*cold*

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jflis

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Well, for once the weather reports were correct...

today it warmed all the way up to "Way Below Freezing"... ugh! :)

Been nearly a week long cold snap and it doesn't look like it's getting much better soon (though it should be in the teens the rest of the week at least...)

We've had temps as low as 10 below. The north country (northern tip if NH) has had temps as low as -25F with windchills to -55

killin' cold...

Well, Jim...

Come on out here to Sunny San Diego, where we hit a blazing 88 degrees yesterday. And while you're at it, you can bring a few boxes of those wonderful rockets with you... We launch year-round here, and every time I fly one, someone asks me where I got it!

WW

Originally posted by wwattles
Come on out here to Sunny San Diego, where we hit a blazing 88 degrees yesterday. WW

YOU. ARE. EVIL.

Its been below zero all night, but I think a heat wave hit!! Its 8 degrees! Wahoo!

NOT! Stupid weather... Why does this darn planet have to have FOUR seasons? Why cant we just have THREE!? Spring, summer, fall! (wait... DONT answer that...)

It woul be nice...

hey guys...look on the bright side....now there are ample HUGE fields in the form of frozen lakes for our enjoyment. happy launching!!!!

Originally posted by r1dermon
hey guys...look on the bright side....now there are ample HUGE fields in the form of frozen lakes for our enjoyment. happy launching!!!!

You can go out on the frozen lakes when it's below zero if you want.

I'm waiting until it warms up to a "tropical" 40 degrees before I venture out. I have 3 lakes within 5 miles of the house so I'll get there before too long.

Well.. It is all the way up to 12º here today in upstate NY. It was -2º this morning, when I drove my wife to work...

My yellow glue will not dry properly in the basement!! It FREEZES!

Phred

Must...resist...urge...to....pull....wwattles'...post......

Just kidding, San Diego is nice.

Nice and cold and snowy here in MD.

Speaking of bitterly cold weather...

What in the name of Zeus' butthole (great movie reference there) possessed the original colonists to settle in places like Virginia? Summertime, it's a swamp, with high humidity, lots of bugs, and miserable heat. Winter, it's got snow/ice and bitter cold winds. Agriculturally, there's lots of land, once you clear out the insanely dense forests and underbrush. Yeah - great place to settle.

New England isn't much better - at least the summers up there weren't quite as miserable.

Maybe the Spanish weren't so dumb after all, to start out down in Florida...

WW

What possessed the original colonists to settle in places like Virginia? Summertime, it's a swamp, with high humidity, lots of bugs, and miserable heat. Winter, it's got snow/ice and bitter cold winds. Agriculturally, there's lots of land, once you clear out the insanely dense forests and underbrush. Yeah - great place to settle.

Fine question. Though I can't speak for the colonists at Jamestown (them being dead and all), I *can* say that for myself I've always thought of the Northern Virginia climate as being *mild* relative to what I grew up with in the Chicago suburbs.

Personally I'm for all 4 seasons though if it's gonna be this cold, I want a bit of snow with it. Looks like a good NorEaster comin our way this weekend. Great thing is though, if you don't like the climate where you live, there's more even climates available to locate to.

Andy

Isn't San Diego ALWAYS close to 70-80 * all year round?

Northern Utah is doing it's typical freeze/thaw cycle daily. But we have 146% of our water for the water year state-wide - wahoo! We *may* be ending our 4 year drought!

But, I did get a launch in yesterday! :p

Report to come - w good launch pics!

Pat

I'm 50 miles south of Houston Texas on the Gulf Coast. We have reasonably warm weather year around. Instead of freezing cold we get mosquitoes, tics, snakes and many other undesirables. Not to mention a lot of rain fall.

There are four poisonous snakes found in the US. The Gulf Coast has all four.

I guess it's all a matter of perspective.

QuickBurst

I forgot to mention. Rain ... lots of it.

The city of Alvin is 35 miles away. Alvin holds the world record for rainfall.

42 inches in 24 hours.

The coldest I remember was in college (Potsdam NY). Two winter jackets, ski mask, hat, scarf, mittens over gloves. Each time I blinked my eyelashes froze together.

I recall one day while skiing they closed one of the mountains because it was -45F wind chill, but not after we spent half the day skiing it.

THIS weather is mild. Heck, when I go outside the only things that freeze are my nose hairs. Hardly need a jacket for that.

Originally posted by DJ Delorie
THIS weather is mild. Heck, when I go outside the only things that freeze are my nose hairs. Hardly need a jacket for that.

'zactly! Yeah, its cold. But what drives me nuts around here in the DC area is that they close schools for such petty things as cold. Yesterday my kids' school had a 2-hour delayed opening because of the cold. Apparently they were afraid the buses might not start smoothly. This makes no sense to me. As a kid growing up in suburban Chicago, in 12 years I remember school closing at most 3 times due to weather. The attitude there was that it was the parents' responsibility to get their kids to school, and as long as parents could get on the road and move at something over 1 mph, SCHOOL'S ON! Here in the birthplace of nonsense, the attitude is that if the schools can't 100% guarantee your kids' safety getting to and from school, then school's cancelled. Absolutely diriculous! Had we applied that standard in Chicago, we'd have had *no* school from early October to late April!!

