Cold

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jflis

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Man, I don't know about you folks down south, but it is COLD up here this past couple of weeks!

I just heard that today it *could* warm all the way *UP* to WAY BELOW FREEZING!!!

We also are having problems with fire hydrants freezing and the other day there was a car fire on a major turnpike up here. When the emergency crews got the fire out they realized they had a *new* problem...

All of the emergency vehicles were now frozen to the ground and couldn't be moved... Took hours with heater trucks to work them free...

I mean, heck, i'm a New Englander and I'm used to the cold, but I'm gonna have to seriously consider digging out my long sleeve shirts if this keeps up! :D

Originally posted by jflis
All of the emergency vehicles were now frozen to the ground and couldn't be moved... Took hours with heater trucks to work them free...

WOW.......I did a quick search on your zip code with wunderground.com ....... As of 9:50 am (EDT) is was 0 with a windchill of -20, but you got a forecasted high of 9????? It's been a while since I was in that kind of cold....... When I was in Korea it got down to -25 with windchill of around -40......... It was no fun working on aircraft, had to do most of the work in the hard shelters........ We would close the doors and fire up the engines for a few minutes to heat the place up........

Try to stay warm dude......

Jim, yes it's cold here in NY too!!! School got cancelled today due to how cold it was.

The worst I have ever been in was in Malone NY for a hockey tournament last year. -38 without a wind chill!!! You would walk outside and your nostrils would freeze in no time. The tires on all of the cars had flat spots frozen into them, so when everyone tried to drive to the arena they had to stop to make sure everything was allright with the tires. It was a very bumpy ride!

In the arena it was -15, the ice was good and hard, but the water bottles were frozen!:eek: It was not a very enjoyable time at all...

...but our high today is forcasted at 70 degrees here in South Georgia.

Keith

Originally posted by revkeith
...but our high today is forcasted at 70 degrees here in South Georgia.

Keith

you suck! :D
LOL
man, I would *kill* for *freezing* temps right about now... We've had hundreds of homes loose power and that winds up being a major loss in this kind of cold. We've also had numerous power poles just *snap* under the pressure of the wires coupled with the shattering cold.

Actually, our schools were closed today as well. Didn't want the kids out standing at the bus stops.

our famous Mount Washington (highest recorded wind speeds on the planet) had temps the other day of -45 with a wind chill of -100 (colder than antartica)

On the news they showed the folks based up there at the weather station (yep, it's perminantly manned up there). They all ran outside, pulled off their shirts and posed next to the thermometer showing -45F

man!

Jim,
I have a digital thermometer thats stores the high and low temp. from the last 24 hours.At some point last night I had a reading of -15.7 degrees here in Worcester,Ma.
<P>
Coldest time in my lifetime!

Ha! 0 with windchill of -20! Pathetic! Up HERE we had overnight lows of -12.7, and windchills about -40 below or less! The -12.7 came from my digital inside/outside thermometer, the wind chill came from weather.com. But if yer complainin about 0, thats natta! We are ALMOST to 5 F. right now! And its noon! You got it easy down there!

A few nights ago we almost got to -20 F.! I havent gone outside for a while.... Once I went out on that warm day where we got to freezing, and shot my BB gun a bit, but thats it!

Sorry, checked the forcast again looks like it will only hit 68 today. I think I may need to build a fire and get out the hot chocolate.

Just for the record, I lived in Keene, NH for three years so I do know a little about cold weather.

Keith

I did 2 winters in KCK.i quite that job,when it got to -5 with a ice storm ! I start iceing up at 55* Of course, it could have something to do with the fact,that i'm a boiler operator,120* is a nice day:)

Brrrrrr! We've spent the last two days trying to keep our water pipes thawed. (without success) And now, since last night the wind! At least the wood stove is near the computer.:D

gee whiz, you right coast guys sure belly ache a LOT.

here in Sunnyvale, California, it is a nice 60o or so ... overcast at perhaps 5000'... hey, maybe I will go fly some rockets at lunch time!!! neener neener neener!

if you're stuck indoors maybe you ought to build something? post pix anyways!

Shaddap you! "sunnyvale CA".... sounds like paradise.... You are lucky, and very mean! I cant believe it is WARM in some parts of the US. It just got up to a whoppin 10 degrees here.... Heat wave!

Originally posted by revkeith
Sorry, checked the forcast again looks like it will only hit 68 today. I think I may need to build a fire and get out the hot chocolate.

Just for the record, I lived in Keene, NH for three years so I do know a little about cold weather.

Keith

Hence... why you are now in Georgia ;)

Wow... it is warming up! 7 degrees F with a windchill of -13!

Yesterday I did carts at work! I hope they don't call me in to do that today!

