Cluster Centering Ring Pattern

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocketmaniac

Reaction score
I remember a while ago someone posted a "cluster centering ring pattern" There were several configurations, (3) 24mm, (1) 29mm & (3) 24mm etc....... I have searched but have come up short...(maybe I am spelling something wrong)

RM:
Most of the computer design programs, RocketCad-4, SpaceCad, WinRoc & Template Widgets prgram, etc. have centering ring tools that will create any motor cluster conbination you like. I prefer RocketCad-4 but thats just me. I'm not sure if Rock-Sim-7 has this feature but would be suprised if it doesn't.

Originally posted by Micromister
I'm not sure if Rock-Sim-7 has this feature but would be suprised if it doesn't.

I have looked a little into my Rock-Sim7 and have not found anything yet...... I get errors every few seconds and have to re-start the program over (this was the topic of another thread some time ago)..... Right now, this program is basically un-usable....

Try RocketCAD-3, I got a shareware version on line ages ago and sent in the 20.00 for the complete programs. It's a great little design program with some very helpful templates, Centering rings with cluster motors is one:D If memory seves' this is a "programmin by Pete" product. Sorry I don't have the link.
I can gave you my common clusters diagram for D12's. That may have been what you saw.

Originally posted by Micromister
Try RocketCAD-3, I got a shareware version on line ages ago and sent in the 20.00 for the complete programs. It's a great little design program with some very helpful templates, Centering rings with cluster motors is one:D If memory seves' this is a "programmin by Pete" product. Sorry I don't have the link.
I can gave you my common clusters diagram for D12's. That may have been what you saw.

YES!!!!! I found a copy of Version 4 and got it running....... Found the Motor Mount Template...... Looks great........ Lots of potential here!!!!! I think I will even register this program to add to Rocksim.....

This is what I was looking for, but wouldn't mind seeing you D12 cluster diagrams.....

Many Thanks

Originally posted by Rocketmanic
I have looked a little into my Rock-Sim7 and have not found anything yet...... I get errors every few seconds and have to re-start the program over (this was the topic of another thread some time ago)..... Right now, this program is basically un-usable....

Just as an FYI, yes - RockSim 7 does auto-create centering rings with the right cutouts for inside tubes, which you can then print on your printer to use as a template. Not sure about previous versions, as I never tried this before getting v7.

I'm not sure, but I think BMS can laser-cut these CR's directly from the RKT files, too.

Hope you get the error problems worked out - Apogee just released an incremental upgrade, maybe this would help.

Did you ask for and install the latest patch for Rocksim 7? It crashed all the time on me till I installed the patch. Now it runs fine.

The original version of V7 is unstable. Contact Apogee for a new disc or download of the newest ( 7.04) updates. Once I reloaded the updated version, V7 worked fine.

I think I got the 7.1 upgrade, it seems to run ok, I just haven't done that much with the program to really know. It's still very cumbersome for me. I'll stick with Corel Draw for design and Wrap for sims. which is much closer to reality anyway.

Originally posted by astronboy
The original version of V7 is unstable. Contact Apogee for a new disc or download of the newest ( 7.04) updates. Once I reloaded the updated version, V7 worked fine.

OK.... now it makes sense..... the version I have is 7.0.1.0 ...... I have had several e-mails back and forth from Tim Van Milligan, I guess he just forgot to ask what exact version I had....... I will contract them monday!!!!!

Apogee has just recently release Rocksim v7.03 for registered users. You need to send an email with your information and Tim sends you a link for the download. Looks like v7.03 fixes a number of issues, including some of the 3D graphic problems.

Originally posted by rkt2k1
Apogee has just recently release Rocksim v7.03 for registered users. You need to send an email with your information and Tim sends you a link for the download. Looks like v7.03 fixes a number of issues, including some of the 3D graphic problems.

Unfortunately, as I've just found out, upgrading from 7.01 to 7.03 has broken the Centering Ring Template feature.:mad: i.e., after creating the cluster arrangement, and creating a CR in the containing tube, the printed CR template doesn't display the motor tube cutouts - just one motor tube in the middle of the CR.

The graphical display shows the MMT tubes correctly, it's only a problem on the printed CR template.

I have emailed this bug report to TVM, hopefully I'll hear back soon with either a fix or workaround, or an acknowlegement that it's on the fix list.

Manic,

I've attached a drawing for various clusters that I got either off the forum or emailed to me by a member. It shows some standard motor sizes clustered in some standard BT sizes. The idea was to print them on label material then attach the label to your cardstock (or whatever) to give you a pattern to use. I used this method and it worked great to do a 3x18mm in a StormCaster BT (same size as Big Bertha).

Hope this helps,

bmhiii

I said I had used these patterns for a 3x18mm in a StormCaster, but I've thought a little and I didn't use CRs for that project. I just glued the motor tubes together, glued them in the BT, and filled the gaps with tissue/glue wads. I did use one of the cluster templates to do a 2x18mm in the same size BT.

The mind just ain't what it used to be... Geez, it's h*** getting old....:D

bmhiii

Back