CMASS Winter Follies: Jan 9th, Acton

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcsalem

Reaction score
Once again, the hardcore Eastern Mass and NH rocketeers will be flying at the CMASS Winter Follies! We'll be flying LPR and MPR at the Acton, MA field on Jan 9th. Snowshoes optional!

Who's in?

I'll be bringing some fun fliers (once I get my repair work done!)

Jim S

:snowflake:

Once again, the hardcore Eastern Mass and NH rocketeers will be flying at the CMASS Winter Follies! We'll be flying LPR and MPR at the Acton, MA field on Jan 9th. Snowshoes optional!

Who's in?

I'll be bringing some fun fliers (once I get my repair work done!)

Jim S

:snowflake:

I just shoveled the remaining snow from in front of the trailer and I'll be moving it somewhere where it won't get buried if it snows between now and then.

The weather's been pretty good for the past 3 years: almost tee shirts 3 years ago, 50's 2 years ago and around freezing last year. :cool:

I hope our string of good weather continues, and it's a good thing I don't believe in the 10-15 day forecast that calls for gale force winds, snow and temperatures in the low to mid 20's with windchills near zero. :eek:

Bob

I will be there on the 9th. I will be there with four of the LOC Mini Missile kits.

Right now, I plan on being there if I can kick this blasted cold I have.

It was cold (20-25 deg.) and breezy (10+ mph with some gusts) with clear blue skies.
Not a big crowd, just the die hards.
I only had one flight, my Semroc Iris.
All and all a fun day.
Here are a few pics, I didn't take very many.

1. My Iris on a B6-4.
2. The flight line, this was early there were more people later.
3. A mystery man at LCO.

Flight line sm.jpg

Ken sm.jpg

Beautiful day to fly rockets. Sunny, 50 degree weather, no wind. Oh wait, that was the last time I went to Winter Follies. lol. Like Tony said, it was cold and windy :p. When I went to the launch, I threw my range box and rocket crate in the back of the car, not knowing what motors I had left and what rockets I was going to fly. I ended up flying three rockets. First was my Quest Nike K with a B6-4. Then my Sunward Phoenix with a B6-2. Finally my Quest Brighthawk with a C6-5, which landed in a tree.

Cold_Doug.jpg

Having_Fun.jpg

Jims_Booth.jpg

B6-2_Phoenix.jpg

Phoenix_Landed.jpg

All in all a fun day.

Bit on the chilly side, but still :) I heard that Florida got a cold snap... ...someone commented how they saw snow hitting the windshield and melting... If any snow were to have fallen today, at the field, it would have made a distinctive *tink* sound when it hit the windshield... LOL

Hard to get pictures with the sun in our face and the bright snow all around, but I got a couple worth posting.

• Bill gets a good flight with his Frick-n-frack (right after a few of us had commented "it's a nice day but I wouldn't fly a Frick-n-Frack in this wind"... LOL
  • A picture perfect flight of an Avalear
  • beautiful flight of a beautiful HERC-5 too
  • the flight line a little later in the day. About 20 or so cars. Not bad at all :)

DSC05900.jpg

DSC05908.jpg

DSC05909.jpg

DSC05901.jpg

What time were you guys there until? I tried to roll up there around 1 after some errands but everyone had taken off...learned my lesson though!

Next time, rockets first, errands second.

What time were you guys there until? I tried to roll up there around 1 after some errands but everyone had taken off...learned my lesson though!

Next time, rockets first, errands second.

I'm pretty sure we were there at 1:00. My watch was buried under several layers of clothing but I think somebody told me it was 1:00 when we left for the restaurant.

Looks like you guys had fun despite the cold.

I didn't make it.. I've been sick since Christmas and I'm almost over it and figured I didn't need to have a relapse.

Well, I'll see you all at NARCON!

Looks like you guys had fun despite the cold.

I didn't make it.. I've been sick since Christmas and I'm almost over it and figured I didn't need to have a relapse.

Well, I'll see you all at NARCON!

Same here though I'm almost completely better now. Seemed too windy and cold to me though I used to fly in the winter all the time when I was a kid on the farm in upstate NY. I must not be as tough these days.

Back