Colorado Rocketry Club Could Use Some Help

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redneck_Pyro

Reaction score
The rocketry club that serves the Denver front range is about to lose its launch site and could really use your help.

My club CRASH https://crashonline.org/ has been launching rockets at our site at Bear Creek Lake Park for some 30 odd years. Recently the park got a new manager and they decided that they didn't want us there any longer. We still aren't sure why. But, it turns out that the citizens of the city that owns the park did want us, and so did Boeing, high schools, boy scout groups, etc. So to make a very long story short, we almost had a bill passed that guaranteed our rights to be there in the future and then COVID hit and we lost all our momentum with the Council and now we need to remind them again that we won't go away. What we need from our fellow rocketeers in the community is some help with reminding them. Now that they have moved to online only meetings, people no longer have to show up in person to speak, they just have to connect to the meeting before it starts. So all I am asking is for a number of us to call in and take 3 minutes of their time. All you would need to say is "I am here for the rockets" and then spend 3 minutes talking about whatever you feel like. The council and the city staff already know all the reasons why we should stay, we just need to make their night a little bit longer. They can't start their regular meeting until all of the public comments have been completed. My goal for their next meeting is to add 2 hours to their night, but hopefully more.

If you are willing to help, the next meeting is Monday 10/12 at 7pm Mountain time, but you need to call in before. If there is interest I will post the meeting info here on Monday when the city publishes it.

Tips on speaking at these meeting is here: https://www.lakewood.org/Government...ticipating-in-City-Council-meetings#section-1

If you are interested in more background info on what we have done so far, let me know, but it is a lot more than would fit in this post.

If you have read this far then you must be kind of interested as to why we are trying so hard to keep this site. To put it simply, it is the only launch site of its kind that is within a 30 minute drive of nearly the entire Denver Metro area. It is a beautiful place to fly. It has some unique characteristics that brings kids from the Air Force Academy, Colorado School of Mines, TARC teams from all over the area, private schools, public schools, boy scouts, girl scouts, civil air patrol, etc. Only place on the front range that can handle this diverse of a crowd twice a month and year round. So, really, any help that we could get from this community would be great.

Check it out on Google Maps: Launch Site

Please reply if interested.

Anyone is welcome to call in, and if you would like to let the Lakewood City Council know why rocketry is important, here is the dial-in information, just make sure to call in before 7pm Mountain.

City of Lakewood Website: https://www.Lakewood.org/CouncilVideos
or
Lakewood Speaks: https://lakewoodspeaks.org/

Phone Number for Public Comment: (1-301-715-8592)
Webinar ID: (940 0339 0754)
(press # after entering the webinar id then press # once more to join the meeting)
Press *9 to Request to Speak
(You will be prompted when to speak. After speaking, you can hang up or hold to speak on a different agenda item)
Press *6 to Unmute

Estes has been great. The thing we need right now more than anything is for people to call in tonight and voice their support for us. The more people that call in, the harder it is for the city council to ignore us. It doesn't matter if you live in Colorado or not, they have to listen and every call makes a difference.

Saw this in the "Similar threads" list - How'd it come out?
The park manager was successful in getting rid of CRASH. No more club rocket launches in Metro Denver, the birthplace of Estes and the first national events. Model rocketry was way too problematic for the new image and uses of the park. Gentrification and 21st Century sensibly rule in Metro Denver/Lakewood. No room for old 1960's Cold Warrior dudes and their dangerous and noisy rockets, impinging for a few hours biweekly on other, more important and PC uses.

Due to the great work of Redneck Pyro and others, CRASH was able to find a new, more remote site East of FL Lupton in Weld County, outside the metro area. Just the die hards and a few newbies attend now, no large crowds or Scout Groups anymore. The access to the site can be difficult without four wheel drive or high clearance, keeping out the crowds.

Longmont Rocket Club's local park permit was also not renewed but Ft. LUPTON is not that far away, so their remnants basically merged with CRASH remnants. I heard COSROCS is also looking for a new LPR site in Colorado Springs. :(

Colorado is still great for high end HPR. SLVR Alamosa just got a 52K AGL waiver! SCORE, Tripoli and NCR doing well. Bring your big rockets and big bucks to NSL! :)

Last edited:
Well, thanks for that reply, but sorry for the setbacks. I was curious because a former colleague with the USBR in Denver wanted to get his boy into it. Me being 'way over here in Pittsburgh, I won't be able to participate in those high energy escapades you folks have the flat land & big sky for - at least east of the mountains. I'll tell you, when Colorado Springs, home of the Air Force Academy, can't host a Rocketry club, we're a nation in sad shape!

