College Stuff...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ozymandias

Reaction score
Hello my fellow TRF'ers. I'm sitting here in the library studying with a friend for our college algebra exam tomorrow morning. This is my second semester here at Embry-Riddle and I have mixed emotions about college in general. I really like the academic side of college. I'm doing work that is really challenging which is great. All my professors are very dedicated to teaching and are very acessible. My computer programming teacher, for example, will help you until you don't want help anymore. It is very obvious that they love to teach. On the other hand, I am really growing tired of the freshman dorms and some of my fellow students. I'd say a good 90% of them are immature idiots. They stay up all night and make a din that could wake the dead. They damage things in the hall and make a mess and are just generally destructive. I feel bad for the groundskeeping staff because they have to clean up after people who break things. Part of me feels like a huge geek for not joining in and having "fun" with them but I have to wake up at 6:30am Monday through Friday for class. I think I have every right to get sleep as they do. The way I figure it, my family is paying way too much money to send me here for me to act stupid and give anything less than %110 effort in my studies. So far, my hard work has paid off; I am getting great grades and even scored an internship with Pratt & Whitney Space Propulsion this summer but my social life is all but non-exsistent. I don't have many real friends here which really blows. Did (or are you currently) having problems like mine in college?

Originally posted by Ozymandias
I'd say a good 90% of them are immature idiots.

I have the same problems at high school, probably every other high school and college student here on TRF, too.

...but my social life is all but non-exsistent. I don't have many real friends here which really blows.

Join the club. :(

Exactly what David said!

After going to a camp this summer and being in a dorm for a week, I can say it isn't just college students. It was even a nerd camp to begin with that I went to and probably 80% of them (average age of about 9th grade) were immature.

I'd say about 95% of our high school consists of immature idiots.

E-R has a newspaper. Submit a letter.

My sons both maintained a social life while in college. They could have done better had they not. As graduate students they make their work their social life. They're doing better, and a pleased with the result. My daughter took note and has made school her social life all along, from the time she got into college at 14, to present, having just been accepted into the advanced master's program (5 years for MS rather than 4 for BS). She "socializes" by working in the lab with the rest of the research team.

That was all their doing. I didn't tell them to. I didn't even tell them I did the same by using the weekly speaker meetings in physics and engineering, and the sign language and Darwin Society (anthropology) meetings as my social life. Maybe not exactly my lines of study, but still interesting things that were part of education. I may not have been learning *my* science, but I was still learning.

"Professional" means you profess to be something, not just do something. If you love it enough to be it, rather than just do it, making it your life is a pleasure, not a chore.

Stick to it and set an example, and you may prompt some of the problem people to remember why they're there, and become your colleagues. The rest, there's no help for them. As life goes on they tend to weed themselves out.

ok, a social life in college is quite easy to attain, however, you have to compromise. if you think you're going to go out and party all the time, pretty soon you're going to be too tired to go to class. after that, you'll start skipping, then your grades will sink to hell. trust me, my first year of college, i had a semi-social life, i had my friends and all, but when they'd call me, i'd tell em i couldnt go out. this resulted in really good grades. however, last semester i decided i'd party it up. im lucky i didnt flunk out. my grades fell through the sink hole. keep your head up. college can be crazy. as long as you do your work, make FRIENDS with the teachers, and mix in casual social get togethers...you'll be fine. just dont get addicted to partying, because its QUITE addictive. hehehehehe.:p

I'd say a good 90% of them are immature idiots.

That sounds like it's a little LOW. But I digress... :p

Dude, you are in DAYTONA BEACH. Prepare yourself for a loooooong string of distractions--I mean social opportunities in the next few months: Daytona 500 race week (I know you are probably tired of hearing the drivers testing at the track!), followed by Bike Week, followed by Spring Break! And if you need any more (immediate) distractions/attractions while doing school work, head on over across the street to Daytona Beach Community College.

BTW, the Daytona 500 has become such a yearly Mecca-like migration that NEFAR cancelled their February launch because of it being the same weekend!

All kidding aside, you are there to go to school. You are investing in your future. Other students aren't likely to become more serious no matter what YOU try. They've got to want to do it themselves... But you'll get the last laugh when you have potential employers fawning all over you while the rest of 'em are unemployed. Jobs in the aeronautics field aren't given out...they're earned. Keep your head up!

