Come watch Jason cert NAR L1

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure I can get my wife to come, but hopefully I can talk Sean into it. If so, I'll bring the Canon 20D we just bought and hopefully get some good shots also.

I'm going to try to make it too. Been meaning to get out to the sod farm one of these days. Sounds like a great idea to make it a Pinellas affair. Getting tired of the limited space here in Pinellas County FL. Rocketry in the most densely populated county in Florida can be a challenge. (I lost a scratch built paper towel roll tube fin on an 'E' at Azalea Park this past Saturday...luckily I put American flag stickers on all my rockets, so the retiree whose yard it came down in won't think its a terrorist attack!)

Question - if I complete the 3" tube fin rocket I'm building by then, with a 29 / 38 mm motor mount, will I be able to buy an H at the field that day? Or do I need to coordinate with someone ahead of time? Thanks for any info you all can give me...I never really figured out the logistics of certing.

Originally posted by FLRockets
Question - if I complete the 3" tube fin rocket I'm building by then, with a 29 / 38 mm motor mount, will I be able to buy an H at the field that day? Or do I need to coordinate with someone ahead of time? Thanks for any info you all can give me...I never really figured out the logistics of certing.

To the best of my knowledge, Dennis from New Horizons Hobbies goes to every NEFAR launch. His supply of Aerotech motors varies wildly from month to month so email him ahead of time if you are wanting a particular reload. If Pro38 is your speed though, he ALWAYS has tons of 'em :) There are plenty of people (myself included) that would be glad to loan out a casing for your cert flight. Download, print & bring a NAR certification form with you. There will be plenty of people that will sign off on your certification paperwork as well (again, like me). See you there!

Lance,

Do you know if Dennis requires you to have a LEUP if you buy-n-fly that day, like buy one motor at a time?

Jason

Originally posted by jetra2
Lance,

Do you know if Dennis requires you to have a LEUP if you buy-n-fly that day, like buy one motor at a time?

Jason

Not that I know of.

I have bought H123W and H128W loads from him without a LEUP and was able to store them myself as I did not use them right away.

Originally posted by Donaldsrockets
Not that I know of.

I have bought H123W and H128W loads from him without a LEUP and was able to store them myself as I did not use them right away.

Jason,

My experiences have been the same as Donaldsrockets :) This is true for all motors up to 38mm. Talk to Dennis if you would like to purchase/use any 54mm motors...

And you better get dpatell some pics...he's been asking awfully nicely for a while now ;)

That's good to hear. I didn't want to jump through a buncha hoops that day.

Hey, Donald, think you'll be able to make it? Would like to meet ya!

Alright, Dan, sheesh! Here's your pix. First is of my L1 cert rocket, Big Red. She will be flying on an H97J for the L1 cert.

Jason

Here's the Thumper Jr. Hopefully he'll fly on a I-something and two airstarted G64's.

Jason

Any of the Tampa guys still heading over? My son is studying the solar system in kindergarten this semester so I think I'll take him to the cape on Fri and the launch on Sat. Hopefully you'll cert on Saturday. Have to see what the weather says.

when's the rain date? if it got postponed until the following weekend i could leave deerfield beach, drive to NC, unload the stuff i don't need, load the stuff i will need and fill the trailer with rocket stuff, be there for the 19-20 ang get to jacksonville by tuesday. that would all be good.;)

Originally posted by OccamMD
Any of the Tampa guys still heading over? My son is studying the solar system in kindergarten this semester so I think I'll take him to the cape on Fri and the launch on Sat. Hopefully you'll cert on Saturday. Have to see what the weather says.

We're still planning on going - Jason and I that is. It'll more than likely be a day trip for us. Let us know if you want to meet up beforehand. Pat and I have been Emailing back and forth and he expressed interest in going. I'm not sure though.

Originally posted by Adam Selene
when's the rain date? if it got postponed until the following weekend i could leave deerfield beach, drive to NC, unload the stuff i don't need, load the stuff i will need and fill the trailer with rocket stuff, be there for the 19-20 ang get to jacksonville by tuesday. that would all be good.;)

NEFAR will be launching on the 12th of this month. That's a heck of a lot of driving!

