3D Printing Closed Cell Polyurethane vs SLA vs wood.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbfrazier

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm in the planning stages of creating a 40" tall version the Nike-Zues and wanted the communitie's feedback.

Here is the issue:

Nose Cone: Does anyone have ay input on the advantages or dis-advantages of using a closed cell polyurethane foam for the nose cone of this model. Weight and rigidity are my biggest concerns.

Fins: ABS like resin or Plywood: Concerns: Landing after flight

Of coarse, fiberglass would be best, but for time and ease of assembly a mock up and poteintal kit, what do you think?

1683033855091.png

Keith

Why not a 3D printed nose cone?
Nose Cone: Thinking of it. Wanting the finish and weight to be better than FDM. Made many 3D nose cones, but the weight is always heavy to keep it from collapsing. Can easily make molds out of SLA or milling Delrin.

Fins: Sandwiched plywood and polyurethane foam are my thoughts

Wting it to be like the North Coast kits.

Thanks

Nose Cone: Thinking of it. Wanting the finish and weight to be better than FDM. Made many 3D nose cones, but the weight is always heavy to keep it from collapsing. Can easily make molds out of SLA or milling Delrin.

Fins: Sandwiched plywood and polyurethane foam are my thoughts

Wting it to be like the North Coast kits.

Thanks
Would a 3D printed nose filled with fairly dense expanding foam do the trick?

Tried it with a Restone IRBM Thin wall FDM nose cone. Filled with an expanding foam. Came out as hard as a rock. Just thinking of a one step process instead of creating a print then filling.

I'll keep you posted.

Keith

Back