Around here the geography and higher population density is a huge issue. If you can get 1000' in two directions without a tree line, it's - well, it's just unheard of, pretty much. Western PA is trees and houses, pretty much, even farm land doesn't tend to have large, clear ranges. Pittsburgh Space Command has a site an hour or so north with a waiver, but still enough rocket-eating trees lurking about. Pittsburgh Tripoli and SHARC have sites south of Pittsburgh, but they are harder for me to get to, and again, they aren't clear of hazards. My big hope right now is for the Little Blue remediation site to be made available, I gotta bug that guy again. They have a mile east-west and over 2 miles north and south and they actively manage to keep any trees off of it. And it's like 25 minutes from my place. I really need to see if I can get the aforementioned clubs in our area, which would include any clubs in western Ohio and the panhandle of West Virginia, to join me in working this - I don't know of any such clear area anywhere within 100 miles where they actually don't want trees and crops on it.

Best to you guys out west, I sure hope something turns around for you.

The park manager was successful in getting rid of CRASH. No more club rocket launches in Metro Denver, the birthplace of Estes and the first national events. Model rocketry was way too problematic for the new image and uses of the park. Gentrification and 21st Century sensibly rule in Metro Denver/Lakewood. No room for old 1960's Cold Warrior dudes and their dangerous and noisy rockets, impinging for a few hours biweekly on other, more important and PC uses.

Due to the great work of Redneck Pyro and others, CRASH was able to find a new, more remote site East of FL Lupton in Weld County, outside the metro area. Just the die hards and a few newbies attend now, no large crowds or Scout Groups anymore. The access to the site can be difficult without four wheel drive or high clearance, keeping out the crowds.

Longmont Rocket Club's local park permit was also not renewed but Ft. LUPTON is not that far away, so their remnants basically merged with CRASH remnants. I heard COSROCS is also looking for a new LPR site in Colorado Springs. :(

Colorado is still great for high end HPR. SLVR Alamosa just got a 52K AGL waiver! SCORE, Tripoli and NCR doing well. Bring your big rockets and big bucks to NSL! :)

That's just insane. Hundreds of thousands of acres of BLM land... owned by the taxpayers... yet it is difficult to find a place to launch? Maybe these bureaucrats need to be reminded of who actually owns this land?

I'm sorry. Let's play their little game, rather than rant, let's get a grant.

I propose the "Exploratory Launch Sub-Orbital Research Group Yokefellows" or as we Yokefellows refer to it: ELS-ORGY. Our mission: To find new and innovative ways to expand the horizon of sub-orbital exploration. Which translates to... Let's launch some rockets.

Which in reality means absolutely nothing... which should be perfect for getting a grant.

It is very tough indeed. SCORE is on a private ranch with tremendous support from the Beulah Fire Department. Tripoli is on private property and NCR on BLM. Lots of regulations on BLM land. Anything close to a Metro area is a rare and valued asset.

For this remediation site I mentioned above, I've pitched the idea that the owning corporations could be seen to be supporting STEM activities in the local schools. These days there is SO much more to rocketry than whoosh, pop, drop. Almost every discipline of mechanical/aerospace chemical & electrical engineering and materials science can be delved into as deeply as you'd like, as well as the electronics, coding for real time events and controls, understanding photography, understanding weather, and very especially, industrial-style, honest-to-God real hazard safety management practices. As well, the satisfaction and "learning experiences" of actual hand-on building, pride of craftsmanship, seeing what YOU designed and built now jump off the pad and make a successful flight the way you planned it (or else it's a "learning experience"). The various recovery methods and tracking/GPS. understanding regulatory agencies (if that's possible... ;) ) and interfacing with them - this is a very, very valuable hobby/sport for our youth teaching very valuable life skills and should be promoted as such.

"[lpr] Rockets pose a concern & a safety to the general public.. (and are therefore now banned)"

But owning / having a gun accessible in just about every american household is constitutionally guaranteed..

:rolleyes:
That IS insane! (The LPR rocket part!)

Welcome to "Bubble wrap America"! I think we should ban parks! People might have a branch fall on them, or trip on a root, or get poison ivy, on and on. Despite rocketry's very good safety record, we get this kind of bovine excrement, and how you get that out of the south end of a north-bound horse is a bit of a mystery to me!

That IS insane! (The LPR rocket part!)

Welcome to "Bubble wrap America"! I think we should ban parks! People might have a branch fall on them, or trip on a root, or get poison ivy, on and on. Despite rocketry's very good safety record, we get this kind of bovine excrement, and how you get that out of the south end of a north-bound horse is a bit of a mystery to me!
And imagine if a soccer ball hits someone in the head! That's allowed, but rockets that have near perfect record of safety, nahhh.

Back