CMASS launch, October 3rd, Amesbury

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jflis

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Who's coming? What'cha flying??

I will be there with a repeat of many of the proto's I flew at the anniversary launch, along with 2-3 more to test out. If you want to see some of what's coming down the pike at FlisKits, this is a good launch to attend :)

See you folks there!

REMEMBER: If you are looking for items other than kits please send me an email and I will be sure to bring it to the launch.

jim

I'll be coming as long as it's not cancelled.

I'm bringing the hotdogs and rolls so if I don't come, you don't eat.

It looks like I'll be bringing an umbrella and raincoat as well but there's only a 50% chance of rain and they have been wrong before.

Of course they are predicting wind too so what could be more comfortable than wind and rain.

no, duh... LOL

Ok, i'll ask... Who's going if it IS canceled?? :D
I could have said that I'm coming only if the weather is perfect.

But even if it's cold and wet (think NEMROC 2005) , I'll come even though it's nearly a 2 hour drive for me.

I could have said that I'm coming only if the weather is perfect.

But even if it's cold and wet (think NEMROC 2005) , I'll come even though it's nearly a 2 hour drive for me.

:) oh, i certainly agree! I remember one launch with a bunch of us sitting in the parking lot (Amesbury) discussing it and finally canceling...

:) oh, i certainly agree! I remember one launch with a bunch of us sitting in the parking lot (Amesbury) discussing it and finally canceling...

As I recall, that was your anniversary launch a few years ago. We were trying to figure out how to save the cake until the next launch.

Here's the picture that Bill took.
He only got out of his truck to take the picture. :rolleyes:
I like to call it Fool's in the rain. :)

Fools in the rain sm.jpg

Looks like we're canceled for today, but looking at tomorrow as a possibility...

darned rain... :(

Here's the picture that Bill took.
He only got out of his truck to take the picture. :rolleyes:
I like to call it Fool's in the rain. :)

Either our fellow CMASS members live in houses without windows or they've come to realize how crazy we are. I've been sitting next to the answering machine that has the launch status since 8:00 and the phone has rung at least 10 times. I can hear the rain without looking out the window.

I'm going to agonize all day today about the decision tomorrow morning. It looks like it's going to be a fairly nice day after the rain stops but they're not being too specific about if that's going to be at 10:00 or 2:00.

Ok, so we launched on Oct 4th... It was a good choice as yesterday was miserable, raw, rainy... today was a dead calm, cool, overcast followed by clear skies. Perfect. Simply perfect.

I was thrilled because I got to finish testing on all of my proto's including the Goddard rocket (2 different versions), 3's a Charm (micro tri-glide), IONIC (tentative name) and Mystic (tentative name). Everything went picture perfect on all flights! :)

I hope to have the photo's uploaded into an album soon. In the mean times, here are some of the highlights (well, for me anyway :) )

1. Goddard Rocket L-13. I flew it on a C6-5 but didn't get a launch shot. Perfect flight. This will be one of two planned commemorative kits for NARCON 2010
  2. IONIC (tentative name): Flew this on a C6-5. It wabbled a bit, but a great flight, very high. I hope to have this kit out this winter. Watch for details :)
  3. Mystic (tentative name) on a B6-4. Arrow straight, very high, incredibly kewl looking in the air! Coming this winter
  4. Goddard 1st liquid fuel rocket about 1/3 scale in a scale launch rack. (that's Scott in the background). This is the second *planned* NARCON commemorative kit. Still lots of work to do though to make this kit-able.
  5. Perfect boost on a B6-2. It later flew perfectly on a C6-3. This rocket is incredible! Perfect flights, no flight nor recovery damamge. Solid as a rock.

DSC04376.JPG

DSC04368.JPG

DSC04379.JPG

DSC04364.JPG

DSC04365.JPG

Also our own Bob Harrington (BobH48) got his Level 1 yesterday. :clap:
Here's Bob and his Madcow Patriot.

Bob_Patriot sm.jpg

Patriot lo1 sm.jpg

Patriot lo2 sm.jpg

Bob Harrington flying an H motor? On a rocket made of a tube he did not roll for himself?

Will wonders never cease?

Congrats Bob!

Video at 1/5 speed. The F22-5 was really a 7.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/gcNYf730v3M&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/gcNYf730v3M&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

that is a kewl video, Bill. Great shots of the whole field while under chute :)

The video from the second flight would have been even better. It had a G77 and went straight up. Unfortunately, the mirror slipped and it wasn't very high before all I could see was the side of the rocket. My sophisticated mirror positioning system is a piece of kevlar string wrapped around a screw. I believe it's time to redesign that part.

It looks like the mirror or camera wasn't positioned quite right. It appears as if the camera is seeing past the mirror in one corner of the frame until ejection.

Prety cool video, although I didn't see myself wave at the camera as it took off 30' from me.

It looks like the mirror or camera wasn't positioned quite right. It appears as if the camera is seeing past the mirror in one corner of the frame until ejection.

Prety cool video, although I didn't see myself wave at the camera as it took off 30' from me.

