CMASS launch 25-April

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beleave it or not but I am hopeing to be their. It all depends on my gas situation. but I'll be bringing my galatic taxi clone, crusader swing wing glider, Corn-E , A-corm, and Cornroc as well as a few others even if I cant fly them.

I hope you made it to the launch it was a good one.

Sorry to say i did not make it i was stuck on rt-110 with two blown tires:bang:. I hit a car hood that fell off the back of a pickup truck:y:. I was not harmed and neither was the car behind me. 4 hours later I made it home safely. Tomarrow begins the hunt for cheap used tires. :update good new mass state police in conjunction with amsbury police found who owned the truck the hood fell off of. Hopefully their insured and it will cover new tires. guess what its a junk yard.:

Last edited:
Caveat emptor. Glad to know you were not hurt.

What a beautiful day to launch rockets! Warm, and the wind cooperated most of the day (got worse towards the end of the launch). Launched a total of nine flights.

Edmond Ecee - A10-3T - Perfect Glide
Semroc Oso - C6-5
Sunward Phoenix - C6-3
Estes Der Red Max - D13-7W
Loc Legacy - F24-7W
Loc Lil Nuke - E9-4
PML MR-1 - G53-5J
Hotel Express - AMW G46-8TT
Aerotech Sumo - H238-10T

It was indeed a beautiful day for a launch. The Delta E flew very well while deploying the three drop boosters. I did have one electrical glitch while prepping it, but I've already got that point of failure worked out. The night before I spent about three hours testing it in various ways with great success. Then I get it to the field and it won't power up. :mad: Go figure! Anyway, it looks like the design is worked out, now I just need to get the production parts ordered and ready (body tubes, laser cut parts, etc...).

It was a little warm for April but better than a little cold.

I got 10 flights in.
First up was the Salamander-5 on a B6-2. It was probably a little breezier than it should have been for the first flight. It arched up under boost just like it was supposed to but during the coast phase, the wind blew it over on its back. The up flap that is supposed to push the nose over was just enough to put it into a fast inverted glide and it headed just over the trailer. When the ejection charge burned the string holding the flaps it did an inverted dive right through the door into the back of Bill's truck.

The remaining flights were uneventful.
Estes Patriot on a C6-5
FliskitsTriskelion on a C6-5
Upscale Cherokee on an F39-6T
Astron Falcon clone on a B4-2
Art Applewhite Cone on an E9-4
Fliskits Long Overdue on a C6-5
Fliskits Acme Spitfire on a D12-3
Semroc Skyhook on an A8-3
Art Applewhite Stealth on an F12-5J

The Skyhook had a streamer and it only went up on an A8-3 but it was the longest recovery walk I had all day.

It was a little warm for April but better than a little cold.

I got 10 flights in.
First up was the Salamander-5 on a B6-2. It was probably a little breezier than it should have been for the first flight. It arched up under boost just like it was supposed to but during the coast phase, the wind blew it over on its back. The up flap that is supposed to push the nose over was just enough to put it into a fast inverted glide and it headed just over the trailer. When the ejection charge burned the string holding the flaps it did an inverted dive right through the door into the back of Bill's truck.

The remaining flights were uneventful.
Estes Patriot on a C6-5
FliskitsTriskelion on a C6-5
Upscale Cherokee on an F39-6T
Astron Falcon clone on a B4-2
Art Applewhite Cone on an E9-4
Fliskits Long Overdue on a C6-5
Fliskits Acme Spitfire on a D12-3
Semroc Skyhook on an A8-3
Art Applewhite Stealth on an F12-5J

The Skyhook had a streamer and it only went up on an A8-3 but it was the longest recovery walk I had all day.

Bob, you forgot to mention that Bill was in the back of the truck at the time. :p

Bob, you forgot to mention that Bill was in the back of the truck at the time. :p

Or the flight later in the day where the flying Porta Potty put a dent in my hood. I think this is the longest I've had a truck before it got dinged by a rocket.

I watched Bob's glider boost but lost sight of it until it came to visit me in the truck.

It was a great day :) Although I left my Tiddlywink at home Bill got several flights out of his.

