Club Launch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelltym88

Reaction score
Well me and my son Kole got to go to Lucerne Dry Lake yesterday for a club launch. I like going there because it is more of a free lance launch, meaning we don't have to wait in line or check in and can set up our own equipment, etc. We still need to follow all the NAR rules and regs and obtain FAA waivers and such and cannot launch anything over a G motor. By the way, it was an absolutely PERFECT day for flying with very little wind and clear and just perfect. :D :D :D

I am so glad I spent a few hours the day before prepping all the rockets we were planning on flying. That saved sssoooooooo much time. OK here is a list of what we were able to launch:

1-Photon Disruptor II D12-5 NC seperated from rocket and broke a fin on landing
2- Rockit (I was awarded this for helping out at the RCX Expo, had to add a chute, so I grabbed and old one I had on hand) D12-5 Only the chute came off, broke a fin on landing
3- Gooney Bird Zero C6-7 Perfect flight and rcovery
4- Pathfinder w/Custom Lightning booster D12-0 to D12-5 booster didin't seperate so upper stage motor burned thru. Rocket recovered, only booster charred
5- Delta Star C6-0 C6-7 Perfect flight and recovery
6- Raven C6-7 another chutr only seperation rocket recovered w/no damage
7-USS Atlantis (Rocketflite kit) C6-3 perfect flight and recovery
8- Arapahoe "E" maiden flight on a D12-5 perfect flight and recovery
9- Liquidator (Another reward for helping at the show) with water in it. D12-5 motor CATO'D and shot the payload section back towards us and a fire ball off in the other direction. It was pretty cool. Surprisingly very minimal damage, only the shock was seperated and charred the inside of the rocket pretty good.
10- Quest X-30 modified to 24mm w/a C11-3 perfect flight and recovery
11- Vindicator C6-7 perfect flight and recovery
12- Bandit sort of (the kit built at the show, basically a collection of Estes parts) C6-5 nice straight flight, no recovery, we lost track of it.
13- Deuces Wild 2 C6-7 perfect flight and recovery
14-Der V-3 D12-5 perfect flight and recovery man I forgot what a great flier that rocket is
15- Baby Bertha on C6-? (don't remember what delay) Perfect flight and recovery
16- Blue Bird Zero 125% D12-5 perfect flight
17-Interceptor G AT F42-7 perfect flight and recovery
18- Mean Machine 29mm on an AT F23-7 perfect straight flight, broke a fin on the landing.I would like to give a special thank you to David Erbas-White who so generously gave me that pack of F23's. Thank you Dave.
19- Optima D12-7 Yes the delay was too long for this and it core sampled. It can be fixed tho.
20- Executioner D12-5 perfect flight and recovery another reliable rocket
21- Super Vega D12-5 perfect flight and recovery
22- Firestreak (the older one w/ streamer recovery) C6-5 perfect flight and recovery
23- Deuce again 2 C6-7 same result as #13 above
24- CC Express C11-0 to D12-5 perfect flight and recovery
25- Maniac w/Longshot booster D12-0 D12-5 perfect flight and recovery

These were just the rockets that me and Kole did, this does not include anybody elses launches. All in all it was a very good, fun morning. Now for some pictures...

Forgot to put my Super Big Bertha on the list. I haven't flown that rocket in like 10 years or so. Put a D12-5 in it. Again, another perfect flight and recovery. Here is a lift off shot...

Here is the Pathfinder with the Custom Lightnin' booster. Got it right at ignition...

.... I just caught it going out of frame. A really great flier. Can't wait to stick an "E" motor in it.

The CATO'D D12-5. It just blew it self right out of the casing, and left the casing intact. It wasn't even hot when I removed it.

My 29mm Mean Machine. I think one of the best pictures of the day. This was on an AT F23-7. ...

Again, thanx to David Erbas-White for his motor contribution.

manta bomber 036.jpg

The Optima, before it's demise. Great flight, just too long of a delay...

manta bomber 039.jpg

Wow it looks like you had a great day of flying. You launch almost as many rockets as I do on an average launch.LOL

There's more pics, but either just sittin' on the pad or smoke trails. I'd say for the 4 hours we were there and the 25 flights we had, that was a pretty good day. Next up, LDRS. Hope you enjoyed it.

That place looks awesome, kind of like another planet! Way different than down here in south Texas. Looks like you guys had fun, and had some great flights.

Andrew

Originally posted by kelltym88
......I am so glad I spent a few hours the day before prepping all the rockets we were planning on flying. That saved sssoooooooo much time. OK here is a list of what we were able to launch.....These were just the rockets that me and Kole did, this does not include anybody elses launches. All in all it was a very good, fun morning. Now for some pictures...

Now I am really jealous :( ...25 launches in one day....I only have 22 launches for the whole year so far....:eek:

Nice report and pics too!

Back