CMASS launch 25-April

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jflis

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
While not the first of the year (that was done in January :) ), it is the first launch of the season (season begun with NARCON - arbitrary, I know, but that's how I see it :) )

Who's coming out? I will be there. Hope to get flights on my Tiddlywink and Nantucket Sound, to name a few. Also hope to see several of my Boys & Girls Club kids out there as well.

What are you flying!??!

jim

I'll be threre.
We are almost done with that littel project. Hotrod Nitro FireBall just needs one more build session tommorrow.

Yes Mr. Flis your idea worked, (in testing) and has been incorporated.

Should be interesting;) One way or another! No matter what, it will be thrilling!

Edit added a photo

IMG_8241.jpg

Last edited:
I'll be threre.
We are almost done with that littel project. Hotrod Nitro FireBall just needs one more build session tommorrow.

Should be interesting;) One way or another! No matter what, it will be thrilling!

That kind of thinking has always excited me. I remember getting ready to launch my UFFO with a rainbow of twelve 60 foot streamers attached to it during Imagination Celebration at NARAM. When asked what it was going to do I said "all I can say is, one way or another, it's going to be spectacular"...

Well, with a blown nozzle, it never even left the launch pad. But it WAS spectacular! :D Especially when they had to hit it with the fire extinguisher... LOL

I plan on being there.

I'm hoping to get the first flight on my Salamander-5 rocket glider.

Seven of us spent today at Bill's cleaning out the trailer and checking/repairing all the launch equipment.

• All high power pads were cleaned and repainted.
  • All low/mid-power relay launchers were refurbished and checked out.
  • All cables and clip leads have been cleaned, repaired and checked out.
  • Radio CMASS was reprogramed to 98.9 FM and may have a background music channel.
  • All launch rods and rails were cleaned and sorted.
  • All fire extinguishers have been updated with foam heads and filled.
  • All pad stakes were refurbished and repainted.
  • New stakes for crowd control flags have been purchased.
  • Propane and Nitrous tanks refilled.
  • All food prep and storage equipment cleaned.
  • Several new fire blankets were obtained.
  • Trailer decals were cleaned and minor rust spots repainted.
  • If it was broke it got fixed.

Bottom line - we're all set for next weekend!

Bob

I'll be flying the Delta E. Just finishing up some modifications after the last flight and repairs to one of the drop boosters.

I am going to be there for sure been waiting for it for months.I have one planned flight which is going to be my Cosmodrome Aerobee Hi on a G71 to F52.And will prob bring out my King Kraken and some others but its the Aerobee that I need to put up and I am hoping for a good flight.

I am going to be there for sure been waiting for it for months.I have one planned flight which is going to be my Cosmodrome Aerobee Hi on a G71 to F52.And will prob bring out my King Kraken and some others but its the Aerobee that I need to put up and I am hoping for a good flight.

Sweet! I love seeing the ABHi fly, but I get so streesed out flying mine. It will be good to be able to sit back and relax for this one.:D But don't worry, I'll get my dose of stress from the Delta E, although not as much now that I know the boosters drop away as planned.

Sweet! I love seeing the ABHi fly, but I get so streesed out flying mine. It will be good to be able to sit back and relax for this one.:D But don't worry, I'll get my dose of stress from the Delta E, although not as much now that I know the boosters drop away as planned.

Yeah I gotta say the stress level is high on this launch, I wish I had some kind of low current igniter or e-match to use for the sustainer all I have right now is a first fire jr but I think I will put in a chip of blue thunder when I build the motor.

I also must say that I can't wait to see that Delta E of your fly again hopefully with better results this time.The kit of yours I am waiting on the the Titan IIIc I really like the look of the titans.

Last edited:
Yeah I gotta say the stress level is high on this launch, I wish I had some kind of low current igniter or e-match to use for the sustainer all I have right now is a first fire jr but I think I will put in a chip of blue thunder when I build the motor.

I also must say that I can't wait to see that Delta E of your fly again hopefully with better results this time.The kit of yours I am waiting on the the Titan IIIc I really like the look of the titans.

I'm dipping some igniters today. Will test them with a microTimer2 / 9V combination. I also have some other low current igniters.

I've got most of the bugs out of the Delta E. I still have a problem packing the chute into the available space. Once I have the final version ready this won't be a problem.

I'm going to concentrate on getting the Lambda and delta E released and then I plan on finishing up the X-15A and Titan IIIC. With the success of the drop boosters on the Delta E I'm considering making the Titan IIIC with drop boosters as well. Maybe if I got some people to prod me in that direction... :rolleyes:

I've got 10 new rockets all making their maiden flights.

Loc Viper III
Semroc Tau Zero and SST Shuttle-1
FlisKits Thunderbird and Adfecta
Estes Interceptor E
Launch Pad Exocet AM 39
And three scratch builds Solaris, Regent and Airy.

