CMASS Launch & NRC Event - 23 April, 2022 - Amesbury, MA

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KennB

I-95 Envoy
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
We’re starting another new season in Amesbury!! Our 23 April launch is on the schedule. As the pandemic continues, please read the information we have published about the COVID-19 rules and restrictions, fill in, print out, sign and bring your tracing form with you to the launch. Without the form, you will not be able to launch and will be asked to leave the field. Face covers are requested for all approaching the Safety Check station.

We will continue to park at the launch site. This means you can drive out the path to the field and park your car perpendicular to the roadway just far enough onto the grass to clear the path. We can use both sides of the road. Only the trailer, the vehicle towing it and the food delivery car are allowed to drive onto the field. Leave an empty car-width space between your car and the next. When you set up your preparation area, leave at least six feet to any other set up; there’s lots of space between the parked cars and the flight line – there’s no need to crowd up toward the flight line.

Set up will be at 9:30 with flying starting as soon after 10 AM as we can. We will be stopping at 4 PM at the latest, breaking down the set up and packing into the trailer. Many hands make light work so please pitch in. Use the Launch Duty sign-up sheet to secure your position at Safety Check, Launch Control or Food Service.

There will not be a motor vendor on the field.

We will conduct high-power flights as the conditions permit. If you’re new to the club, please bring a good computer simulation of your mid- or high-power flight. In any case, please match your motor to the rocket to keep your landing on the field. If the wind blows toward the wires we will curtail HPR and limit low- and mid-power flights to 1000-ft altitudes.

Please remember to drive slowly, 5 mph, on the path out to the field. Watch for dogs that may be off leash and others using this city park. We still ask for your cooperation in sharing our hobby and this space with others.

Does anyone know off the top of their head what the longest 1010 rail available is? I could bring an 8' or 8'+4'=12' for a LOC 7.5" Doorknob I'd like to get an L2 cert on during the May launch. Running sims purchasing a motor now and want to make sure I use the correct rail length. Currently assuming 8' minus 20" for the distance between my rail buttons. This short fat rocket will be keeping it in the 800' elevation range considering the small field and redundant DD.

The club has a couple of 8-ft 1010 rails. The May launch is in Acton where we are limited to low- and mid-power flights.
Depending on your Doorknob's flight profile, we may not even be able to offer you a chance to cert at our Amesbury launches in April, September, October and November.

The club has a couple of 8-ft 1010 rails. The May launch is in Acton where we are limited to low- and mid-power flights.
Depending on your Doorknob's flight profile, we may not even be able to offer you a chance to cert at our Amesbury launches in April, September, October and November.

Oh thanks didn't realize May wasn't going to be in Amesbury!

Due to a small grass fire in an adjacent field, we had to shut down early today at the request of the Deputy Fire Chief in charge of Safety. We're not sure if the fire was related to our launch or not; no one thinks any of our rockets landed in that area but I can't think of anything else that may have started it.

Our club is well trained in fighting grass fires and many of our members and visitors got out there quickly with water pump cans, fire brooms and a fire rake. It looked like it would be too large for us to handle so I contacted the Deputy Fire Chief directly (it pays to have good relations with the local authorities) and he got a crew out to the field. Amazingly, as the AFD was pulling up, our team had put out the last of the flames. The DFC was impressed and complimented us on our quick reaction. His crew hosed down the 1/4 acre to ensure everything was cooled off. I was very grateful that he told the police officer who came to the scene that there would be no incident report.

While there has been plenty of rain and the grass was green to a great extent, there was still a lot of thatch under the green. The DFC said we could continue to fly but we needed to keep our landings away from that area. The wind picked up and blew right toward the burn zone so after three more rockets went that way, the DFC asked that we cease operations for the day. Lots of disappointed flyers especially the college students who were lined up to do their L1 Cert flights but the good news is we'll be able to get back on the field for our next schedule launch there in September. Until then, monthly launches in a low- and mid-power field.

Last edited:
Thanks for the post Kenn! I was at the launch and was impressed with the club's fire response and relationship with the DFC. While disappointing to close early, it was the right call and looking forward to flying more in the future.

Back