CMASS 2021 Winter Follies - Acton, MA

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KennB

I-95 Envoy
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
We are GO for Sunday, 17 January.

It’s January and Winter Follies time is upon us. I hope everyone had a good and safe holiday season.

Our plan was to try and hold this year’s launch on 09 January but we are sliding the date to the 16th at the earliest. This is due to the state limiting the total number of people at an outdoor gathering like ours to 25 through the 10th.

We’ll see if that number is raised after that date and try for the 16th. If the number is still 25 or if the weather looks bad for the 16th, we’ll reschedule. Keep an eye on the website or this thread for the latest information.

Whenever we do hold our Winter Follies, we’ll still need you to read our COVID-19 restrictions and fill out the second page so you can present that for tracing purposes at the launch.

As usual for Acton, there are no high-power flights allowed. Match your low- or mid-power motor to your rocket so it will land on the field; you don’t want to put it in the trees and we don’t want you to put it on Route 2. While we are paying rent for the field, we do not charge launch fees for the Winter Follies. We will be charging launch fees later this year and, I hope, be able to serve our famous hot dogs at our launches.

So bring your rockets, motors, starters and wadding; we’ll supply the launch equipment and all the advice you need and probably more than want.

Last edited:
The governor has extended the restriction for two weeks until the 24th of January. We will have to go ahead with the limit of 25 people in mind.
As stated above, we'll try for the 16th; I'll make the call by Thursday, the 14th, at the latest once we see what the weather forecast shows. If needed, we can move to that Sunday or the next weekend. With virtual NARCON 2021 taking place 29 to 31 January, we won't be able to postpone that late in the month.

Due to predicted rain on Saturday the 16th, we will postpone our Winter Follies launch until Sunday the 17th. The forecast is for fairly stiff winds so make sure you pair your rocket and motor properly so you have more than a memory to bring home with you.

Flying will still be from 10 AM to 2 PM and we need to keep the number of people at the field to 25 or fewer.

Us too. Sorry, guys. Esther has soccer on Sundays.

Back