Cloning from JimZ plans

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbrent

Reaction score
I have a question when it comes to cloning classic kits from JimZ's plans or anyone else's for that matter.
When it comes to the pattern sheets, they often don't print at the right scale and since a reference (such as a ruler) is not included in the scans, how do you come up with a proper scale factor?
Just curious,
Don

Last edited:
If the file is a PDF, make sure you have scaling turned OFF. The default seems to be "scale to fit". If it is a TIFF, set your program for 300 dpi.

Unless you are competing in a Scale competition, just use the LAR method (looks about right).

If the parts are a little oversize you sand them down until they fit.

Last edited:
Unless you are competing in a Scale competition, just use the LAR method (looks about right).

If the parts are a little oversize you sand them down until they fit.

When I clone a classic kit, I'm pretty particular about getting it as close as possible to the original.

If the file is a PDF, make sure you have scaling turned OFF. The default seems to be "scale to fit". If it is a TIFF, set your program for 300 dpi.

I knew about the .pdf's and those usually aren't a problem, most of the plans out there are scanned to TIFF files so that's good to know, but why is 300dpi the correct setting for these TIFF scans? Can you explain that a little?

Thanks,
Don

Becasue that's the setting that was used when most of the files were scanned in.

kj

Just use a program such as Gimp to scale them up to 600 dpi if you need that resolution. Most programs such as Gimp will allow you to overlay a grid sized in the particular units you need to make sure it will print to the proper size.

Also, watch for the 'Print to fit' function causing 'shrinkage'...sometimes that can be missed during printing.

FC

Ok, I used "Paint" and saw where the resolution was set to 300 dpi, printed it with no scaling and it seems to be about right. Pretty easy.

Thanks for the help,
Don

Wish I'd seen this thread a few days ago. I printed out the fins for my Teros clone and didn't notice how oversize they were till I had them on the model. Too lazy to cut them off and try again, next time I will be more careful(!)

Back