I have many friends who screwed around in college (Animal house types) and seriously regret it now. Just the fact that you notice their immaturity puts you way ahead of them! Keep up your hard work and don't slack off! You will have plenty of time later for a social life.....besides...you have TRF!

Lamar

I remember having the same feelings when I went to college. it's like that for the first year or so. keep with it though - by the time you are late soph or junior you will have solid friendships that will last a long time after graduation. don't miss out on one of the best times of your life.

Hey! Keep your head up! College is hard but it will get better - especially after you get to walk! I've been here at college for 6 years (going to be 7) pursuing my degree. I changed majors and that has taken a lot out of me. I had a roommate first semester who would come home from partying and leave his dentures on my desk. Rather unsavory. As for social life - it is good to be balanced. Anytime you do too much of one thing it can be bad. I finally connected with FCA (Fellowship of Christian Athletes) and Water Polo. I met my wife through FCA. I would say find a group of friends outside of classes that you can just relax and get together. It is good just to hang out and do something other than school.

As for internships/work experience it is invaluable. I have about 2000 hours of internships and it really helps out. I've gotten a lot of interviews from the amount of experience. When they look at a resume and see one all academic and one with work experience they really like the experience side. I work in construction so it is nice to know how to drive a nail as well as why it works.

Just before I changed majors I seriously considered going to a 3 year tech school to become a CNC machinist. I gave it a really hard look. I decided a degree would be better. I still look back at that choice and wonder if it was right. I know when I graduate next year that I will (after getting a job) go to night school for that though. Find something that is a passion that you like and pursue that. I know many electrical engineers that are just doing it for the money. Do it because you love it- money is just an added bonus.

Remember - an education doesn't have to be given in a classrooom or determined by a degree.

Edward

I never lived in a dorm, but I have no doubt that I'd have been one of the hell raisers if I had. I spent the bulk of my last few years in college trying to repair the damage that I did in the first year and a half. I lived locally, as did most of my friends, which made for a great social life, but only average grades. I knew that I'd crossed some kind of threshold when I spent one night studying for a mid-term despite the repeated efforts of my friends to get me to go out and have "a beer". In the end I graduated with a respectable GPA, but between work and socializing, it could have been a lot better. I paid my own way because that's how it was done back then, but you have the added responsibility of not wasting your parent's money. The first year is generally thought of as being the time to weed out the goof off's from the actual students. As for making friends, make it through your freshman year, and see who is left standing come next year. It will probably be a lot easier to socialize with those who are in the same situation you're in, and they'll be a lot easier to identify after all the party hounds go home.

Originally posted by edwardw
I had a roommate first semester who would come home from partying and leave his dentures on my desk. Rather unsavory.

Wow. That's dedication to craft. Was he a hockey player or something?

He wasn't a hockey player or anything. I left out that they were usually left in a puddle of vomit from drinking too much the night before.

Edward

Chunky! How long did this guy last?
And how's this for a generation gap? I looked at your profile and you were born in the middle of my first semester of college. I should check my journals and see how many classes I blew off on that day. :p
Seems like a LONG time ago. Not a time in my life that I'd return fondly to. 1981 was a pretty good year, but 1980 was pretty lousy.

Ozy,

I'm also in college, and I just transferred so I kind of see what you are talking about. However, I was (note the use of past tense) kind of the opposite of you. Half the reason I transferred is because I was one of the 90% group that you mentioned. Last semester I was at USC (the REAL USC, btw--the University of SOUTH CAROLINA:D...let's not get into that debate) and I was a music major, and was in marching band. From this I got an amazing group of friends there, started dating someone, and by the end of the semester I was chosen to be a pledge for Kappa Kappa Psi, one of the two music frats on campus. The problem was, I focused on my social life way too much, and by the end of the semester I also had a not-so-great GPA. That, plus my decision to change my major led me to transfer to Appalachian State. I lost my KKPsi bid, and now I'm separated from all of my friends. I was lucky enough to have several friends here already, and that allowed the change to be much easier. It's still difficult, though, and I'm still trying to build a good social base. However, now I'm much more wary of how I spend and manage my time...I can't fall into the same senario again.

