Cold lake Airshow

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred22

Reaction score
Well folks I got out to my one mandatory airshow of the season and it was at Cold lake Alberta:) Canadian Forces Base Cold lake is the home of 4 Wing and is fightertown Canada :) They put on a great show with some great aircraft and heres a small sample. I would love to hear about other shows people have hit :)
Cheers
fred

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0212.jpg

IMG_0246.jpg

And some more :) Love taking photos at these things :)

IMG_0261.jpg

IMG_0283.jpg

IMG_0325.jpg

IMG_0363.jpg

The last few for now. I mass processed these with photoshop and i think i will have to work on the quailty aspect a little :) 22KB indeed :) Anyway I will try a few more later :)

IMG_9016.jpg

IMG_9445.jpg

lanc bomb bay open.jpg

mod lanc.jpg

The last few for now. I mass processed these with photoshop and i think i will have to work on the quailty aspect a little :) 22KB indeed :) Anyway I will try a few more later :)

Nice work Fred!
I haven't been to an air show for a while. I've been to CFB Cold Lake several times and at least once during Maple Flag. Try to get in to service their photo equipment during that time. :bangbang: Our printer was in the hangar. Anyway, great shots. I hope to get to the Abbotsford air show this year to take a few photos and get up close to a few.

Take care,
Len B

Great photos there Fred! I love the Lancaster one!!! I never knew, until recently, that it was a single pilot bomber.

The last two airshows I went to near the end turned into a panic as thunderstorms and rain moved in. One even had a tornado warning!

Nothing like being in an open field with that going on.

It was an absolute panic watching the crews try to get a bunch of restored arircraft into hangers.:shock:

And a C-5 Galaxy will hold a whole bunch of people hiding out of the rain!;)

Nice work Fred!
I haven't been to an air show for a while. I've been to CFB Cold Lake several times and at least once during Maple Flag. Try to get in to service their photo equipment during that time. :bangbang: Our printer was in the hangar. Anyway, great shots. I hope to get to the Abbotsford air show this year to take a few photos and get up close to a few.

Take care,
Len B

Len you truly have done some interesting stuff :) Hope you get to abbotsford pal :)
Cheers
fred

Great photos there Fred! I love the Lancaster one!!! I never knew, until recently, that it was a single pilot bomber.

Ya it had a flight engineer not a copilot :) The lanc to me is a big link to our history and that of others as well :)
Cheers
Fred

The last two airshows I went to near the end turned into a panic as thunderstorms and rain moved in. One even had a tornado warning!

Nothing like being in an open field with that going on.

It was an absolute panic watching the crews try to get a bunch of restored arircraft into hangers.:shock:

And a C-5 Galaxy will hold a whole bunch of people hiding out of the rain!;)

I belive my wife said she hid in one from a hailstorm at an airshow so I hear ya Gordon :)
Cheers
fered

Just as a quick sidebar here, my family and I were returning from vacation down in Okinawa waiting for the next "hop" military transport to take us back to Tokyo. We got called and go onboard a C-17 that was completely empty. It was a milk-run; just to get the aircraft back to Tokyo.

So our family ended up being the only thing on the C-17; no cargo, no extra pax, nothing. We played freeze tag throughout the entire C-17 flying at 33,000'. The kids have never forgotten that one.

Just as a quick sidebar here, my family and I were returning from vacation down in Okinawa waiting for the next "hop" military transport to take us back to Tokyo. We got called and go onboard a C-17 that was completely empty. It was a milk-run; just to get the aircraft back to Tokyo.

So our family ended up being the only thing on the C-17; no cargo, no extra pax, nothing. We played freeze tag throughout the entire C-17 flying at 33,000'. The kids have never forgotten that one.

Thats cool :) Too bad you dint have a soccer ball :p
Cheers
fred

Or a frisbee...

Nice pics, Fred! Love the Lancaster, I presume that's the "other" flying Lancaster, not the one in the RAF Battle Of Britain Memorial Flight which we have over here?

Phil

Or a frisbee...

Nice pics, Fred! Love the Lancaster, I presume that's the "other" flying Lancaster, not the one in the RAF Battle Of Britain Memorial Flight which we have over here?

Phil
Thanks Phil and you are correct. The aircraft was restored to flight and is used to commemorate Andy Mynarski who won a VC in one. Your memorial flight would be awesome to see. Does it have a flying Hurricane?
Cheers
fred

Yup, the display they do at most airshows usually has a Lancaster, Hurricane and Spitfire in formation, though I think they own a DC3 and some other WW2 aircraft. It's definitely an awesome sight, no matter how many times you see it.

Phil

Really cool pix Fred.
Is that the Lanc from Hamilton ON?
What a beautiful plane, then and now.
My uncle crewed one of those during the war.

Really cool pix Fred.
Is that the Lanc from Hamilton ON?
What a beautiful plane, then and now.
My uncle crewed one of those during the war.
Sorry bud Im not completely sure but if the one in Hamilton flies then yup and as far as i know there are only two in the world airworthy :)
Cheers
fred

Thanks that was an interesting article :) Sure is a beauty :)
Cheers
fred

Back