Cold Heat, anyone?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cajunman06

Reaction score
While we're on the subject of electronics (at least in one thread), has anyone here tried out those new cordless "cold heat" soldering irons? I saw a guy in RS demo one and it was pretty impressive. I'm just wondering how long a set of batteries can last.

Any experiences?

How do those things work? I have not seen a commercial and have only heard a few people ask questions, so I am curious about what this thing is.

Do they have a (relatively) big heat sink to absorb the residual heat from the tip? If so, how do they get the tip hot to begin with? Or does it even get hot (do they use some other magic like a microwave oven cooks food without heat?)

Anybody?

Here is the website:

www.coldheattools.com

One thing that I find odd is that they say 'from 0 degrees to 800 degrees in seconds'. I highly doubt this thing is going below freezing.

Edward

I sent their customer service and tech support an email asking about that... :D

I even commented that my *plug-in* soldering iron won't go below room temperature, and asked how they get theirs to go to below freezing...

The single most frequently asked question (after "How can I get one?") is "How does the technology work?"

Well, for the most part the answer is ‘magic', and like any good magician we need to keep some of the secrets behind the curtain. But there are some basics we can tell you about.

The performance of Cold Heat technology is the result of numerous innovation...

also, like in magic, the odds are its fake.

anyone actually have one? or we could start up a collection for the 20 bucks for one to see if it works...

Originally posted by edwardw

One thing that I find odd is that they say 'from 0 degrees to 800 degrees in seconds'.

Edward [/B]

Cool! So you can solder and cool your drink with the same tool;)

I was able to play with it on one of my installation jobs

the tip is some special material and it has a split in the middle
it is also very fragile.it almost looks like a stone. when the two parts of the tip touch the component/wire it heats up very fast , bad thing is there is an initial spark and that could be harmfull to certain components. good thing is, it works like they say it does and solder will not stick to it ,so it stays clean. It only cools down to room temperature, but it does so in a matter of seconds.neat tool! It also has a very bright light that shines on the tip when you make contact.

they are supposed to be coming out with a rechargeable version

They show on the commercial a dude putting it into his pocket, what if you have keys in there?

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

from the US Patent Office

Patent Number 6,646,228 issued to Axinte; Dragos (Issaquah, WA); Axinte; Grigore (Kent, WA) on November 11, 2003 and assigned to Hyperion Innovations, Inc. (Seattle, WA)

Abstract
The present invention provides a soldering iron with a graphite tip having two separate halves that are electrically isolated from one another. When both halves of the tip are applied to an electrically conductive material, such as the material to be soldered, an electrical circuit between the tip halves and an electrical power source is completed. Therefore, the tip can reach operating temperatures quickly. When the tip is removed from the joint, the electrical circuit is broken and the tip material may quickly cool to a temperature safe for human contact. The tip material permits higher power outputs than other battery operated portable soldering irons and permits over 300 joints for each full charge.

Bob Krech

Originally posted by edwardw

One thing that I find odd is that they say 'from 0 degrees to 800 degrees in seconds'. I highly doubt this thing is going below freezing.

Doesn't that depend on the ambient temperature?

If you have cold heat, can I interest you in some:

Jumbo shrimp, or

Military intelligence

:D

I recently saw the commercial for this. If it works, and you don't have to have stock in a battery company to use it, might be a handy little tool.
Anyone know if it's available in any stores?

I got mine from the Depot. It does work realy well, as was stated earlier it sometimes sparks a little when you first make contact with the metal. It does cool down quickly, a few seconds, depending on how long you are soldering. I have soldered over 8 dozen AG-1 bulbs and still on my first set of batteries. It is definately something to keep in your box in case Murphy strikes.

I made a set of 4-way clip-whips with mine. Worked great. No preparing my work space, etc. It's very convenient compared to a standard soldering iron. I live with 2 little dogs and three cats, so you have to be very careful with cords attached to hot things.

urbanek

I don't know if it works.

I got one for Christmas and it didn't work out of the box.

I tried testing the batteries, making the conductive contact with the tip, but I couldn't even get a light to come on after much testing.

went to exchange it and of course they are out of them because of the holidays

so I may know in a few weeks how well it does work.

this one was from the depot.

a coworker had told me that you had to use a specail solder with it but I saw no mention of that in the included instructions.

Originally posted by rock2p
I don't know if it works.

I got one for Christmas and it didn't work out of the box.

I tried testing the batteries, making the conductive contact with the tip, but I couldn't even get a light to come on after much testing.

went to exchange it and of course they are out of them because of the holidays

so I may know in a few weeks how well it does work.

this one was from the depot.

a coworker had told me that you had to use a specail solder with it but I saw no mention of that in the included instructions.

Go to the following link at the US Patent Office for the complete description of how it works. You don't need special solder.

https://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph...,646,228.WKU.&OS=PN/6,646,228&RS=PN/6,646,228

Bob Krech

Back