• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Found Com-Spec

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike,

What frequency or does it matter? Do you have a price range?

Frequency doesn't matter. I would be willing to pay $300 for transmitter and receiver.

Spend the money for the 30 milliwatt transmitter. I use the discontinued AT-2B transmitter which is 50 milliwatt and have trouble picking up the signal at times.

They are good. I just found the packing slip when I bought mine back in 2012.
It saved me last weekend. It was about a mile from launch site.

IMHO, the Walston/Comspec stuff is getting way too overpriced. For what they charge, if one gets a Ham Tech license, they can get a decent handi-talkie, attenuator, Yagi antenna and tracker on the Ham band that would likely have better performance for RDF work. It was the route I took until I got hooked on GPS tracking.
When I started out in 2006, Walston was the only game in town for RDF except that technically a Ham licensed flier could have cobbled a system together though I never met anyone in my early days who did that.
Worked with a Walston unit at home on the ground and was amazed at the Yagi, attenuator and the directionality of the system. Walston/ComSpec got dinged for the illegal 50Mw output of their earlier trackers but I was able to get one that had my Ham callsign hard coded into it so it‘s perfectly legal (at least in the FCC’s eyes) for me to use/fly.
There are so many other choices for rocketry now I expect not too many would be considering a Walston/Comspec system simply due to the cost. Kurt Savegnago

There are so many other choices for rocketry now I expect not too many would be considering a Walston/Comspec system simply due to the cost.

I flew my Comm Spec at MWP a few years ago and there were 3 other flyers sharing the same frequency. The advantage of GPS is the you can select alternate channels to avoid conflict. That should be considered in the purchase decision.

That's why it's good to buy more than one transmitter. I have 3-4 of them.

I flew my Comm Spec at MWP a few years ago and there were 3 other flyers sharing the same frequency. The advantage of GPS is the you can select alternate channels to avoid conflict. That should be considered in the purchase decision.

If you buy the transmitter from us we can change the channel on site

Last edited:
Back