CMASS 08 August 2020 Launch - Acton, MA

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KennB

I-95 Envoy
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
CMASS will be holding its first launch as we continue to work our way through the current pandemic. We will fly from the Acton School Street field on 08 August from 10 to 2. As usual, Acton is a small field so we are limited to low- and mid-power rockets. Be careful pairing your motors and rockets to be sure you recover on the field. There will not be any food service and food on the field is not allowed due to restrictions from the Acton Park/Rec group. Bring plenty of water to stay hydrated.

To comply with the current rules in the State of Massachusetts, we have put together a set of guidelines including a sheet for tracing information. Please follow this link, read the entire guide, fill out and print the form to bring along to the field. If you do not submit a form, you will not be allowed to fly.

As we haven’t had a warm weather launch as a club this year, there is a pent up feeling to get out there. We don’t want to exceed the 100 person limit by the state which includes participants, operators and spectators. While this is a family friendly sport, we ask that the number of extra people you bring be kept to a minimum. We will be practicing social distancing and ask for everybody’s cooperation and patience as we adjust to these new systems.

Follow the thread on the website Forum for any further updates.

It depends on the set up location and the weather conditions. The field is bordered by rather hungry trees on one side, wires strung along the road on the other, Route 2 not too far away and houses the other way. There's no set altitude so we rely on the flyer's judgement which, sometimes, is a mistake.

It depends on the set up location and the weather conditions. The field is bordered by rather hungry trees on one side, wires strung along the road on the other, Route 2 not too far away and houses the other way. There's no set altitude so we rely on the flyer's judgement which, sometimes, is a mistake.
what about a near 1,000 flight on a heavy bird?

It's likely been done. Some came back on the field, some are probably hanging in the trees. If it comes down on Route 2, we lose the field.
Another consideration, only low- and mid-power flights are allowed.

It's likely been done. Some came back on the field, some are probably hanging in the trees. If it comes down on Route 2, we lose the field.
Another consideration, only low- and mid-power flights are allowed.
[/
Btw, I know this is a Question that has a (obvious) answer, but I just want to double check, which Onsite vendors attend launches?

We currently don't have a vendor on the field. There is a family in Rhode Island that was offering to take orders earlier this year. I'm checking with them to see if they are still interested in doing this even though RI is on the Mass restricted list.

Back