Cocaine found on floor of Space Shuttle Building!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonathanDunbar

Reaction score
Is this bad for NASA as a whole, or just Shuttle personnel?

I have about 20-30 single sided razor blades in my flight box ... Five-O (police) would have a field day with me should I ever be pulled over and the flight box searched :cheers:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/2809281/Nasa-astro-snorts-in-cocaine-probe.html

A BAG of cocaine has been found in a Space Shuttle hangar - sparking a Nasa investigation.

US space chiefs fear an employee was seeking a different kind of out-of-this-world experience in the restricted area at Kennedy Space Centre, Florida.

About 200 staff and contractors have access to the hangar, which houses the shuttle Discovery.

Six astronauts including Briton Nick Patrick are due to blast off in March. But space chiefs insisted the mission goes ahead as planned.

The US space agency started testing and interviewing all staff on Wednesday.

Drug sniffer dogs were also brought in to find the culprit. Three years ago, Nasa was forced to deny allegations of boozy parties after an official report claimed two astronauts had flown into space while drunk. The discovery of drugs in a hangar before a mission raises safety concerns and will embarrass new Nasa chief Charlie Bolden.

Nasa spokesman Allard Beutel said: "There are no obvious indications of anyone acting oddly or under the influence. People know how serious this is - it's not acceptable."

Read more: https://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepa...ro-snorts-in-cocaine-probe.html#ixzz0cngdl8uQ

Last edited:
I assume when you ask if it makes NASA look cool you are being sarcastic as I would ban you if I thought you advocating drug use. I also assume five-oh is a term of affectionate humour directed at the men and women who risk their lives daily to keep us all safe.
Mr Dunbar this is I assume another discussion intiated by you so you can demonstrate your verbal acumen at controversial topics. I would strongly advise you to read the guidelines as I will be watching this thread very carefully. This could be an interesting thread but it will not turn into another mudslinging fest which it seems some of your threads do. Once again I strongly advise you to start participating in some of the other forums on this board.

When I saw this on the news I was very disappointed. Anything that lowers people's estimation of NASA and the space program (there have been a few incidents lately) is bad news to me. :(

I guess if we have to look for a silver lining is that it got NASA on the news. I've heard it said that bad press is better than no press, but I don't know if I buy it...

I.agree with your observations. I.would point out that the armed services have to deal with problem from time to and do very well. I also hope the problem is not widespread and they arrest those responsible.
Cheers
Fred

I assume when you ask if it makes NASA look cool you are being sarcastic as I would ban you if I thought you advocating drug use. I also assume five-oh is a term of affectionate humour directed at the men and women who risk their lives daily to keep us all safe.
Mr Dunbar this is I assume another discussion intiated by you so you can demonstrate your verbal acumen at controversial topics. I would strongly advise you to read the guidelines as I will be watching this thread very carefully. This could be an interesting thread but it will not turn into another mudslinging fest which it seems some of your threads do. Once again I strongly advise you to start participating in some of the other forums on this board.

Fred,

It was TOTAL sarcasm. I will go back and edit the post.

Drugs, destroy marriages, and careers.

J

P.s. Fred, I am becoming board again with the internet, so expect my postings to drop to almost nil for the remainder of the year. I have learned that technology might change, but people don't ... and that isn't sarcasm.

Last edited:
I agree with the detructiveness of drugs. I would also once again strongly urge you to enjoy other parts of the board rather then disappear. I like scale and low power a lot because as everyone knows AP gives you facial warts lol:) Seriously the depth of.skill and knowldge on this board has always amazed me:)
Cheers
Fred

Wanna bet there were a lot of "random" whiz-quizzes being handed out at NASA this week? :D

Wanna bet there were a lot of "random" whiz-quizzes being handed out at NASA this week? :D

Only if they start at the top and work their way down. That usually puts an end to the random drug testing thing before it even happens.

Only if they start at the top and work their way down. That usually puts an end to the random drug testing thing before it even happens.

New T-shirts for sale at the KSC gift shops?

[removed due to inappropriate nature]

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes this is a big deal, and it looks bad not just for shuttle workers, but NASA as a whole. NASA has a random drug test policy for anyone at KSC who interacts with flight hardware, and I imagine that the pull rate has increased since the discovery.

Maybe someone who thought they could work harder, longer etc. It's not a good way to do that, just get some sleep.

Well, it's like anything else...you can't get 100% compliance. No matter how selective your filtering process...you will always get 'leakers' who should know better, but don't.

FC

They can't even manage to keep drugs out of maximum security PRISONS, so people are downright deluded if they think they can ever keep them out of less secure facilities and workplaces, much less the country as a whole.

Now that's funny.

I don't drink or partake in anything recreational other than Cigs. Outside of it being illegal, what's a little blow or weed between friends. There is much, much worse out there. Live and let live I say. We're not talking an accounting desk job here. So, when you bring it into the work place where other peoples lives could very well be in your hands....Well, you deserve every negative repercussion comin' to you.

