CMASS Launch - Amesbury, MA - 21 November 2020

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KennB

I-95 Envoy
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
It's time to wrap up the 2020 flying season, such as it's been. We'll have our normal launch from noon to four, then breakdown and pack up all the gear and set up a small set of pads to do our night launch. Please read the information we have published about the COVID-19 rules and restrictions, fill in, print out, sign and bring your tracing form with you to the launch. Without the form, you will not be able to launch and will be asked to leave the field. Face covers are required at all times for all attendees.

We have gotten permission to park at the launch site. This means you can drive out the path to the field and park your car perpendicular to the roadway just far enough onto the grass to clear the path. We can use both sides of the road. Only the trailer and the vehicle towing it are allowed to drive onto the field. Leave an empty car-width space between your car and the next. When you set up your preparation area, leave at least six feet to any other set up; there’s lots of space between the parked cars and the flight line – there’s no need to crowd up toward the flight line.

We've done a good job of social distancing while in the Safety Check line in this new era. Let’s keep up those good habits. We will also continue our shortened day with no food service. Set up will be at 11:30 with flying starting as soon after noon as we can. We will be stopping at 4 PM or earlier, breaking down the set up and packing into the trailer. Many hands make light work so please pitch in.

Esther's Engines will be on the field with Quest Q-Jet and Aerotech motors. These will mostly be motors that have been preordered but check out the rest of the stock they have with them and order something for the next launch.

We will conduct high-power flights as the conditions permit. The wind will dictate the HPR capabilities. Please remember, we rent the whole field so don't be afraid to use some of the land toward the parking lot to recover your rocket. If you’re new to the club, please bring a good computer simulation of your flight. In any case, please match your motor to the rocket to keep your landing on the field. It's not predicted to blow toward the wires but if this happens we will curtail HPR and limit low- and mid-power flights to 1000-ft altitudes.

As of the day of this post, we'll be allowed to have a total of 50 people at our launch. This number comes from the mayor of Amesbury and may be lower than the state would allow. Keep an eye on the website for any updates.

We're authorized to a little higher but it's great to keep things under 2500 feet. Depending on the wind direction, even that would be too high.

Would love to be there with my granddaughter but we have a prior commitment. See you all in the spring. I've been building like crazy.

Ken, is there a specific place you guys meet before hand? I don't. Mind helping with setup n stuff.. and I'll keep the ceiling at 2,000 or less depending. See you saturday!!!

With the virus situation, I don't think there are any plans to gather for a meal before the launch and possibly not afterwards, either.
Straight to the field would be the best bet.

Got the word from the city that we are good for a maximum of 50 people at our event like earlier in November.
As much as we like spectators, if you are flying and have an entourage with you, it would be a good move on your part to ask them to depart for a period of time if we go over the 50 cap. Once we get past the peak, they are welcome to come back.

There won't be any problem with the night launch as most people leave before that (and miss a great show).

UPDATE from Esther's Engines: Terrible news!

Our motor order is stuck in a FedEx facility in New Jersey. It looks like it won't be delivered in time for the launch (even thought we ordered in a week and a half ago). The inventory in the post on the CMASS forum anticipated us receiving that order, so without it, our inventory will be pretty limited tomorrow--mostly QJet-E motors.

Back