Clones?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crashinj

Reaction score
:rolleyes: I'm wondering, what rocket would you like to see cloned that is not currently being kitted by anyone?

Crashin J

The drifter falls into the same relm as the Astron Constellation...cool looking kit 'til ya get it home...then it looks so darn small!

I upscaled my drifter to a BT-60...see the pic in "Mars Snooper clone" thread.

We seem to be mixing threads...not cross posting..."mix-a-posting".

Hey, I made a new word!:D

I guess that it would depend... Are we talkin laser cuts fins, and decal sheets??

How about the Bomarc? I mean the #0654 Glider version.

I really don't understand either the "Cloning Mars Snooper" or this post, If you want to "clone" a model why don't you just do it? I've been up and downscaleing models forever see "clustering the classics" thread. The snooper isn't that difficult I have three, a micro-Maxx, Standard size and a D-12 1.5 Upscale. Yeah it has 7 nose cones and a three picece transition but so what. As for the Interceptor I have a Micro-Maxx, standard size and am working on a 4-D12 3X upscale, the hardest part of this model is the nose cone, the wing pods and motor vaning were easy. If you can turn, buy or order the cones and/or parts it's very easy to "Clone" any kit or "creation" you want.
Since I started "building my own", I wouldn't pay a dime for a "Clone Kit" of anything. Kits are very nice places to start your hobby modeling but wouldn't you want to move on into making your own and/or "Cloneing what ever strikes your fancy as quickly as possible?
Just my two cent worth.
Not understanding the Clone Craze, which I thought was more a scratch building thing.

John,

That seems a little harsh.

He just wanted to know who would be interested...I guess you're not.

Putting together "cloned" kits is a really good idea. Not everyone has the time or talent to "make their own".

I can do it and wouldn't discourage anyone else from doing it.

Putting together a bunch of kits for the guys here in this forum (I'm currently doing three) is something I just want to do. I'm doin' it 'cause it's fun!...a lot of work...but fun!

Go for it crashinj!

sandman

Micro ,
some of the people online buying clone kits are not into scratchbuilding or scrounging up parts.
but are basically wanting to buy an old kit from their younger days
and glue it together. I've seen alot of them sell on ebay.

sort of a nitch market

I think for a lot of people who get out of the hobby for while, sometimes seeing a clone brings back the fire to get back into it. I think short of designing you own model, cloning is sort of an honorable thing to do for a model that would otherwise just be collected.
If you clone it...they will come!
Clone On!!

Sandman:
I wasn't trying to discourage or be harsh, simply did not understand the need, which is why I ask the question. If you don't ask ya can't learn.
I don't believe for a second other's don't have to talent to "build your own" the time may be a good point. As flying_silverad mentioned, it is nice to "recreate" the models of our youth, and I totally agree sometimes it may be easier to purchase a "Collector kit" or clone than to make your own, just wanted to remind folks, nothing is more satisfying than doing it yourself. I do applaud your efforts supplying kits for the guys, I've often thought about make up Micro-Maxx kits. Instead I thought drawing up the plans and posting them for everyone to use was a better way.
I do want to warn all the rocketeers here again about buying on or from e-Bay. I just saw a 5.00 Pratt hobbies super-6 kit go for 13.00 plus postage, some poor sap just paid about 10.00 more then he should have by not doing a little research. I'm seeing currently available models going for outragous pirces daily on e-bay. Please be careful. There is good stuff out there, but look before you leap.

Thanks Styeme and Silverad, your answers confirm my guesses and are what I was looking for.

I agree with what sandman, Stymie, and Flying_silverad said. I'm one of the guys who loves to build rockets, but doesn't have the resources (time being one of them) to make my own parts. I'm not creative enough to do that - it's hard enough for me to paint rockets that don't have a suggested schema...lol In any case, I think it's also true that alot of BAR are here because of a specific kit they had in their youth. One of the things that got me back into the hobby was the re-release of the Commanche 3. I happened to be in a hobby store with my brother and saw that kit on the shelf. The next weekend, I drove to Cleveland and got all my old rocket stuff from my parent's attic.

As far as kits I'd like to see again - I'd love to see the Ramjet again. Or maybe the Arrow. I have one, but it's kinda worse for wear...lol

Loopy

Yes! The Ramjet! That is a good one and not too difficcult to copy.

Standard parts with nothing unusual to duplicate but the decals.

sandman

Back