The camera must have been twisted a little because the mirror can't move in that direction. I slapped that thing together the week before NARAM planning on making permanent changes later. Later will probably be this winter.

Man, what a great day to fly rockets. I arrived at the field shortly after noon and the weather was still gloomy. But there was no wind. Later in the afternoon the skies cleared up. And Still there was no wind. Because of the humidity, I did not get as many good pictures of the launch that I typically do. Also, my Digital Video Camera called it quits. The switch broke, and the camera did not track right so the video that was shot was corrupted.

During this launch, there was a lot of motor catos. Saw what I think was a D12-5 cato, a quest motor detonated after clearing the launch rod, saw two different flyers suffer from F25 catos, and I saw an G80 blow the side off a HV Arcas.

Flis Tri-Glide - B6-4 – I named the gliders so I can tell them apart. Bill, Doug, and Jim. Apparently “Bill” shot down “Doug” and “Jim” because those gliders red barroned in and “Bill” had a great flight.
Quest Zenith II B6-0/A8-5 – This rocket was finished a while ago, but never got a chance to fly it. I like how much tube coupler they give you to connect the stages together. When I built the rocket, I made sure that the thumb tab on the sustainers motor hook would not interfere with the motor tube of the booster. I ended up trimming the thumb tabs off the hook. The flight was perfect.
Quest X-15 – B6-4 - Before my flight, I saw another Quest X-16 flight attempt. The builder did not glue its wings on right, and the rocket was unstable. I was hoping my X-15 would not be unstable but it was. This rocket needs nose weight.
Flis Praetor II – B6-0/B6-4 – The second flight attempt of my Praetor II. I tried flying this at the Flis Anneversary launch, but it did not stage. This time it staged, and had a perfect flight.
Aerotech Sumo – G75-6J – This was an old G75-10J. So old it had the original nozzle design with the steep combustion chamber and classic delay design. I had some old -6 delays that I have replaced with RMS+ modules so I used one of those to get the 6 second delay. Perfect flight of my favorite motor to use in my Sumo.

Shorten Hotel Express – CTI F36-4SS – I lost the raffle for the free 1G Pro29 load, however I got to participate in the flight. The winner did not have a rocket to fly it in, so he came up to me and asked if I had a rocket that it would fly in. When I found out what motor it was, I felt that my Hotel Express was to heavy for a glorified E motor, so I took the top off the Hotel Express, and borrowed a 3” nosecone from the guy next to me’s Big Daddy. I chose a 4 second delay, and handed the rocket over to the winner. It was a picture perfect flight.
Hotel Express – KBA G82-10W – After I got my Hotel Express back, I put the upper section back on and got it ready for its next flight. I flew it with a KBA G82-10W. This white lightning motor uses the Kosdon 29/150 motor. Ignition was quick and boosted the hotel express out of sight. Unfortunately I only got one picture and that was the igniter fire licking the blast deflector.

EZI-65 – KBA H225-10R – Another KBA load, this time using the Kosdon 29/250 motor. Great high flight in my EZI-65 with deployment right at the top :)
Estes DER RED MAX – D13-7W – Want to have some fun? Try flying your DER RED MAX with a D13-7W motor. Be warned though, only do it on a calm day. Good thing this was a calm day. Awesome loud and fast flight.
Aerotech Astrobee D – G64-4W – After an issue of a copperhead shorting itself an inch below the nozzle, I reattached the leads to the copperhead and the second time was a charm. The Astrobee shot straight and true with the awesome fire, smoke, and sound that the G64 offers.
Flis Paylord 3x C6-5 – Another rocket that I had loaded and didn’t fly at the Flis Anniversary launch. Took advantage of the calm winds to launch this rocket with three C6-5 motors. Perfect flight :).

Pictures located here: https://www.gardei.com/Oct42009/

Jim Flis (AKA Robert Goddard) - COOL flight on the Goddard Rocket!

Bob Harrington - Congratulations on the L1!
Done in style with a very nice looking Mad Cow Patriot.

What motor did you use?
How did the flight go?
What altitude do you estimate you hit?

Last edited:
Jim Flis (AKA Robert Goddard) - COOL flight on the Goddard Rocket!

Bob Harrington - Congratulations on the L1!
Done is style with a very nice looking Mad Cow Patriot.

What motor did you use?
How did the flight go?
What altitude do you estimate you hit?
I used a Cesaroni Pro29 H90. My goal was a "low and slow" flight to get the cert done.

The sim said it should eject just before apogee at about 900 ft. and it ejected just after apogee. I'm guessing that the altitude prediction was pretty close.

The rocket landed with no damage.

Bob Harrington flying an H motor? On a rocket made of a tube he did not roll for himself?

Will wonders never cease?

Congrats Bob!
Thanks Al,

The thought of trying this on a paper rocket did cross my mind more than once.

And yes, an H motor even though I'm mostly an LPR kind of guy and never even flew a G motor before.

I did fly an F40 in a saucer once. ;)

Back