Last edited:
Drugs are a problem everywhere. I absolutely hate them as they have ruined so many lives. This is also not a new problem. Heres a link to a online book about drug problems in the US military
https://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=940&page=499
In it makes referance to 1400 individuals being decertified from duty on nuclear weapons due to drug use in one year. It is a little dated but probably still relevant. We have the same problem up here minus the nuclear weapons with our military. The strain of ten years of nonstop deployment to combat zones also exacerbates this problem for both militaries.
I hope they catch the person who had the stash and lock them up so long their high school desk is in the smithsonian. I beleive NASA does a good job with this stuff on the whole or you can bet it would be bought up a lot more.
Cheers
fred

This is obviously another not necessary bad PR for NASA, as they will always be held to a higher standard by the public. The "Media" always looks for the negative, as thats what sells. All large companies have personnel issues that could be damaging, however they all also have mainly exceptional staff, or they wouldn't be around, yet alone be successful enough for the bad PR to be even noteworthy. I still believe NASA to be the premiere center for the organization of Space Exploration Technologies in America.(And I hope they always will be) This one negatively biased "News story" doesn't change the high regards I have for the dedicated employees of NASA !!

An alternative propulsion?
It's probably cheaper than PBAN or APCP...

I hear Coke will be sponsoring the new shuttle in 2013;)

It's found on 80% of US paper currency...

JD

It is somewhat ironic that a small amount of coke at NASA is a big deal, when the air force has made extensive use of "go pills" (amphetamines aka speed) and "no-go pills" (benzodiazepines aka benzos aka vallium) for as long as they have been available and dextroamphetamine is actually included in the Shuttle medical kit.

It is also worth noting that dextroamphetamine along with several other amphetamine salts are the ingredients in Adderall, one of the most prescribed drugs for children. One of the other most prescribed drugs, Ritalin, has almost exactly the same action in the brain as cocaine.

Great point. It's only going to news worthy for another week at best. After that it'll soon be forgotten. NASA is no more exempt than any other agency or corporation. This probably wouldn't have been a blip on the radar screen if NASA hadn't been getting so much positive press with the end of the shuttle program.

It is somewhat ironic that a small amount of coke at NASA is a big deal, when the air force has made extensive use of "go pills" (amphetamines aka speed) and "no-go pills" (benzodiazepines aka benzos aka vallium) for as long as they have been available and dextroamphetamine is actually included in the Shuttle medical kit.

It is also worth noting that dextroamphetamine along with several other amphetamine salts are the ingredients in Adderall, one of the most prescribed drugs for children. One of the other most prescribed drugs, Ritalin, has almost exactly the same action in the brain as cocaine.

But the difference is that they are supposed to be controlled in dose amount, frequency, etc, under the close supervision of a doctor. I know for a fact that our stuff was proscribed pretty tightly, especially for 'reach out and touch someone' missions.

With Mr. 'Baggie'...you don't know what the heck he's doing before, after, or during a 'dose'...

FC

Was it found where they take tour groups through? I know there's different levels of tours you can go on according to security and VIP statis. I'm saying that unless it was in a controlled access area literally anyone could have dropped it, wouldn't have to be a NASA employee or a contractor.

But the difference is that they are supposed to be controlled in dose amount, frequency, etc, under the close supervision of a doctor. I know for a fact that our stuff was proscribed pretty tightly, especially for 'reach out and touch someone' missions.

With Mr. 'Baggie'...you don't know what the heck he's doing before, after, or during a 'dose'...

Certainly no arguments here. The problem is that essentially the same drugs are prescribed far too commonly *without* the close supervision of a doctor. A much greater problem is that depressants (such as Oxycontin) are prescribed with equal abandon and lack of supervision. Even worse is that most people think that because pills come from a doctor they are safe. Those are the people I worry about, and there are a lot of them out there.

It was posted by the NewsNot...

Certainly no arguments here. The problem is that essentially the same drugs are prescribed far too commonly *without* the close supervision of a doctor. A much greater problem is that depressants (such as Oxycontin) are prescribed with equal abandon and lack of supervision. Even worse is that most people think that because pills come from a doctor they are safe. Those are the people I worry about, and there are a lot of them out there.

Is this bad for NASA as a whole, or just Shuttle personnel?

I have about 20-30 single sided razor blades in my flight box ... Five-O (police) would have a field day with me should I ever be pulled over and the flight box searched :cheers:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/2809281/Nasa-astro-snorts-in-cocaine-probe.html

A BAG of cocaine has been found in a Space Shuttle hangar - sparking a Nasa investigation.

US space chiefs fear an employee was seeking a different kind of out-of-this-world experience in the restricted area at Kennedy Space Centre, Florida.

About 200 staff and contractors have access to the hangar, which houses the shuttle Discovery.

Six astronauts including Briton Nick Patrick are due to blast off in March. But space chiefs insisted the mission goes ahead as planned.

The US space agency started testing and interviewing all staff on Wednesday.

Drug sniffer dogs were also brought in to find the culprit. Three years ago, Nasa was forced to deny allegations of boozy parties after an official report claimed two astronauts had flown into space while drunk. The discovery of drugs in a hangar before a mission raises safety concerns and will embarrass new Nasa chief Charlie Bolden.

Nasa spokesman Allard Beutel said: "There are no obvious indications of anyone acting oddly or under the influence. People know how serious this is - it's not acceptable."

Read more: https://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepa...ro-snorts-in-cocaine-probe.html#ixzz0cngdl8uQ

what do the razor blades have to do with anything??

Back