Cluster rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apburner

APBurner
Reaction score
Built this one a couple of years ago. I've only flown it on a central CTI G65. Flew great. But looking forward to burning a full load of BP in it in dayton this weekend. With a D12-7 and 7 C6-0's it will be 1.5 newton seconds shy of a G and an average thrust of 78. Should be a fantastic flight with lots of smoke and fire. 8 motor cluster.png

Attachments

• 8 motor cluster.ork
    2.6 KB · Views: 29
Built this one a couple of years ago. I've only flown it on a central CTI G65. Flew great. But looking forward to burning a full load of BP in it in dayton this weekend. With a D12-7 and 7 C6-0's it will be 1.5 newton seconds shy of a G and an average thrust of 78. Should be a fantastic flight with lots of smoke and fire. View attachment 319627

As one who has not attempted many clusters (I've got 2 or 3 LPR birds that are built for it, but sadly remain unflown), how do you ignite that many motors? Are you successful with a clip whip or do you plan to try the more-flashy "flash in the pan" (pun intended)?

As one who has not attempted many clusters (I've got 2 or 3 LPR birds that are built for it, but sadly remain unflown), how do you ignite that many motors? Are you successful with a clip whip or do you plan to try the more-flashy "flash in the pan" (pun intended)?

what you need to say if you have 3 engine cluster you just divide the wires and tie them together. You take one wire from each motor and you twist the wires together. You do the same for the remaining wires. So now you have two groups of wires to attach the alligator clips. Make sure you have a good connection with the clips or else they won't ignite.

I know of a guy who lit 7 motors using Estes (now the old style) by taking scrap wire and extending each lead. It was all twisted together and the joints were taped. I personally have never done over three motors without the old Q2G2s or quickmatch. The launch system makes a difference. A relay launcher with the battery at the pad makes a big difference.

Here is a good reference https://www.narhams.org/library/tech/006-Clustering.pdf

Back in the 90s there was a rocket at a HPR launch that flew on a cluster of 60+ D12 motors. I don't recall the exact number,, but it was a spectacular display of fire. I'm pretty sure all motors had Thermalite fuse, which was great for clusters and airstarts. I'm trying to find video.

I have seen several large clusters like that. Would have to research them now. Boris is our current cluster guru.

At LDRS in 2003 he flew the Maxi-D. Came out to be an M motor. 1330 or a 3330, can't remember...

LDRS 22 303 D motor cluster.jpg

Last edited:
I am going to go old school and flash pan. I have clustered a central 18 and 7 13's several; time without a single misfire of any-kind

Medusa Painted.jpgView attachment 319800

Here is another interesting design...pulled from the internet...Andrew from Voodoo Rocketry

[video=youtube;S6acoiFkFG8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6acoiFkFG8[/video]

Last edited:
Back