Cluster igniter question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qquake2k

Captain Low-N-Slow
Reaction score
Has anyone tried soldering wire leads to Estes igniters for use in clusters? Would the heat from the soldering iron cause it to ignite? I was thinking if you used a heat sink, it wouldn't get too hot since the soldering time would be so short.

Jim

I'm sure it's been done. I haven't however.

I have used a wire wrap tool to extend the igniter length on clusters though.

The new longer Quest ignitors will solve that problem too and they take less current.

I'm sure it's been done. I haven't however.

I have used a wire wrap tool to extend the igniter length on clusters though.

The new longer Quest ignitors will solve that problem too and they take less current.

Can you use a wire wrap tool on the thin wire of an Estes igniter?

I have soldered them and just twisted wire extensions to them also.

Soldering does not pose any problem but just twisting on longer leads work great also.

Buy some Quest Q2G2's is what I would do, but then again I can not solder to save my life.

Buy some Quest Q2G2's is what I would do, but then again I can not solder to save my life.

You know, I would buy some, but the shipping cost is so high. I'd use those in place of Copperheads, too.

You know, I would buy some, but the shipping cost is so high. I'd use those in place of Copperheads, too.

I put off ordering them for the same reason for a long time. Then I ordered LOTS,

I wish I had ordered more.

How long are the normal Q2G2 igniters? I know the long version are 8" long, but it doesn't say how long the regular ones are.

Sure you can solder Estes igniters but twisting wirewrap wire is just as effective for clusteres up to 12 motors.

Q2g2's are some very very NICE cluster igniters.

404-p20c2_4D NovaPayloader Motor retainer in_09-18-09.JPG

Quest Q2g2 Igniters-a_Package, Inst & igniters_08-14-09.jpg

Quest Q2g2 Igniters-b_6pk & Open Igniter_08-14-09.JPG

Quest Q2g2 Igniters-c_V-Close twisted leads & tube_08-14-09.JPG

404-p20b_Remaining 3 APCP igniters forinstallation_09-18-09.JPG

Has anyone tried soldering wire leads to Estes igniters for use in clusters? Would the heat from the soldering iron cause it to ignite? I was thinking if you used a heat sink, it wouldn't get too hot since the soldering time would be so short.
Soldering them works fine, as others have stated. Wirewrap works, too, but it doesn't have a good grip. Wire wrapping works great on square wire-wrap posts, but can slide when wound around round wire :) So I put a dab of solder on it in that case, too.

Holding the igniter while bending the leads is the big challenge. It's very easy to damage the head while twisting the leads, so you need to clamp it in place. I put a set of hemostats in my bench vice, then put the igniter in the hemos. This allows the tails to be manipulated without affect the head ends.

One advantage of wire-wrap versus other wire - such as telephone wire - is that it simply wraps around the igniter wire - no extra bending is needed, so there's less chance of damaging the head than when twisting a piece of phone wire onto the igniter lead.

-

Does anyone know the OD and length of the head of the Q2G2? I have never used any, but I am getting interested.

Greg

Back