coffee house blues...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
a bit hasty on the "Enter" key.

My PC is infected with the coolwebsearch" virus as I understand it. Spybot and Adaware don't seem to fix the problem. Anybody have suggestions for a cure?

Thanks

What does *that* one do?

Have you tried contacting Microsoft or checking out their web page for any patches?

Have you tried McAfee or Norton Anti-Virus?

Are you keeping the Adaware and Spybot databases up to date?

Like many, the virus keeps redirecting my default home page to some search page. Also adds periodic and frequent pop up advertisements in addition to listing a bunch of sites on my "favorites" list.

Dunno how it got past my anti-virus?

Adaware from lavasoft will clean most everything, but for some you actually have to go into the registry and get rid of one entry. load and run the software and see if it cleans everything. if not, go to the lavasoft support forums and carefully follow the directions for finding and removing the evil registry entries.

I've done it.t worked fine.

And ALWAYS keep your anti-virus software running. (My wife turned it off - D'oh!)

Originally posted by Stewart32
I'm in got cooLwebsearch hail!

Help.

Thanks

CoolWebSearch is a prickly infection that relies on the ByteVerify exploit.

Go here for a removal tool called CWS Shredder. It's the same one that Rbeckey noted, however this is a link to Merjin's site with additional instructions when things don't work quite right.

And now from the IT Support Manager's Soapbox

1) Make sure you have every freaking last critical patch from Windows Update applied. Anything less is dumb!

2) Do not allow anything to be installed from a website unless you know exactly what it does.

[/end soapbox rant]

A

A very easy way to prevent software being installed on your computer without your consent (thoes stupid ActiveX controls wreak havoc in Internet Explorer) is to run Mozilla Firefox 0.9. This is a replacement for Internet Explorer. With Internet Explorer, you can simply visit a website or accidently click 'ok' on a dialogue and you will install these 'FREE WEB SEARCH!!!' type search bars. In short, Firefox does not allow this to happen. Firefox has the additional coolness of extentions, where you can add more features to firefox. For example, it comes with a popup blocker (very good) and you can download 'AdBlock' where, if configured properly, will block all banner ads/advertisements. I love it. Download it. Now. It can import bookmarks/other stuff from Internet Explorer. No reason not to. Oh yeah, its free too.

Also run Adaware as well as Spybot (make sure they are updated).

Originally posted by Stewart32
Rbecky...

tried the shredder... no luck

boot in SAFE MODE then run the shredder or Ad-aware or Spybot... like others said.. .UPDATE the programs before the scan.

some of the new programs have stealth type capabilities that hide themselves from the removal programs.

also, have you checked Add/Remove programs and uninstalled ANYTHING that has Search or browser helper in the name?

again... do this from safe mode..

if that doesnt help.... you will have to hack the registry yourself to kill it... OR call an IT guy to come and clean it..

I support over 2500 pc's for a school district... and before this spyware crappola started... my worst enemy was that irritating Purple Gorilla... bonzi buddy anyone??

since the 1st of this year... probably 90% of my service calls are spyware/trojan horse related...

later
Jerryb

Hey Stewart-

I feel your pain. I was struck by some very nasty highjackware a month or so ago (the kids kept playing with kazaa...:mad: ) and even after all the helpful suggestions listed here, I had to take the ultimate step of re-installing XP.... What a pain! Took all of one of my days off to get it in and get my IP software running again.

Spysweeper is by far the best spyware killer that I've found, but even it could kill off the bug that got into my system. Also, a while back, someone here suggested Avast anti-virus from https://www.avast.com and it is great! Free updates and a vicious killer!

Good luck!

I'll agree with using Mozilla. I run Mozilla 1.6 and popups are a thing of the past.

It's Free.

It works.

It has maby downloadable skins so you can make it look like IE or Netscape or anything else. There are even some star trek skins that look pretty cool.

I also got ris of Outlook and Outlook express. Mozilla has mail too. It's a lot like Netscape.

Just what I did.

this sucks

CWS shredder say all clear

Adaware says I've got coolwebsearch

pop ups continues...

alternate home page continues...

Will this take a register edit to fix?

thanks

If you know roughly when the CWS appeared, try the system restore tool and go back to a point before the critter got to you. I did this once and it worked well, but I knew when I caught the bug within a couple of hours on a certain day.
It appears that you have a newer variant of the CWS that the shredder isn't equipped for. Make certain that you have updated the shredder to the latest version. Check back for new updates every few days. If it is a new strain, chances are they'll include it in a upcoming update.

yep system restore works fine for this.there is also a program i downloaded called "HIJACKTHIS".It lets you delete hijacked start pages but you have to be carefull not to delete something important.

Yep, HIJACKTHIS is *very* handy for this sort of thing; but to reiterate Arthur Dent's warning: This program can seriously b****r up your system, if you're not careful!

As you know what you are looking for, it might be woth trying HIJACKTHIS. Download it, run it, and delete the entries containg the referances to coolwebsearch - DO NOT DELETE ANY OTHERS! One swift re-boot later, you stand a good chance of being free of coolwebsearch.

If you are not sure about what entries to delete, post here and we'll do our best to help!

Back