WOO WOO! SOUTHEAST KANSAS, IT'S 3:OOPM, 30 MINUTES TILL QUITEN TIME, AND THE WEATHER TURNED FROM 29 DEGREES TO 58 DEGREES, SUNNY, AND ZERO WIND.

OFF TO GO FLY BEFORE IT GETS DARK.

:D :D :D

Originally posted by huxley
Isn't San Diego ALWAYS close to 70-80 * all year round?
Sometimes it seems that way. In fact, we joke around that the weatherman just has to tape a report that says, "Lows in the 40's, highs in the low 70's by the coast, with 80's in the inland valleys. Coastal fog will burn off before noon." That one tape covers about 75% of the year! Some days in summer get warmer, and some days in winter get colder/wetter. Like this year - we had the wettest 2-week period in the history of weather records in San Diego. Last winter we had about a week of temps that were below freezing, reaching highs in the mid-30's.

As for snakes, we've got an ocassional rattler, but those are pretty rare. Bugs? Almost non-existent. Mice? Lots of field mice. Ants? Just a few of the little, non-biting sugar ants.

It seems that most of America has figured out that San Diego is a nice place to live - they announced this morning that the MEDIAN (throw out the highs and the lows and take what's left) home price for the entire county has topped $500,000, with no sign of the growth easing up.

As I heard it put one time a while back: there's no such place as Perfect. Every place on Earth has something wrong with it. :D

WW

I live in beautiful Colorado which I love. We get more sunshine a year than San Diego or Miami Beach, 300 days a year. Today it is 60 degrees, but two weeks ago we didn't get above a balmy 10 for a week. But I don't mind the cold - you can ALWAYS put more clothes on. I like in Fort Collins where I live. It was named the #1 retirement community by AARP. Right near the mountains but also extensive grasslands to the east. You just can't beat Colorado, sorry Texas.

Edward

I have to agree, edwardw. Any chance you belong to crash? The weather here is great for rockets. Also, I like our warm streak we're in righ now - it's 64.6 at my house right now, sunny, and dry. I may have to go launch some rockets soon.

Originally posted by QuickBurst
I forgot to mention. Rain ... lots of it.

The city of Alvin is 35 miles away. Alvin holds the world record for rainfall.

42 inches in 24 hours.

How could you forget that one? I lived in Houston for 5 yrs and Clear Lake for another 5. I still love Houston summers :)

We have had high's in the low 30's this past week in Charlotte. Pretty cold... yet we havent seen a flurry of snow.

C'mon Jim, I was out launching at around -20* last year, & I see you telling Mrs.Bowhunter that it's to cold to launch!! It was right at -20* here this morn(all the way up to +5 now). Just a normal mid-winter day!.
I hope to be getting the Dueces for the tour soon(waiting to hear back from Jason), & I'll try & set the record for coldest launch.

It's good to hear that others are sufferring from global watming too:rolleyes: .

Hey folks sorry hear about your cold weather as currently the weather here is clear with temps. at or around: hi 85°F - lo 56°F. By the way I live in Southern California (Los Angeles).

Basically, our climate here is very good for rocketeers year-round but we hardly have a place to fly. Basically, you can paint your rockets all year round. However, as big as your state is, because of all the fires we had these past years, the fact that the medium home prices here start at mid $300K, and 911 ATF issues, it's getting dificult to find a field to fly legally in Southern California.
As I write this posting Los Angeles county only has one field to fly in and Sand Diego County has two fields, possibly three where they can fly in?

We do have Lucerne (desert) but it's a two hour drive if I leave at 4:00 a.m. and possibly a 3+ hour drive if I leave at 6:00 a.m. and you might as well forget it if their an accident as you'll be stuck in traffic for at least 4+ hours. Mind you that the times I quoted is one way so you can tag another 1-2 hours on your return trip. California's population is approximately 36 Million.

So, moral of the story...luckly you live elsewhere!

Regards,

Jim H.

Sometimes it seems that way. In fact, we joke around that the weatherman just has to tape a report that says, "Lows in the 40's, highs in the low 70's by the coast, with 80's in the inland valleys. Coastal fog will burn off before noon." That one tape covers about 75% of the year!

Yep. Most of the time it's really nice here. The "June Gloom" sucks though. Day after day of drab, featureless gray skies -- gets pretty depressing.

Some days in summer get warmer, and some days in winter get colder/wetter. Like this year - we had the wettest 2-week period in the history of weather records in San Diego. Last winter we had about a week of temps that were below freezing, reaching highs in the mid-30's.

Just a couple months ago we had a thick layer of frost every morning for while.