I got to fly everything I wanted including my Nantucket Sound proto (Boris got his in the air too :) ) and also a new kit (the NERRF-5 commemorative kit).

I will post more pix later, but here's my Nantucket Sound on a D12-3

jim

DSC02717.JPG

It was a great day :) Although I left my Tiddlywink at home Bill got several flights out of his.

As a service to Jim I demonstrated everything that the end user could do wrong. You must use good masking tape to hold the motor in and you can not use a MircoMaxx NE motor. When I finally got everything right if flew great.

As a service to the club, I did not fly anything with electronics.:roll:

Ironically, still managed a lawn dart... with a E9-4.:shock: Motor had a weak ejection.

Later in the year, I am hoping to build the Ladyrobin II (depending if I get a new job or move into a refrigerator box). Similar specs to the first Ladyrobin, but with two altimeters and learning from the mistake that crashed the Phoenix, each altimeter will have its own switch. Also looking into the possibility of radio control backup.

Highlight of the launch:

Rocket%20Sample.jpg

Full Size :
https://www.gardei.com/April252009/Hot_Rod_Nitro_Fireball_Liftoff.jpg

https://www.gardei.com/April252009/Hot_Rod_Nitro_Fireball_Thrusting.jpg

https://www.gardei.com/April252009/Hot_Rod_Nitro_Fireball_Thrusting_2.jpg

Pictures (c) gardei.com. Please do not post elsewhere without permission.

Last edited:
As a service to Jim I demonstrated everything that the end user could do wrong. You must use good masking tape to hold the motor in and you can not use a MircoMaxx NE motor. When I finally got everything right if flew great.

"that's my story, and I'm stickin' to it", eh??? :D

I still think you could have gotten better hang time if you had hung the thing over the hot dog cooker and warped those blades just a tad... :)

"that's my story, and I'm stickin' to it", eh??? :D

Where else can you see every possible failure mode without getting off your chair?

I still think you could have gotten better hang time if you had hung the thing over the hot dog cooker and warped those blades just a tad... :)
I'm not greedy. If it rotates I'm happy.

quick question for anyone,

How big is the tewksbury field? I have only launched at amesbury so I dont know what can be launched there and still come back down. :)

Matt

Not big. A-D, maybe F and G if you willing to risk loosing your bird. Defiently no 1:10 scale Saturn V launch there. Saving that for Amesbury :roll:j k :D

quick question for anyone,

How big is the tewksbury field? I have only launched at amesbury so I dont know what can be launched there and still come back down. :)

Matt
https://www.cmass.org/index.php?option=com_gmaps&task=viewmap&Itemid=32&mapId=3

This is the field. It's pretty small but it's what we can get locally in May due to the Spring baseball, softball, soccer and lacrosse field demands.

As shown in the photograph, it's about 450' x 500' with trees around it and rocket eating woods and swamp to the East. Strictly a low power field for rather inexpensive rockets. You want to keep it below 500', and less if there's wind.

Bob

https://www.cmass.org/index.php?option=com_gmaps&task=viewmap&Itemid=32&mapId=3

This is the field. It's pretty small but it's what we can get locally in May due to the Spring baseball, softball, soccer and lacrosse field demands.

As shown in the photograph, it's about 450' x 500' with trees around it and rocket eating woods and swamp to the East. Strictly a low power field for rather inexpensive rockets. You want to keep it below 500', and less if there's wind.

Bob

Bob, That image is in the restricted area. Could you pull that for others to see?

Its all good I can see it. Im a member of CMASS as well as the website. But i second jim, a good idea to leave it out for others who arent members to see.

Matt

Its all good I can see it. Im a member of CMASS as well as the website. But i second jim, a good idea to leave it out for others who arent members to see.

Matt

The picture shows the general location. In the past we've been on at least three different parts of that field. Tewksbury likes to double book the field. Last year we showed up and found a soccer game going on so we moved to a different area. We're going to try to avoid that this year. We'd really like to find a different place to fly in May but nothing else was available.

sounds good. My brothers and I hope to make it out to the next one! :)

Matt

Back