cluster test vehicle

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

watermelonman

Reaction score
I have a fair amount of 3 inch and 4 inch mailing tube that is way strong. I am thinking about making a quick, cheap rocket to get some cluster and airstart flights in.

What size combinations work well here? I was going to target 38mm motors, but it sounds like that would be too tight a fit for 3 inch tubing, with a maximum of maybe two as even two 29mm look somewhat tight. I should be able to get 3 in the 4 inch tube, right?

I know about canting the motors to help with flights when not all motors light, but what about when intentionally launching a single motor from the ground? Assume plenty of thrust, only a little off center. I do not think it would be much worse than something like a large external camera on only one side.

Looking at the LOC 4-29 kit, maybe four 29s in a 3" could work? Light two on the pad and airstart two?

Funnily enough, I've been starting to plan the same thing! I have some 3" mailing tube, but probably going to add 29mm outboards (4 or 6) to the Warlock instead.

If you want to intentionally launch one motor. I highly recommend having it centered.

I have a fair amount of 3 inch and 4 inch mailing tube that is way strong. I am thinking about making a quick, cheap rocket to get some cluster and airstart flights in.

What size combinations work well here? I was going to target 38mm motors, but it sounds like that would be too tight a fit for 3 inch tubing, with a maximum of maybe two as even two 29mm look somewhat tight. I should be able to get 3 in the 4 inch tube, right?

I know about canting the motors to help with flights when not all motors light, but what about when intentionally launching a single motor from the ground? Assume plenty of thrust, only a little off center. I do not think it would be much worse than something like a large external camera on only one side.

This may be useful. View attachment 295287

StanO

Back