Mike, let me see how you fold the chutes when we are at the launch. I have a method of packing chutes in small spaces that has worked well for me for many many years (learned it from a science kit from Radioshack when I was much younger boy)

Mike, let me see how you fold the chutes when we are at the launch. I have a method of packing chutes in small spaces that has worked well for me for many many years (learned it from a science kit from Radioshack when I was much younger boy)

Doug,

I think that it is more of the chute getting cought in the transition (it splits btween the BT and the transition with most of the chute in the transition). I think that if I reverse the shock cord and have the chute closer to the BT that will help. Of course I'm open to any help in this matter.

Any chance you can bore out the transition and run a length of BT clear thru it?

Bob

I'll be threre.

I'm thinking that this is a high power rocketry record attempt. I have not heard of of any other high power rocket with 6 parallel second stages.

Bob

Any chance you can bore out the transition and run a length of BT clear thru it?

Bob

This is how the first prototype was built. Due to changes in the kit, namely the deployable boosters and wanting to cut down on weight, I changed the design. The problem is how I had to build this temporary transition. The final design will allow more than enough room for the chute to be easily packed. Hopefully I'll have the final version ready by the fall.

Originally Posted by bobkrech
I'm thinking that this is a high power rocketry record attempt.

Hmm... might be? I've never seen it done, that's the reason I got very interested when DELTA22 first made the suggestion.

Who keeps those sort of records anyway?:D

It will be a CMASS record at least!
And that's saying something.

. Already asking myself, What's next? Got this rocket project fever.:rolleyes:

more info
https://www.rocketryplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3262

Last edited:
Just a reminder that FlisKits will be on field with a full booth of our kits. Please take note that I don't bring parts and accessories unless specifically ordered.

If there is something on our web site that you want other than model rocket kits, please send me an email (DO NOT REPLY HERE) and I will gladly bring it along.

Remember, CMASS earns 10% on all field purchases so when you by something you are also helping out your club :)

See you folks on Saturday!
jim

CMASS Amesbury April 25th

Rocket Hunters / Retrievers Needed. I need your help!

The planned launch of the Hot Rod Nitro Fireball this Saturday leaves me with an interesting dilemma that could only occur as part of such a unique launch.

How do I track and retrieve Six (yes six) separate small rockets at the same time?

I'm sure it would be an entertaining spectacle to watch me run around in the field like a headless chicken chasing rockets..... :Dbut I may have a better way.

Here's the deal,.. Bring back one of the six small rockets, I'll give you a free HotRod Rockets kit! It's that simple.
Just bring them back to HotRod Central Command ( my table ) and pick out your kit from my freebie box.

First back first pick. This is intended for Kids... or for the young at heart.

Thank you all for your support!

I'll be there. I have 12 winter builds to fly. A bunch of clones, a few goonies, and a small project I've been working on- my 4x13 1x24 Estes Saturn V. Should be fun.

I will have the following selection of loc kits for sale at the upcoming launch this Saturday.

Aura $30
Weasel $35
Legacy $35
Starburst $55
Cool Spool $35
EZI-65 $80
Lil Nuke $37
Hi-Tech $56
Viper III $42
Viper IV $42
Graduator $50

I do accept checks and cash. You can also paypal me before the launch (send e-mail to me first to make sure the kit you want is not claimed.)

Hey guys,

I'm in seminary in South Hamilton, Mass. So I'm planning to drive up with the fam. and check things out. Does it cost anything to park or get in? Looks like great weather on Saturday, at least temp. and Sun wise. I don't know about the wind.

Mark Schnell

Jim, if I had thought about it a bit I could have just picked my recent order up from you there and saved the shipping cost!

No change unless you what to fly.
But bring money so you can get some of our hot dogs. :)

Also no parking on the field unless you have a handicap plate. Parking is at the entrance to the field.

Hey all,

My brothers and will not be there on saturday due to a track meet. :( We were planning on flying our scratch built rockets on saturday but that will have to wait. I built a two-stage rocket flying on a D12-0 to a D12-7. My brother mark was going to fly his three stage (he couldn't last year due to it being unstable) so he fixed that. That is going to fly on a D12-0 to a C6-0 to a C6-7. And finally my other brother built a 3x24mm rocket flying on a central D12-7 (which will deploy the chute) and two C11-3s on either side of that. Hope you all have fun it is supposed to be gorgeous!

Redsox15, please post some photos somewhere! Mybe a build thread.

If they are the rockets I think they are? They are very unique rather cool looking (flame fins?)

I remember the multi stager,;) I hope to see you guys fly it later this year!

Nice to see rockets scratch built with some independent thought process.

Hotrod,

I will try and get some pictures up of the finished fleet soon.

Matt

Actually I'm not entirely sure how to post pictures. Once I do know I will post them haha :p

I thought I would make it, but then the flu hit me! Stinks.

I'll be there if I can but I'm not hopeful.

Beleave it or not but I am hopeing to be their. It all depends on my gas situation. but I'll be bringing my galatic taxi clone, crusader swing wing glider, Corn-E , A-corm, and Cornroc as well as a few others even if I cant fly them.

Latest posts

Back