Originally posted by eugenefl
NEFAR will be launching on the 12th of this month. That's a heck of a lot of driving!

FYI, NEFAR will ONLY be launching on Saturday, March 12th. Sunday's launch was cancelled because of the lack (not to mention high cost) of hotel rooms due to Bike Week finishing that weekend over in Daytona Beach.

Be careful on the roads this weekend (Mar 5 & 6) & next weekend (Mar 12 & 13) in the Central Florida area!

Also, NEFAR is allowing only commercial motors to be used until 1:00pm. After that anything goes (commercial & EX)! That also means that anyone wishing to certify must do so before the 1:00pm cut off... (So you can forget all about waiting out the morning winds to cert in the afternoon!)

Originally posted by lalligood
Also, NEFAR is allowing only commercial motors to be used until 1:00pm. After that anything goes (commercial & EX)! That also means that anyone wishing to certify must do so before the 1:00pm cut off... (So you can forget all about waiting out the morning winds to cert in the afternoon!)

Hmm...I may call the trip off. I don't think it's worth 6 hours of driving time to have *maybe* <3 hours of flying time. Wow...this is bad timing. I don't see what you mean by *anything* goes if commercial flying is being limited until 1PM. Lance, is SRA flying this weekend?

Originally posted by eugenefl
Hmm...I may call the trip off. I don't think it's worth 6 hours of driving time to have *maybe* <3 hours of flying time. Wow...this is bad timing. I don't see what you mean by *anything* goes if commercial flying is being limited until 1PM. Lance, is SRA flying this weekend?

Eugene,

Re-read my last post. Again, if anyone wants to attempt a certification flight, then it must be attempted before 1:00pm. After that, no more cert flights... But commercial motors can be used all day long :D Just expect to see a nice display of EX stuff mixed in after 1:00pm.

BTW, SRA launches every third Saturday of the month. The next launch is March 19th. Dennis of New Horizons Hobbies will be there too! C'mon out & join us :)

Originally posted by lalligood
Eugene,

Re-read my last post. Again, if anyone wants to attempt a certification flight, then it must be attempted before 1:00pm. After that, no more cert flights... But commercial motors can be used all day long :D Just expect to see a nice display of EX stuff mixed in after 1:00pm.

BTW, SRA launches every third Saturday of the month. The next launch is March 19th. Dennis of New Horizons Hobbies will be there too! C'mon out & join us :)

D'oh! Forehead SMACK! Alrighty then...we be flyin' rockets.

Just made reservations for Sean and I at the Cape, so we'll be there. Hope to see you all. Now I gotta find a hotel room, or rent a camper.

How close can we drive up to the launch site? Good roads?

Here's what I'm planning to fly Saturday.

From left to right

- BARnone -- 24mm scratch (search for the TRF thread)
- PML Ariel -- L1 cert attempt with Pro38 2-grain
- Crayon -- 38mm loosely based on Bob Kaplow's plan (Pro38 1 grain)
- Weasel clone -- 29mm; just something I slapped together this weekend
- TinyTHOR -- 24mm scratch downsize (also has a TRF thread)

The Weasel clone still needs paint, so it might fly nekkid or with just primer.
Should kick up there with the F25 in my box!

I may also bring my Shrox SHX-15B, but I need to repair the shock cord
(thanks to a short E30 delay last month).

Well, since we're talking line-ups...

I'm not going to be flying all that much. Three rockets.

Big Red, H97J, L1 CERT FLIGHT (w00t!)
Thumper Jr. I357T or I300T (I'm thinking the I300T, but I've waited for SO long to fly an I357....maybe I'll just fly both! :D)
29mm Big Daddy, EM G37. (This flight is a maybe...I just want to see what the EM motors are like.)

Jason

This is gonna be great, I wish we could get Joe out there as well, seems like he would have a blast.

