Clustering Chutes

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fireone

Reaction score
I want to do something different for my L3 attempt, I am building an upscale Estes kit to 400 times origional size(5 1/2 BT). I would like to cluster 2- 60" chutes to bring it home. I have read some of the other threads but they all seem to be on smaller rockets than mine.
Is there someone that can give me some insite into what it will take to do this correctly?

If you wouldn't recomend doing this, would you explain why.

I love to see the Apollo spacecraft comming back on those three big chutes(little things excite me) and figured mine would look just as cool on the way down.

Thanks

Originally posted by fireone
I want to do something different for my L3 attempt, I am building an upscale Estes kit to 400 times origional size(5 1/2 BT).

400 times original size?
Is that a 5.5 inch body tube?
That would mean the original size of the Estes kit was 5.5 / 400 = 0.01375" in diameter!?
What am I missing?

Increasing the size of a model by 4.47X in all dimensions would yield a rocket 400X the size of the original (in terms of volume and total mass).

back to chutes ... some time ago I asked a similar question here, no real direct answers... I've seen a few and asked some experienced HPR fliers, also called Ky (Mr Rocketman) and talked about it.

bottom line: it will work fine. be careful packing them to keep them separate. calculate the size of the three by full-size area/3, not diameter/3 (should be obvious but has to be said anyways!). use same length shrouds (1.5x diameter) as usual. use long tethers to keep the chutes separate.

Thanks for the help so far.

I should have said a 400% upscale not 4oo times. The origional body tube is 12" and mine will be 48" hence the 400%.

Originally posted by fireone
Thanks for the help so far.

I should have said a 400% upscale not 4oo times. The origional body tube is 12" and mine will be 48" hence the 400%.

Aha, thanks for clearing that up!

Back