CMASS Nov 7th Launch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n3tjm

Papa Elf
Reaction score
Hoping for good weather this Saturday cause I want to launch my repaired Renegade, souped up Outlander, and my Ladyrobin :p

Who else is coming and what are you planning to fly :)

i may make it...not sure yet. probably going to stay grounded due to funds, but will enjoy watching ;)

With sunset coming before 4:30PM, and no moon until after 9:00 PM, we are planning to break the field down at 3:30 PM and give every one the opportunity to put most of their stuff in their cars, and then have a model rocket night launch from about 5-6 PM.

Rules similar to the NARAM nightes launch will be followed.

All rockets must have an illumination device that will provide a sufficient source of light to be visible for the entire flight, including its pre-liftoff condition while on the pad.

All rockets for the night launch must pass through check in procedures with the NAR safety code strictly enforced. The on duty RSO will have the final word to allow or disallow any flight.

Rockets will weigh a maximum of 1 lb. (453 grams) including motor(s) at liftoff and have less than 113 grams of propellant. (This may be increased to 1500 grams (3.3 pounds, 51 oz.) to comply to the new model rocket definition.)

Only flights with expected altitudes of 800 feet or less will be permitted; documentation can be provided to verify your expected altitude however it will be not required.

Only single stage flights up to a maximum total impulse of 160 Ns (G class) will be permitted, as will cluster flights of up to 3 motors; provided they are all intended to be started at the same time while on the launch pad.

Flights powered with a total impulse of more than 20 Ns (E class) though 160 Ns (G class) must carry two independent light sources. At least one of the light sources must be electronic; the second light source may be chemical light or electronic. The second light source may also be enclosed within the airframe and deployed at apogee. However, the rocket must be clearly seen with at least one light throughout its entire trajectory.

Models may not separate into 2 or more pieces even in the case that the each piece may contain its own light source. Motors can not be ejected.

All flights must conform to the model rocket safety code and have a recovery device capable of making a safe recovery (tumble recovery is permitted).

All flyers and spectators on the field will have a glow stick or flashlight on their person. Red filters on lights are desirable.

The pads and paths will have glow sticks to show position.

Ok, the day time launch was a hoot! Don't know about the night launch, but I'm sure we'll hear from someone!

It was cool (low-mid 40's), clear and mild breeze. Many gliders, saucers and even Decaffeinators. Saw several 2 and 3 stages beast and several Level 1 Certs that landed right near the clubs trailer!

So, yeah, it was a *good* fly day. I got about 8-10 launches in including some proto type tests as I tested different motors to verify flights.

My best photo was a series I took of Claude's Decaffeinator (see attached).

Some other photo's too. I hope to have my album up tomorrow some time.

This is the 2nd to last launch for the club but *my* last club launch this year as I will be out of state for the next launch.

Our first launch of 2010 will be our Winter Follies in January. Should be fun :)

decaf01.jpg

decaf03.jpg

decaf04.jpg

decaf06.jpg

DSC05108.JPG

loved that two stage decaffeinator. also the rocket that basically weathercocked horizontal and flew out to the street like a missile! hah.

was great to get out and see some rockets, unfortunately, we had to hit the road after around 45 minutes to 1 hour. the cold was starting to get to the baby, and one of the F motors launched off the lpr/mpr pads jolted him (it was a nice flight though, i thoroughly appreciated it ;)) so we decided to hit the road.

couple rough glider landings! ouch! great day to fly though.

Well, I got my photo album up. You can get to it by Clicking this Link.

While I have 2 more launches with my Boys & Girls club kids as well as 1, possibly 2 with local Scouts, this is my last CMASS launch of the year. We (the club) has one more launch on the 21st but I will miss that as I will be building and launching with Scouts in California that weekend.

The next CMASS launch I will be able to attend would be the Winter Follies in January as we get hip deep in getting ready for NARCON in March.

Going to be a busy time of year :)

Enjoy the photo album and see you folks (CMASS) in January!

jim

Beautiful day to launch rockets. When I loaded the car in the morning, the temp was close to freezing. it warmed up to about 54 degrees =) There was hardly any wind too.

Quest X-15 - with an Estes C6-5. Previously launch I had added nose weight to solve the stability issue this kit likes to have. A C6-5 provided a nice straight flight, gained a respectable altitude within my eyesight, and I loved how the motor produced a nice trail of tracking smoke :)

Renegade - Second flight of this modified two stager. Last time the sustainer did not stage, so the lawn dart jammed the nosecone into the tube. I replaced the top of the tube, did some adjustments to the booster. Because the weather is so good, I decided to fully load the Renegade. D12-0 and two A10-3T's in the booster, and a C6-7 in the top. Great ignition and boost. Staging occurred and I was able to keep the rocket within my sights the entire flight. I was almost able to catch the sustainer. I will post a video shortly.

Outlander - I modified this rocket to use 24mm motors. I seen to many of them hit the deck on the recommended motors. I decided to use an Aerotech D15-4T for its first flight. It deployed the chute 4 seconds after it hit the deck. https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=7153

Marauder - This is the first launch of my 250% upscale of my first model rocket ever, and Estes Marauder. I chose to use a G64-7W for its first flight. Perfect straight boost and the parachute deployed just after apogee. I loved how this rocket flew.

Ladyrobin 2.0 - Second flight of this rocket, flew it on an AMW/CTI I540-9 white motor. Great boost to about 2000 feet. Dual deployment was perfect and landed about 500 feet from the launchpad.

Avalear - My last daylight launch was this Fliskits rocket with a C6-5. Nice flight but I lost sight where it landed. Someone walking their dog found it. It had a cracked wing and one of the fins lost about 2/3's of its tip.

Night launch

This is the first night launch I participated with the club. It was cold, but fun. I taped two glowsticks to my EZ2C and attempted to launch it with two B6-4's. Only one of the motors ignited and the rocket hit the road. Fincan was damaged and fell off.

I also launched my Semroc Mars Lander with my last D13-4W. Took some creative thinking to figure out how to attach a glowstick to the rocket without ruining it or making it unstable. I took the transition from my Flis Praetor and hollowed out the top so a glow stick would fit in it. Then I tapped it in place. Perfect. I put it on the pad, and it shot into the sky. I think it was louder than the G35 UFO that launched before it. Bob wanted to know what the heck that was, and bill said it was only a D :p. It was very visible after burnout, during the recovery phase, and after it landed on the ground. Perfect flight :)

Two observations about night launches. Black Powder Catos look so cool at night. Looks like fireworks. And there was quite a few catos that night. must be the cold. And at night, you see how sparky black powder motors really are, all the way up to ejection.

Due to accidentally bumping something on my camera, most of my pictures came out overexposed, so I only got a few pics from the start of the launch :(

Last edited:
Here are some pics of the Frick-N-Frack drag race.
Mine is second from the right. It was also the last to leave the pad.

F-N-F dr2 sm.jpg

F-N-F dr3 sm.jpg

F-N-F dr4 sm.jpg

Here's some video from Saturday's launch. This was shot with a $20 camera.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/_LtXywuFQkE&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/_LtXywuFQkE&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

My videos from the launch:

Renegade with D12-0 + 2x A10-3T / C6-7.
[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/m-QFqgHIatQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/m-QFqgHIatQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Marauder with G64-7
[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/rM2SeYcHsOE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/rM2SeYcHsOE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Ladyrobin 2.0 with I540
[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/03PtsbsldLc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/03PtsbsldLc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Back