• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Colonial Viper

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKPilot

Reaction score
Does anyone have a new, packaged, Colonial Viper sitting around they'd like to part with?

Thanks

Aw schucks, noone?

Time to clone.

Why clone? Roskoracer and I had a pretty good scratch build thread of the new
BSG Viper MkII. Though I don't have the patterns any more, he might.

Now that's an idea! I'm thinking a BT-80 upscale would be cool.

Mike:

I found some of the files... I have a copy of your patterns that I transfered to a powerpoint slide and which only have the patterns for the cockpit, the rudder, the main wings, the pattern for the oval centering rings, the top detail and the side pattern. I also have the patterns I made for my Viper, which only have the patterns for the cockpit, rudder, wings, top and bottom details. I also have the decal sheet I used for the viper. What I am missing are the patterns for the engine shrouds which were three. I am also missing the shroud pattern for the forward section. Those should not be hard to come up with.

If interested post a note. Just in case you need to be inspired, I do not have pictures of Mike's Viper but I kept a few of my Viper...

Viper MK2 LN - 001.jpg

Viper MK2 LN - 002.jpg

Last edited:
Drool . . .

I'm in if you could send them to me.

Btw, has everyone ever succesully built and flown a Cylon Raider? I know Estes had plans, but axed those. Has anyone ever done one on their own?

Here are the patterns for both versions of the Viper. Patterns for the shrouds are missing but if any one decides to build one of these let us know. I could post more details to help the build. I am almost sure Mike will chip in also. If I had Rocksim V9 I would have built a sim for this one. I started on on V8 but it just did not look right.

Edit: I could not add the decal sheet because I could not make the file small enough to post here.

View attachment ViperMKII- Patterns by Mike Howie.pdf

View attachment ViperMKII- Patterns by Raul Pena.pdf

Last edited:
I've been thinking about making one. by vacuforming the body in parts then designing a pod for it to "fly on" i'll scan my scetches for you.

Thanks Mike for posting the shroud patterns. This time I saved them in a local drive for future reference.

Mike this is awesome! I can't thank you enough, sincerely.

Now can you get to work on that Cylon Raider I'm wanting you to do Research and Development on? LOL!:D

Just lost one on e-bay - THANK GOODNESS! I started my bidding before everyone responded here and on YORF. I put my upper limit and it held right up until the end and some outbid me. After everyone's responses I was really hoping somebody out there was going to snipe(r) me and they did.

Now it'll be time to start collecting parts for all these great plans people have shared.

Still awaiting a Cylon Raider type, from the '70s but that can wait.

Just lost one on e-bay - THANK GOODNESS! I started my bidding before everyone responded here and on YORF. I put my upper limit and it held right up until the end and some outbid me. After everyone's responses I was really hoping somebody out there was going to snipe(r) me and they did.

Now it'll be time to start collecting parts for all these great plans people have shared.

Still awaiting a Cylon Raider type, from the '70s but that can wait.

I saw a boxed, sealed, Centuri Orion this morning. With a few minutes left, it was at $73. At about 30 seconds, I bid $90, and that got blown by, so I upped it to $105, and in the final few seconds it ran up to well over $200, and ended at $237 or somewhere north of that.

Wow, and I thought the economy would enable me to buy an old classic. Apparently some folks are not aware they should be cautious, and saving their money. :) Or they are just plain ticked off, saying "Screw It", and buying like there is no tomorrow...

What's ironic about the Orion is that there is a clone out there for a whole lot less. So it must've been some die-hard collector, I hope.

As for me, I wasn't involved in rocketry back in my youth so I don't get with the sentimental thing. And having seen people clone this, that's my path for a whole lot less.

the one i want to do is the origenal one

Just reviewing our posts on the Viper... Have you thought of buying one of the re-released plastic Colonial Vipers from Revell? It is pretty big and the details are good. You can use that as a base model to scratch build a rocket or you can PMC it. You can also use it as a reference for you rocket's details. The new Viper MK II does not have as much surface details as the old Colonial Viper but I prefer the sleek look.

As for a Cylon Rader: I discussed this with Scott and he came up with an idea... make a model of the CR and use it as the NC for a long pod, much like the Space 1999 rocket from Centuri. I think this way it would look better than placing the CR close to the base where some kind of fins would be, and having a long pod sticking out the front of it. I cannot see a CR model flying without any serious modifications. One last idea, why not make it fly like one of those rocket flying saucers...it will not go high but it may fly....

i'm thinking along the lines of the enterprise and some of the star wars models and use a under carrage pod.

Hi Charlaine,

Unless you just want to have your own original kit, don't pay auction prices. It's pretty easy to clone a Viper. Go here: https://www.vernarockets.com/ and click the link to "Verna's Vipers."

There's a build article, tons of photos, a list of where I got the decals, resin nc, etc. and a bunch of mods you might want to try. I would be happy to scan the Estes plans and email them to you, just let me know.

Scroll all the way down the page to see some very impressive Vipers built by several other flyers. All of them are really nice and some are HUGE but my all time favorite is an upscale built by Dr. Sue DeBerg. Sue's website also has her construction write up and photos. There's a link to her site on the same page.

When you get your Viper finished send me some photos and join Red Squadron. We can always use another lady "fighter jockey."

;)

Verna

Well, felgarcarb! I see that now.

I must have had too much ambrosia before I posted. I'm sorry Charlaine, I don't have that.

Verna

Holy smokes! I just saw the Cylon Raider from the current BG. I'm old-fashioned, I don't care for the new one all that much.

Of course I only know BG with Lorne Greene.

while I like the looks of the new raiders, they use the old raiders and "their bombers" in the new bsg. I still love the old bsg. "I miss dagget"

Holy smokes! I just saw the Cylon Raider from the current BG. I'm old-fashioned, I don't care for the new one all that much.

Of course I only know BG with Lorne Greene.

Too bad, the new one was very well done. I wasn't impressed at 1st but the writing has been the best Sci-Fi on TV since B5, imho.

Nice Vipers Verna, and any Calvin and Hobbes fan is OK in my book. :cool:

Holy smokes! I just realized that I have one the original (I think) Estes Vipers! I got this one already assembled by a fellow club member that passed away a few years ago. His wife donated his rockets to the club to auction for TARC funds. I've never flown it, or any of the other rockets I got from his estate.

https://sears572.com/gallery/BobHewes/Battlestar_Galactica_Colonial_Viper

After reading this thread I'll keep this one as a tribute to him and try my hand at building another one. Maybe even an upscale!

Cliff

Would anyone happen to have an electronic copy of Viper Decals....Estes original size...good enough to upscale?

Thanks!

treeb52

Nice Vipers Verna, and any Calvin and Hobbes fan is OK in my book. :cool:[/QUOTE]

Thank you!

We love Calvin & Hobbes. Randy loves the Space Man Spiff episodes and I love when he's building all the snowmen.

Verna

Back