BTW, back in the late 60's it actually SNOWED here! I was in junior high at the time, and had a truly evil teacher. Everyone else got to leave class and enjoy the (brief) snow -- our teacher not only made us stay inside, he even closed the drapes so we couldn't see it! Yeah Teach, listening to you drone on is SO much more important than seeing a once-in-a-lifetime event!

As for snakes, we've got an ocassional rattler, but those are pretty rare. Bugs? Almost non-existent. Mice? Lots of field mice. Ants? Just a few of the little, non-biting sugar ants.

I love the lack of annoying bugs. I keep my door wide open most of the year and never have anything more annoying than the occasional fly. Mice and rats aren't much of a problem indoors unless you have a really rundown old house. We do get rats living in the tree next door sometimes -- when that happens I put out some traps near our birdfeeders at night. Trouble is, I have to remember to bring them in before I go to bed. Forgot to do that a couple times and nailed a bluejay and a sparrow. :(

It seems that most of America has figured out that San Diego is a nice place to live - they announced this morning that the MEDIAN (throw out the highs and the lows and take what's left) home price for the entire county has topped $500,000, with no sign of the growth easing up.

Housing prices SUCK here, even a dumpy one room apartment in ghettoville costs an arm and a leg to rent.

Gas prices are also among the highest in the country. And most of the nice features of San Diego are vanishing due to overcrowding and development.

But at least we're close to the desert, aka "God's gift to rocketry". :)

Originally posted by jflis
Well, for once the weather reports were correct...

today it warmed all the way up to "Way Below Freezing"... ugh! :)

Been nearly a week long cold snap and it doesn't look like it's getting much better soon (though it should be in the teens the rest of the week at least...)

We've had temps as low as 10 below. The north country (northern tip if NH) has had temps as low as -25F with windchills to -55

killin' cold...

Here's hoping you don't have to walk to school in bare feet uphill both ways..... :D

Originally posted by illini
'zactly! Yeah, its cold. But what drives me nuts around here in the DC area is that they close schools for such petty things as cold. Yesterday my kids' school had a 2-hour delayed opening because of the cold. Apparently they were afraid the buses might not start smoothly. This makes no sense to me. As a kid growing up in suburban Chicago, in 12 years I remember school closing at most 3 times due to weather. The attitude there was that it was the parents' responsibility to get their kids to school, and as long as parents could get on the road and move at something over 1 mph, SCHOOL'S ON! Here in the birthplace of nonsense, the attitude is that if the schools can't 100% guarantee your kids' safety getting to and from school, then school's cancelled. Absolutely diriculous! Had we applied that standard in Chicago, we'd have had *no* school from early October to late April!!

They close schools for cold here too, but it's usually like -20 for a closing. The reason is that if your kid has to wait more than 10 minutes for the bus, her nose is just going to fall off her face.

Originally posted by Vance in AK
C'mon Jim, I was out launching at around -20* last year, & I see you telling Mrs.Bowhunter that it's to cold to launch!! It was right at -20* here this morn(all the way up to +5 now). Just a normal mid-winter day!.
I hope to be getting the Dueces for the tour soon(waiting to hear back from Jason), & I'll try & set the record for coldest launch.

It's good to hear that others are sufferring from global watming too:rolleyes: .

Where do you live that you're seeing that cold. My sister lives in Anchorage and is a dog-sled competitor. Her biggest complaint is that it hasn't been cold enough to properly run her dogs LOL (as I understand it, Anchorage is pretty temperate with the currents). She has to drive into Tok or Fairbanks to get good cold! LOL

My mom (also in Anchorage) loves to watch the weather then call me when it's colder down here... sheesh!

Plus, i'm getting older... used to be I would camp down to about 25F... ...not any more (well, that is unless the tent is a Hilton (with king size bed, hot tube and complimentary breakfast... LOL)

Yeah, Jim, it's cold in New England, but it's piercing, biting, wet and humid cold.

Originally posted by jflis
Where do you live that you're seeing that cold. My sister lives in Anchorage and is a dog-sled competitor. Her biggest complaint is that it hasn't been cold enough to properly run her dogs LOL (as I understand it, Anchorage is pretty temperate with the currents). She has to drive into Tok or Fairbanks to get good cold! LOL

My mom (also in Anchorage) loves to watch the weather then call me when it's colder down here... sheesh!

Plus, i'm getting older... used to be I would camp down to about 25F... ...not any more (well, that is unless the tent is a Hilton (with king size bed, hot tube and complimentary breakfast... LOL)

I lived for 4 years in the Great State of Superior (that's the upper peninsula of Michigan, if they ever get their way). Average annual temp. 32 degrees. Summer was just 3 months of bad snowmobiling. It got so cold for so long every year that the moisture froze out of the air. T-shirt, long johns, fatigues and gloves was plenty down to zero. See, it's a DRY cold.

Snowed here yesterday, school is out today.
Supposed to snow again tonight, school will be out Friday.
Supposed to get another storm this weekend, school will be out Monday.

Noticing a trend here?

Back