Cluster of sparkies

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Taylor

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Anybody with experience using Aerotech Dark Matter propellant in a cluster?
I am curious about how hard to ignite this propellant is for near simulitaneous
Ignition. I have almost 100% lighting Blue Thunder motors which light easily.
I use Magnalite and Clusterfire pyrogen from Greg Dyben with Rocketfire, dipped igniters. I use his low current igniters and dip them in his pyrogen. 5400deg.F

I have also launched a 5 x I280DM cluster in my LOC Bruiser EXP a few times with no problems. DM is pretty easy to light, so it works well in clusters.

The green and red propellants are a little more recalcitrant, but I have successfully lit 4 motor clusters with those propellants as well.

I am on the road this week and will be back home next week, happy to pass along some tips then on lighting big motor clusters.

Here is my 8 inch Goblin in the aforementioned 4 x J450DMs

1668553229458.jpeg

J340 Metalstorm + 6 x H115 Dark Matter in my Stretched and highly modified LOC Iroc

Igniters were (7) Chinese ematches with blue thunder slivers taped to the heads wired in parallel (lots of current draw on that one!), the J had several slivers to get a larger surface area. The J still did a Poor Mans airstart, was still cool though.

Anybody with experience using Aerotech Dark Matter propellant in a cluster?
I am curious about how hard to ignite this propellant is for near simulitaneous
Ignition. I have almost 100% lighting Blue Thunder motors which light easily.
I use Magnalite and Clusterfire pyrogen from Greg Dyben with Rocketfire, dipped igniters. I use his low current igniters and dip them in his pyrogen. 5400deg.F
I've done a 3inch Upscale Deuce's Wild on 2 H115 Dark Matter each.

Attachments

• CN1Q8147_CR.JPG
    CN1Q8147_CR.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Back