Clustering Parachutes

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdma77

Reaction score
I saw that some people are using the RocketHead Rockets Mylar chutes. I am in the process of building a new rocket and I was wondering if anybody does parachute clustering? What I was thinking about doing was using two 24" chutes. Is this possible, is this a good idea and does anbody have any idea about the best way to do this?

Thanks,

Jeff

One thing about "clustering" chutes is, there's a far greater chance of recovery failure due to entanglements. I would think that if each chute was tied to a seperate shockcord, the percentage of successful recovery would increase. My $.02

Here are some shots from an earlier post. My TLP NIKE-AJAX recovers on a cluster of 3 mylar chutes. Of course, clustered chutes are more complex, but I have had no failures with this technique, and multi-chutes look GOOD in descent! I fold and wrap the shrouds individually as you would a single chute, then stack them together side by side loosely. Make sure each chute is on a swivel and hook all swivels to one swivel on one shock cord. Keep all lines flowing straight and carefully slide the stack into the body tube followed by the shock cord.:confused:

I have to agree with BillEblur:
Several Estes kits have bosted multi chutes, Saturn-V, 1/70th Saturn-1b, come to mind.. as well as a few recent smaller models. I like the way tandem chutes on a single Shock cord or Dual or Triple Chutes on independent shock line look. As someone mentioned packing and placement is much more important with multi chutes. One trick i've learned to ensure all the chutes come out of the body especially if the nose and body have seperate chutes is to pack and load the Nosecone Chute FIRST, loading the remaining chute or chutes on top. This method has been used with Mylar, Plastic, Nylon and combinations so far no failures. my OLD 1970 Satrun-V servived 139 flights using this method:D it just looks so Cool coming down under twin 24" chutes!

Originally posted by cdma77
I saw that some people are using the RocketHead Rockets Mylar chutes. I am in the process of building a new rocket and I was wondering if anybody does parachute clustering? What I was thinking about doing was using two 24" chutes. Is this possible, is this a good idea and does anbody have any idea about the best way to do this?

Thanks,

Jeff

I've drop tested three a few times and launched two several times.

If they're packed in the same body tube, fold them together in such a way that they unfold together, ie. don't roll one inside the other. You want simultaneous deployment. Also don't connect the shrouds directly to the same screw eye or whatever. Use something like a fishing leader to extend the shrouds with a single line each. If the chutes are too crowded they're tipped way over and your two chutes will work like maybe 1.5.

I did once try two chutes in series. That is, the leader extending the shrouds of one ran through the center hole cut in the first one. It worked fine, and also reduced the pendulum effect because the chutes swung at different frequencies.

If your design doesn't require two chutes, consider sticking with one. Less to go wrong. On the other hand, one chute = no backup.

DynaSoar is right - 1 parachute = less to go wrong. That said, my Estes Saturn 1b has had many flights, and never a problem on dual chutes. Oh, and it REALLY looks COOL! :cool:

I put 3 small chutes on my upscale USS Grissom. it's cool. they do tangle unless the shrouds are all tied on the shock cord closely together.

so, either put the 3 chutes together, or put them very far apart on separate shock cords.

the other trick is to use long shrouds, like 2x or even 3x the chute diameter. (usually we use 1.5x)

Back