Anybody find a hotel close to the site? I need to locate a good spot for Friday night. Apparently its bike week this week, so stay clear of Daytona, Sebring has something going on as well. I want to get close to avoid the traffic Saturday morning. I can only imagine how screwed up that is going to be.

Definitely take 75 to Ocala if you can.

Originally posted by OccamMD
Anybody find a hotel close to the site? I need to locate a good spot for Friday night. Apparently its bike week this week, so stay clear of Daytona, Sebring has something going on as well. I want to get close to avoid the traffic Saturday morning. I can only imagine how screwed up that is going to be.

Definitely take 75 to Ocala if you can.

I'd say that there is a near 0% chance of finding a hotel room within a 50 mile radius of Daytona (which NEFAR is well within) because of Bike Week. That is the reason that NEFAR cancelled Sunday's launch (lack of hotel room availability) since a considerable number of the club membership is based in Jacksonville (1.5-2 hr drive one way)...

Actually following the driving directions to NEFAR as though you are coming from Orlando (i.e., taking I-4) is going to be a reasonable safe bet. You ultimately just want to stay away a few miles away from where I-95 meets I-4. The back roads to get from Orlando to NEFAR are always going to be less travelled.

BTW, since others have mentioned what they are bringing to the launch, I thought I'd throw out there what I'm bringing...
1) USR Miniroc 1.2. With one of the older G80-10 (which I already have), it should comfortably brack Mach :)
2) USR Banshee. I thought I'd gone insane when I launched it last month on a H238T-M. Well, I'm going to do it again! Heck, I might even use the higher impulse H220T if Dennis from New Horizons has one!
3) USR Sentra SRB 2.7. Extremely unlikely that I'll be flying it (the planets would have to be in perfect alignment & the motors just about fall into my lap) but I want to bring it to show it off if nothing else :D

It's quite likely that other rockets will follow me out to the field but I haven't decided just yet... You'll just have to come out there to see what they are!

I ended up getting a hotel in Titusville for Friday noght. We'll hang out there after the Cape. There is nothing open around the launch site and even all of the campers are sold out in Tampa for bike week.

We'll drive up 95 early Saturday, seems like we'll be heading in the opposite direction of traffic.

T-minus 35 hours... NWS JAX is calling for:
Saturday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 71. Breezy, with a west
wind 10 to 13 mph increasing to between 18 and 21 mph.

I hope they're wrong about the wind!

Countdown....T-minus 34 hours until we arrive at the field, aproximately. (going on getting at the field at 9am.)

I CAN'T FREAKIN' WAIT!!!!!!!!!

Yahoooooo!

Ok...Was weighing rockets earlier...

The Thumper Jr. weighs in at a hair under 7 pounds with 38/480 casing in it.

Big Red weighs in at 3 pounds dry (no chute or motor)

That should be all I'll be flying. I'd rather not rush to get the Big Daddy touched up in time, but you never know. I think I'm just going to fly my AT IQSY Tomahawk on a F50-9T to level out the day. :)

:D:D:D:D

Most of youse guys probabyl don't realize how long I've been planning this day...it's been at least 4 years!

w00t!!

Jason

Originally posted by brianc
T-minus 35 hours... NWS JAX is calling for:

I hope they're wrong about the wind!

I'm confused... :confused: When they say west wind, do they mean 'out of the west' or 'blowing west'?

As far as NEFAR goes,

wind going west -> east = OK (towards the field & barn)

Wind going east -> west = BAD BAD BAD (that's towards the road & tree line :eek: )

I CAN'T FREAKIN' WAIT!!!!!!!!!

I am sooooo with you on that! :)

That should be all I'll be flying. I'd rather not rush to get the Big Daddy touched up in time, but you never know. I think I'm just going to fly my AT IQSY Tomahawk on a F50-9T to level out the day. :)

If that's all you're flying, that's OK...but would you mind brining along your USR 2-stager (the name just escapes me) please? I'd like to take a good look at it. Thanks!

See everyone out there.

Back