Despite our stories being quite the opposite, we can both draw from each other. I can tell you this--try to find a group of people or an organization on campus who have the same interests as you. Being a music major and in marching band made it pretty easy for me when I started @ USC and when I transferred to App. Once you find a group of people who you share interests with, that will help you tremendously. Also, I understand that you have to be up early for classes during the week, but on the weekend don't be afraid to be outgoing, and go ahead and see what's going on around you. Trust me, there's a lot, and it's not all bad. Take your weekends as time off, and an opportunity to focus on things other than school. That's my reccomendation to you.

Now as for me, socially I may not have as much trouble, but I know that I need to perform in school now, and I tell ya, it's difficult! I seem to always be able to find a distraction. I'm typically a procrastinator anyways, but sometimes it plus my distraction puts me severely on the line. I'll wait too long and not be able to get something done, or I won't realize something is due for class until it's too late. These are really examples from last semester at USC. I'm trying my best here to do what needs to be done, but it's very difficult, and with it being the beginning of the semester, the hard work hasn't even come yet. Suddenly altering my ways by trying to focus on school more is becoming very difficult...I always seem to want to fit in friends over school. I'm better now than I was, but it's HARD! I know what has to be done, but it's so hard to just do it. I have trouble discovering that motiviation that you so clearly exhibit. Any reccomendations for me?

We may have opposite stories but we're not all that different, and as I said, we can learn off of each other. I also got an internship with my new major, electronic media and broadcasting,
here at App. It's with the John Boy and Billy radio show. That's a sure catch, and I really don't want to loose that! Also check out my birthday on my profile. We really aren't that different. Heh.

Fish,

I lasted one semester before switching rooms, he only lasted a year. 1980 was GREAT! I was born! I mean come on there :) I have a hard time talking to the freshman/sophomores on campus (6 years younger) because I find them so different, immature and clueless. They seem to have no regard for personal responsibility (one sued CSU for failing a class) and generally don't seem to have it together. The conversations I've had with them left me feeling like I lost some intelligence.

Edward

Ozy,

I don't live in the dorms, but I would have to agree with you about the immature kids. In my Psychology class I have "kids" that act like they are 15-16. On friday, we got back our first test. 10-12 kids were complaining because several questions were not on the study guide. (you actually had to open the book) The teacher gave us a study guide and took the whole class time on monday for a review. Some kids were begging for a "curve". Sorry, "No Can Do" with a 105.... Yea, that's right.... we had a chance to get up to 9 bonus points.......

Well, I better shut up so I can get ready to go spend 50 minutes with the babies!!!!!!

Ozy,

I wouldn't sweat it too much. Your freshman year is somewhat important since it sets the tone for the rest of your college career. I studied hard and didn't have much of a social life my first year. That was my choice, but I was significantly motivated by all of my high school teachers who had me convinced I would fail out of school in my first year and should instead be sizing up some steel toe boots for the usual career path in my town. It paid off when I was able to prove to myself that I could handle things academically. Also...you're right about the lack of maturity of freshman. Most of those from my high school that went to my school (Illinois, in case you haven't figured that out) *DID* fail out in the first year. That was in no small part due to over-indulging on their new found freedoms. Take the high road. Put yourself on the right academic path (I think you are). Then pursue social activities that *you* enjoy. For example, I used to spend my saturdays flying sailplanes (the real ones, not toys) with the Illini Glider Club. [You think flying is fun? Try it without an engine some time.] Of course, there's always rockets too...

I went the opposite of you for a few years in colllege. Went out too much and missed class too often. Once I got my life figured out I was in school during the week and only went out on the weekend. I never lived in a dorm though so anything I broke I had to clean up. I don't know that it stopped me, I just got really good at patching drywall.

That being said it is possible to do really well in school and still have a social life. The first thing to think about is all the time during the day you have. I don't know what you do with it but the guys who partied and did well in school were always working during those odd hours. By eight or nine they were done with school work and could go out.

I would also suggest joining some campus organizations. They offer chances to meet new people and leadership opportunities. Professional societies are especially useful but a fraternity, the golf club, poetry club etc would all work. Find something you're interested in but don't have time to pursue in your studies.

One last thing. College doesn't get any easier. Classes just get harder and your schedule will just fill up faster. Just figure out what works best for you.

