CMASS 15 September 2019 Launch - Amesbury, MA

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KennB

I-95 Envoy
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
*** UPDATE *** The launch is being postponed to Sunday the 15th. We'll have better weather conditions on that day. Please see the post below.

Our next scheduled launch is on the 14th of September at the Woodsom Farm field in Amesbury. Keep an eye on the club website for any updates about the weather and flight date.

The soccer crowd won't be using the field so there should be plenty of easy parking. It would be great if we could have someone volunteer their car/van/SUV for shuttle use. Volunteers for driving, safety check, food service and LCO are always welcome.

We'll likely have no vendor on the field. Check around; there has been some discussion about group orders for motors,etc.

Check out this page for directions and parking information and this page for on-field etiquette. Use this page to sign up for volunteer duty at the launch.

Let us know what you'll be flying.

Last edited:
The forecast for Saturday is not great for our flying at Woodsom Farm. The wind will be above 10 mph with gusts to the mid-20's blowing right up toward the houses and apartment building. Sunday will be a little calmer (and warmer) with the wind blowing more toward the long axis of the field.

Be aware we will be sharing the field with a group of Powered Paragliders. They've reserved the field for Friday, Sunday and Monday. I've spoken with their organizer and we've worked out a deal. They will mostly be using the area between the parking lot and the llama/sheep pen. Generally, our flights don't land that far away. Also, they tend to break from going up in the air during the midday due to thermals, etc. but will still be doing some ground exercises then. I've said we'd keep our flying on Sunday to the hours between 11 AM and 3 PM, a shortened day for us but better than no flying. If we have something big that might drift toward them, we can communicate with them to stop and keep heads up to be sure of no interaction.

We'll still plan on starting our set up about 9:30 that morning so show up early and help out. This also gives you one more day to sign up for some launch duty or shuttle car use or driver. Sorry for the change of plans but we are at the mercy of the weather.

Kenn,

What are the limits for this field?
If the wind is ideal (which it rarely is) the max altitude allowed with dual deploy is 3900-feet. 2000-feet makes more sense but that could be reduced due to wind speed and direction. If the wind is out of the east, no HPR is allowed. The maximum impulse is J.

What are you thinking of flying?

Kenn,

Didn't have anything particular in mine but was thinking of taking a ride.

Back