Cluster Rocket Using D, E, Or F Engines?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is pretty good you are able to combine a composite motor and BP motors. I have been hesitant to try this combination, or cluster any composites. I'll have to check out the MJG BP starters. I guess they are similar in resistance to the CTI starters.
CTI motors have a starter pellet in the grain and will light with an ematch. Do not use the MJG BP starters in clusters. They use a conductive primer and are not consistent. For BP motors, use regular ematches and put in the nozzle as far as it will go. A piece of masking tape across the nozzle will hold it in place. The ematch does not have to touch the propellant although I look and make sure the nozzle clay doesn't cover the BP propellant.

CTI motors have a starter pellet in the grain and will light with an ematch. Do not use the MJG BP starters in clusters. They use a conductive primer and are not consistent. For BP motors, use regular ematches and put in the nozzle as far as it will go. A piece of masking tape across the nozzle will hold it in place. The ematch does not have to touch the propellant although I look and make sure the nozzle clay doesn't cover the BP propellant.
I’ve used MJG BP starters In dozens of BP cluster flights, they work just fine. I’ve also flown mixed clusters of CTI and BP motors, using MJG BP starters in the BP motors, and the stock CTI starters in the CTI motors. This also works well for me.

Back