Cluster ignitors

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roytyson

Reaction score
So I just completed building my 3” LOC Magnum with 3 29mm motor mounts and am planning on flying next weekend with F67’s. I have some narrow head MJG ematches that fit in the Motors perfect. Will ematches increase the chances of all the motors. My thought is they burn hotter than standard ignitors and will make starting the motors simultaneously.

Thoughts?

What about e-matches augmented with extra pyrogen? I've read about thus augmenting those new Estes "initiators" or whatever they're called, and have even done it myself to Estes Solar igniters, but I don't know about e-matches.

I've had good luck with e-matches lighting BP clusters, but I don't have any experience with them lighting APCP.

Great choice of motors. I love the F67--excellent bang for your buck.

If your launch controller can supply the current, I'd use 3 regular igniters wired in parallel. They produce a bigger ignition event (burning stuff to start the motor) than ematches. If your launch controller can't supply the needed current, then augmented ematches should work. I use igniters from Magnelite kits. https://www.rocketflite.com/

What do you use for augmentation, if that's not getting too close to restricted discussion of propellant formulae.
For smaller motors like the F67 you're talking about, I use an igniter from my Magnelite kits since they burn at +2000 degrees for more than a second. I've used 7 on a single cluster and all 7 lit at the same time. (6x F42 and 1x H180 in a LOC Ultimate)

For bigger motors (large 54mm and 75mm) I use an ematch with a pyrodex pellet. These need a core that is at least 1/2 inch.

Back