CMASS 20 July Launch - Apollo 11 Moon Landing Anniversary - Acton, MA

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KennB

I-95 Envoy
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Our next club launch is coming up on 20 July in Acton. That day is the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 moon landing and man's first steps on another celestial object. To celebrate the event, CMASS will hold a "Land the Eagle" competition as suggested by NAR. Frank D'Angelo is coordinating this activity for our section; see the forum post on our website for details. Prizes will be awarded.

As well, if you have any Saturn V/Apollo items to fly or just show off, bring them along. At our 06 July launch, Joe Lemanski flew Mercury, Gemini, Little Joe II and Saturn 1B rockets; come see if he's saving the Saturn V for the 20th.

As is our custom, set up will begin about 9:30 and flying will commence when we are set to go. The day will end at 4 PM. If you can help out setting up or breaking down, please do so; you get a much better feeling of flying satisfaction if you pitch in. Also, any NAR members who want to can volunteer for a shift or two at Launch Control or Safety Check - use the sign-up sheet to reserve your spot.

There will be a debriefing meal at a local restaurant immediately following the loading of the trailer.

Remember, Acton is a small field so chose your rocket/motor combination for the conditions when you launch to ensure you get your rocket back. High power motors are not allowed. We don't get a make-up day if the weather is bad so keep an eye on the home page for any last minute cancellations. We now have a better set up for less than ideal weather conditions (Thanks, Guy) so, unless it is forecast to make flights impossible, we'll put something up in the air and hit the restaurant early.

Gonna be a hot one, too. Weather forecast today said 100 degrees, so let's all stay hydrated!

Gonna be a hot one, too. Weather forecast today said 100 degrees, so let's all stay hydrated!

...but not much wind, as opposed to the last Acton launch.

I'll be there with my un-painted 1/100 Saturn V ... and a few other things just coming off the workbench.

An Excessive Heat Warning has been issued for this weekend. If you have a canopy or some source of shade, bring it along, use it and share it with others.
I'll be taking breaks during the day to cool off with the AC in my car; not fuel efficient but necessary.

Excellent launch yesterday. It was hot but that didn’t get in the way of the fun. And there was cake!

Thanks to Kenn and all of the CMASS crew who volunteered to make yesterday a well-organized and successful launch (including a "moon landing" contest), this despite the oppressive weather conditions. I left early as the weather was getting harmful for me, but it was inspiring to see how many folks showed up, including the green sea of Cub-Scouters with their E2Xs.

Back