Ugh. One of the downsides of working at a chain store.... THey have so many carts to take in/out! Poor you.... Ugh. Right now I am bakin some nice poppyseed muffins. The small ones are almost done. THey should take my mind off those wicked cold temps out there.... The big ones will take another 10-15 minutes, and the bread will be another 45 minutes, give or take. Those things are SOOOOO good right out of the oven! If you are on any sort of diet, you cannot eat them. Unspeakable amounts of shugar, oil etc.

It was -9 this morning when I got up. The low was -13F. I agree with Jim, might have to get out the winter clothes! This is nothing, I have been in Fairbanks AK quite a few times when it was -30F. THAT was cold.

Heres my muffins! The bread is still in the oven....

Ha....thats nothin. Been so cold in Kansas this year:

"I got a letter from my Mother, her tongue was still froze to the stamp". Pa-dumph.....

Hang in there guys. Course, its been almost balmy in Ks. this month. Maybe global warming has hit here and has pushed all the cold Northeast.

Man!! It is cold here in Albany as well. They closed all of the schools in the area as the tep was -8 at 8am this morning, and the windchill was -35 !!!

It is so cold in my basement, that yellow glue will not cure correctly. I have been gluing on fins upstairs today...

Been a nice 48 here with bright sunshine and no rain for a change.
Almost a heatwave.
I work in an ice rink, the plant room is over 90 and the arena is a cool -2, the heating broke down.:p

Vvvvvvermont is no picnic either. Ya know that is how Burrrrrrrlington got its name!

Nnnnnnick

We had a high of about 68-70 today. Brrr.....better go change out of my tank top and get my T-shirt back on. :D

Well, I feel for you guys. I lived in Anchorage, AK for 3 years. The coldest winter I experienced there dropped all the way down to -55. Try going outside and peeing off the balcony with that kinda cold. :D

Howbout spreading sand/ice melt over a very large driveway? Thats ALMOST as bad as "cart duty".

Everybody complains about the weather!

I just decided to play hooky with Catl Tulanko today!

We met at Public Missles in Mt. Clemons, Michigan to buy a WHOLE bunch of tubes! LOL! his mini-van looks like he works for a pipeine company! He has all the seats out and it's full all the way to the back tailgate (two layers) of 11.5" body tubes!

-2 degrees but we had fun looking at really BIG rockets at Public Missles, went to lunch, went to micheal's got some plywood, went to Rocket Depot (or is it Home Depot?) and watched each other spend money!

Cold??? we didn't notice...too busy havin' fun spending money!

And for our rocket buds in the UK...my sister tells me after a long wet rainy winter in London she begins to feel like she lives inside a Tuperware container!

sandman

Well you have money to spend! I just burned all mine up payin you for that big order of cones! I would have gone to our local hobby store, but I am BROKE! And my mom wont drive me anywhere because its too cold out. Oh well. It IS wicked cold out...

Were having a heat wave in New Jersey right now...20 degrees. It got down to -3 today and that's not counting the wind chill. I think it was in the -20's last night with the wind chill. I was going to launch rockets yesterday, and it wasn't the negative temperatures that bothered me it was the huge gusts of winds that are continuing right now. I hope it calms down for Monday, that's when I'm doing my first snow launch.

It's supposed to hit thirty tomorrow, I think I'll go see if any of my vehicles will start (I've got a couple of ancient ones). I work in a wastewater plant with outdoor piping and limited heat tracing and we've been all day, all week with the steam cleaner keeping the you-know-what flowing. It looks like the summit of Mt Washington. The up side is with the two lagoons frozen we have lots of room to fly rockets. I unleashed a CD spool today.
Just think, in 6 months I'll be whining about how hot it is! :cool:
Bob

Well I couldn't resist this thread. Currently it's a balmly 24 degreesAbove zero. It's suppose to cool down over the next couple days to single digit lows and teens for a high. We are having average temps right now here in Minnesota. Funny what that jet stream can do isn't it?;) It's not uncommon to have your weather that you're having right now for this time in Jan.
Below weather does suck! I won't argue that. I'm just surprised to hear about how many headaches a few degrees below zero is causing. How thick are exterior walls out there on the East Coast? 2x6's are the minimum here now. How much insulation do you use? One thing that is done here is to route plumbing in interior walls if possible and if the lady of the house will permit it, route the kitchen plumbing through the bottom of the kitchen sink cabinet, to the basement. There are several times that it isn't possible. I'm glad that my building trade doesn't have to worry about freezing pipes. It's mighty cold when electrons stop moving!:eek: Hang in there guys! Put on a couple more layers and remind yourself that we are gaining about 2 more minutes of sunlight each day!:cool:

Originally posted by Neil
Howbout spreading sand/ice melt over a very large driveway? Thats ALMOST as bad as "cart duty".

sheesh... ;)

I spread salt and ice-melt all OVER my driveway yesterday...

...it froze... :p

HEHE. IT can do that? Its above 0 right now (I think) so it should be OK.

Back