Coal Motors?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NOFLYZONE

Reaction score
Living in the middle of a coal field has got me to wondering if any motor companys or EX fliers have tried coal in any motor formulation. I'm thinking it would make nice thick black smoke.

Originally posted by NOFLYZONE
Living in the middle of a coal field has got me to wondering if any motor companys or EX fliers have tried coal in any motor formulation. I'm thinking it would make nice thick black smoke.

Carbon is a component of black powder, but coal isn't nearly as pure as what's used. Plus, it's hard to mill to a small and consistent enough powder; it tends to flake.

No need to mill the stuff, I get the finest coal powder you've ever seen off heat pump coils every day:D

Carbon Black (pure carbon) is used as an opacifier in basic formulae.

Originally posted by NOFLYZONE

Greetings and welcome to TRF.

This post merely serves as a reminder that the discussion of EX motors - specifically referring to chemical formulas and additives - is strictly prohibited. Granted, the subject at hand is merely benign and probably not worth pulling or editing, but before the discussion continues I thought it appropriate to toss in a reminder. Of course, I am only one moderator and this thread is still subject to editing, but I thought I would chime in with a few thoughts.

Gotta keep people safe! (Ok, where did I put my protective bubble?)

Thanks and happy rocketeering.

Just another clarification... you can talk about what's in it, just don't talk about how much or what ratios of any substance in a formula. Preferably, if you're gonna discsuss the ingredients in any formula, it would be best to not disclose all of the ingredients. That way, someone unfamiliar with EX formulations won't be tempted to start mixing unknown quantities of the materials in an unsafe manner.

PS. Any member wanting to know how to begin mixing their own propellants should find a mentor either locally or online and contact that person to see if they would help coach them. This is the safe way to go about this. Two heads are always better than one.

There is no real reason that powdered coal could not be used, mixed with an appropriate binder, etc. There was a coal-based rocket engine used during WWII by the Germans, but I can not remember if it was an operational or just an experimental.

Figuring out the appropriate oxidizer/fuel ratio (if a solid) or flow rates (if hybrid) would be interesting. Sounds like something to ask the EX folks about though. Someone over there has most likely either messed with or thought about messing with it.

The exhaust would be pretty smoky though.

Harm none,

ResearchWorm

Coal is not the most efficient form of carbon for motors, per Sleeter's book (see review on EMRR). This would be a better discussion for the BP rockets discussion list.

Latest posts

Back