Commander Willy's Red Rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pem Tech

Notorious Member
Reaction score
OK, it has been a bit since I have gotten to build something just for giggles, and even longer since I posted anything interesting to TRF.

So, for your perusal I submit Commander Willy's Red Rocket.

RedROcket_0091x800.jpg

She is 19.8" overall, 2.6" in dimeter a continuous ogive except for a one inch section of BT-80, powered by a 24mm motor mount and stabilized by three 1/16" ply groovin' fins.
For those of your wondering, Commander Willy is a cartoon character Trudy is creating for Pem-Tech.
Yes, yes, yes...
We stole the idea from Dr. Zooch.
Shameless, but the truth.
:rolleyes:

Build and flight pics to follow.

Wow, kind of like "Bucky Jones, Space Plebe." :neener:

You know that I'm kidding, right? (Both here and elsewhere. Honest.) It's very cool. :cool:

You're really developing a fleet of these, aren't you? I may have to start acquiring the set, so that I, too, can be ready for the coming Space Age. I keep hearing that it's right around the corner, and will be here any day now.

MarkII

Layne, another awesome rocket to kit! Alright!

Now, as a point of guidance, you really need to check out phrases before you name your rockets after them. Our friends in the U.K. are probably laughing their heads off when they see the name of this one.

Unless that was entirely intentional... ;) :D

Guess we'll have to for the comic, err, graphic novel, to come out in order to find out if it was.

MarkII

Unless that was entirely intentional... ;) :D

Guess we'll have to for the comic, err, graphic novel, to come out in order to find out if it was.

MarkII

We will not confirm or deny such rumors...

Thanks for the compliament Troy, not sure if this is production material, but we shall see.

FInally got a bit of paint on CWRR. The red came out way darker than I had anticipated, but a few details should balance out the look. Pics later tonight.

OK, I lied...
Pics to follow today.
:rolleyes:

when can i buy one

Hmmmmmm
Well, I'll talk to Commander Willy and see if he would be interested in selling his spaceship. Other than that I really hadn't planned on kitting this one, but I just may consider it now that several have asked via PM and posts.
I'll keep you updated.
:dark:

OK, as promised last night, the first coats of paint are on CWRR.

CWRR_0131.jpg

Still have to do the touch-ups and details. ANd a Big portal with COmmander WIlly staring out.

Last edited:
OK, as promised last night, the first coats of paint are on CWRR.

CWRR_0131.jpg

Still have to do the touch-ups and details. ANd a Big portal with COmmander WIlly staring out.

OOOHHHH That is SOOOOOO COOL!!!!!! KIT IT!!!! Please.

That looks so kewl Layne!:cool: I hope Commander Willy remembers to take his Dramamine® before the flight!:cyclops: With that one fin that looks warped he will have one heck of a spinning ride!:y:

Thanks guys....
Actually, all three fins are warped. Pulled a stack of these fins out of the storage box and they had all aquired a bit of a curve. I left them that way hoping for a bit of spin on ascent. We will see......

Thanks guys....
Actually, all three fins are warped. Pulled a stack of these fins out of the storage box and they had all aquired a bit of a curve. I left them that way hoping for a bit of spin on ascent. We will see......

I hope they're all warped the same direction, otherwise the flight would be, um, interesting. :eyepop: :eek: :y: :(

Our friends in the U.K. are probably laughing their heads off when they see the name of this one.

They're not the only ones. :roll:

Hmm... somehow I expected the nose cone to be, umm... rounder. :y:

Layne,

I know it's hard to keep up with all the slang terms. I can understand innocently using one. But you've used two in a single name. :eek:

You should have used one of these for the nose cone

wood%20door%20knob.jpg

Back