there any value to kits that were packaged for a specific event?
The School Rocket came from Great Lakes Cup Regional it was held in Oswego, Ill in June of 2012. Does anyone have any info on this event? I'd like to know a little bit more about it.

If the decal was inside the kit package itself, maybe it was donated by BMS, or originally sold at the event, and you might contact them to find out more about it, someone from there may have attended?

https://www.balsamachining.com/

As to value; Like all collector kits, the value is only what someone is willing to pay. I personally never got it. It's not a rocket until you build it and fly it; it's just a bag/box of parts. I can acquire/make parts and decals without spending hundreds of dollars so it doesn't make sense to me..... But that's just me.

The School Rocket came from Great Lakes Cup Regional it was held in Oswego, Ill in June of 2012. Does anyone have any info on this event? I'd like to know a little bit more about it.

This event was sort of a practice session for the US FAI Spacemodeling Team, but also featured a Russian competitor and (I think) some Canadians. It was organized by Pat Butler, who owns Dino Chutes.

I recently purchased a couple of rockets off of ebay, one was a BMS School Rocket (I think).
My first question is , the kit came with commemorative decals for an event I didn't attend, should I put them on the rocket or leave them off ? I kinda like the idea of keeping it as close to what was intended.
The second question is, is there any value to kits that were packaged for a specific event?

Please don't take this the wrong way as I found myself in the exact same situation with vintage RC Cars.

Ask yourself this question. Are you going to have more fun with it as a built rocket out flying it or having it sitting on a shelf? Let’s say that rocket is worth $20 more than normal due to it being a special event rocket. Does $20 mean more to you than the fun you would have building and flying?

I asked myself this question as I ended up buying and collecting new in the box Tamiya, Losi, Associated, Kyosho etc. etc. Cars and Trucks from the 80's and 90's that I will never assemble or get any use out of. They are simply sitting on a shelf in a hobby room where I can stare at them and say I own them. When I returned to rockets I promised myself and my GF that I would not do the same thing. No matter how expensive, how many hours I have in the build or how rare it is. I'm building and flying it. I will tell you that I make scans of every decal and instruction sheet and make templates of every fin and body tube so I can reproduce it at any time should I lose it.

Please don't take this the wrong way as I found myself in the exact same situation with vintage RC Cars.

Ask yourself this question. Are you going to have more fun with it as a built rocket out flying it or having it sitting on a shelf? Let’s say that rocket is worth $20 more than normal due to it being a special event rocket. Does $20 mean more to you than the fun you would have building and flying?

I asked myself this question as I ended up buying and collecting new in the box Tamiya, Losi, Associated, Kyosho etc. etc. Cars and Trucks from the 80's and 90's that I will never assemble or get any use out of. They are simply sitting on a shelf in a hobby room where I can stare at them and say I own them. When I returned to rockets I promised myself and my GF that I would not do the same thing. No matter how expensive, how many hours I have in the build or how rare it is. I'm building and flying it. I will tell you that I make scans of every decal and instruction sheet and make templates of every fin and body tube so I can reproduce it at any time should I lose it.

I feel the same way, every kit in my build pile is at risk of being built at some point. I do have a few "collectors items" (NIP Porta Pot Shot, NIP NCR X Wing etc.) and some low number Fliskits (from when Jim still owned the company) and Semroc/eRockets kits that I might have a hard time opening the package. But, once it's open the build begins.

I built the School Rocket and put on the less obvious decals, but left off the large event decal.

Recording the specifics of a kit so it can be reproduced if lost or destroyed is a great idea and something I really should start doing.

I feel the same way, every kit in my build pile is at risk of being built at some point. I do have a few "collectors items" (NIP Porta Pot Shot, NIP NCR X Wing etc.) and some low number Fliskits (from when Jim still owned the company) and Semroc/eRockets kits that I might have a hard time opening the package. But, once it's open the build begins.

I built the School Rocket and put on the less obvious decals, but left off the large event decal.

Recording the specifics of a kit so it can be reproduced if lost or destroyed is a great idea and something I really should start doing.

I understand. I have a few old Estes kits including the Porta-Pot Shot as well. But they mean more to me in the air than on a shelf.

Last edited:
I still have and fly my Centuri Alien Scoutship Flying Saucer. I built when I was like 11 and used too much glue and some tape to hold it together, it has been stepped on and repaired and singed on the pad due to an engine meltdown and looks like crap, but still flies great and always a big hit at any launch, at the club or scout launches, when my kids were that age. The best one was when Lee Piester was visiting for a museum event and launched it at our club on a vintage Powr Pad. Yeah, I have enjoyed building, flying, repairing, and flying again that rocket over the years much more than if it were in a bag on a shelf. But, had I known the future value of one of those bagged kits today, I would have bought two.

Back