Thats college life. I went through it too. However, I coudln't afford college so I conscripted 4 yrs to Uncle Sam so that he'd help pay my way. After four years of seeing the world and having to "grow up", I went to college. Well, the University had a STUPID FRIGGIN POLICY that ALL incomming freshman must live in the dorms. Well, they did have a dorm for older students, but it was full, so they stuck me in the dorm with a bunch of testosteron filled, spoiled rotten, 18 yr olds. Everynight it was loud music, which I didn't mind except they never played a complete song:mad: and projectile vomiiting contests in the stairways.

I went to a military college so the barracks (dorms) weren't exactly "party central". But there were plenty of other ways to distract myself from focusing on what I was there for. Illini is right (as usual) - freshman year sets the tone for the rest of your college experience. Establish good habits for yourself now and it will pay off.

For that matter, you're establishing your reputation within the university as well. Remember the old saying - "you only get one chance to make a first impression". The fact that you bagged a P&W internship after one semester is a good sign. Let the other 90% dig themselves a hole; they'll be competing for the "leftover" jobs after graduation.

Also remember Dean Wormer from "Animal House": "Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life".

Far as I'm concerned, it's more proof that the majority of young people in college don't really need to be there. They should just call 1-800-MARINES instead. :p

Originally posted by Chilly
Also remember Dean Wormer from "Animal House": "Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life".

Unfortunately he left out "Unless you plan to go into politics." :p

Originally posted by xenon

After going to a camp this summer and being in a dorm for a week, I can say it isn't just college students. It was even a nerd camp to begin with that I went to and probably 80% of them (average age of about 9th grade) were imature.

I went to a summer camp a few years ago (in 6th grade) and i would say 80% of the people there were immature idiots. The scary part about that is that is was an AIG (academically and/or intelectually gifted) camp. I had left my key in the room, and my room mate got mad and threw a shoe at my head because I interrrupted his Yu-Gi-Oh game....:rolleyes:

This is my second semester here at Embry-Riddle and I have mixed emotions about college in general.

ERAU eh? maybe we'll bump into each other sometime in the next couple years, i will be starting school in the fall... Im not much of a socialite, so i dont forsee any problems with that, but tell me, does the ERAU sched. allow time for building rockets? ;) I know theres the weekends that arent launches and everything...

I visited the campus and must say that i was very impressed with the offerings, and im tired of all the cold up here...

Scott McNeely

Just remember, most people have to go through a period of time being immature idiots. Those who don't do it in high school or college will end up doing it at 30. Trust me. :D

P.S. The doctors tell me I'm MUCH better now.

P.P.S. Yes, I got a 2nd opinion.

Originally posted by scm86
ERAU eh? maybe we'll bump into each other sometime in the next couple years, i will be starting school in the fall... Im not much of a socialite, so i dont forsee any problems with that, but tell me, does the ERAU sched. allow time for building rockets? ;) I know theres the weekends that arent launches and everything...

I visited the campus and must say that i was very impressed with the offerings, and im tired of all the cold up here...

Scott McNeely
You'll have to make time for building rockets. I have several models in my room right now. Just try not to freak out your RA. He's nervous because I have a Mean Machine :eek:. ERAU is a great school in a lot of ways and there's a lot of opportunities if you want to work for them. There's a club on campus that regularly goes to NEFAR launches and is currently working on a rocket for a space shot at Wallops later on this year. You can launch small rockets across the street from the dorms at the soccer field (just watch for aircraft). Hopefully I'll see you on campus. I'll show you the ropes and introduce you to people if you track me down in the fall. What do you plan to major in?

Thanks for the advice guys. I took it upon myself to get out of my room today. I got together with some friends to go see a classical string quartet that gave a free concert tonight. It was really good. We all had a really good time. I've been trying to associate myself with people who feel the same way I do about school. Although they seem to be few and far between they do exsist. It turns out they were looking to get away from the idiots too. I came back to the same noise and crap in the dorms but at least my mindset is a little better. I'm sure most of these losers won't be here next semester.

6:30am Monday through Friday for class

I feel your pain. I get up at 6:30 or earlier and yet I'm the last on the bus. Some get up at 6:00 or 5:30! My freaking school board doesn't have the money to pay for another bus line to pick us up at a reasonable hour for high school! Class starts 7:55. We're in the country so no walking to school! Arrgh! And then we have to wait in the snow for the bus!

Sorry, I'm just tired of my country farmboy school. :D :p :p Don't mind me...

Back