comanche-3 2 streamers??

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

William

Reaction score
just got back into rocketry, and I'm getting ready to build the comanche-3 , recovery is to streamers, now this thing is really suppose to get up there, how dose ever one feel about the streamers, for recovery,good or bad also would love any tips for the build and recovery system thanks.

umm, i wouldn't know because i dont own one, but when a rocket is going 2600 feet its better to have it come down faster and have to fix a fin or two then have it float to oblivion with thermals

Put a longer shockcord in it, and make sure you have good, strong fin fillets.

As for the two streamers - they really help with visibility. They are wide and reflective, so it's much easier to see the rocket coming down from altitude. It will fall plenty fast enough, don't worry about that, just don't launch it on really windy days, and you'll be fine.

Loopy

Oh, also - drill two small holes in the first stage above where the engine sits. This will help with ignition of the second stage by not allowing the first stage to get blown away by the ejection charge before the second stage lights.

Loopy

I've always wanted a Commanchee, they are really cool. I believe Robert Dehate put in little timers so that he could use composite motors. Really cool!

The dual streamers are for visibility, I believe. I personally would put some marking chalk in there and use one of the streamers and let it fall hard. Glue those fins on good!

Yep, use the streamers!

When I flew mine last I used a 12" chute for some dumb reason that I can't think of, and walked a mile to find the darn thing. I have switched it back over to streamers now. Recovery is not very hard on it.

...Fudd

YA ,I am definutly going to use both streamers, and 1/16th holes in first stage. now also I know that streamers should be 1to10 so 1 inch of streamer for every 1 foot of rocket right?? now how do you determen the width of streamer.?? also weather to use 2 streamers or one?? sorrey for all the new guy ?? but it is the best way to learn!! THANKS

I love my Commanchee-3 and i'll atest to the 2600feet whooo does this baby move!!!

I've flown mine several times losing the sustainer on the supplied streamer on it's maiden flight, D12-0,B6-0,B6-6, got back both 1st and 2nd stage. While rebuilding the sustainer I installed 2 -10 foot long 1" wide surveyor's tape streamers one flourescent yellow the other orange. They are fold/rolled and stack on top of themselves attached to the same shockcord. First flight with this system was on a cloudless, bright sunny, nearly calm wind day (0-3 mph on the anemometer) the motor combination was a D12-0, B6-0. A8-5. The model was complelely out of sight for a twenty second count. Finially we picked up those long streamers just coming into view, landing almost a full minute later. I reloaded the streamers and packed the model for the next flight with a D12-0, C6-0, C6-7.... This flight was amazing!!! She jumped off the pad and was gone before we blinked, again got stage one and two back but never saw the sustainer again:( Rebuild sustainer #3. I now fly it with the D12-0,B6-0, A8-5 or B6-6 combinations.. call be chicken but I get the pieces back to fly another day, I also have a 13mm version called the mini-manchee, the flys on A10-0T, 10-0T, A4-4t's that gets great flight also. Micro-Manchee 7mm dia. is made but staging requres some motor alterations i'm not willing to do...Well not at club launches anyway;)

Great pic rdbones!! how inportent would you say the two holes into the 1st stage micromeister??

Originally posted by william
how inportent would you say the two holes into the 1st stage micromeister?? [/B]

to be honest, only slightly, the vent holes are a great help with gap stagged models this isn't really the case with the commanchee-3. I've flown it both ways...in all cases the booster to second stage has never been an ignition problem. Vent if you like, or want to experiment with the technique, but it isn't necessary.
Heres a pic of the 13mm mini-manchee..there are still A10-0's out there to be had this little model makes for a really neat 3 stager:D

YA thanks for the advice on the 2 holes, micromeister. i do think i will fly this one stock and see how it goes, then posible clone one for experamenting, i just put the first set of fins on waiting for glue to dry. i will keep you updated .

Back