Clone The Estes Der V-3

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnwwa

Reaction score
This my first post so bear with me. I'm a BAR . My first flight was in 1974 an Estes Alpha. So now I'm back . What I'm working on is a Clone of an Estes Der V-3 #1970 from an Phoenix#1380.
only problem is the decal sheet. I've checked online but nobody make this set. do you have any suggestions as to where I can get a few sets made. Help!!
John

Tango Papa is definitely the way to go. That's where I got mine.

Here's a LINK to a description and pics of my Der V3 clone.

Thanks for the info. on Tango Papa Decals I did look at this site
will email request for decal & price.
Also while taking a look at the Phoenix kit I notice another rocket hidden within using Pnc-80k one or two Bt-80 's and coupler with long fins from balsa supplied and motor mount it is possible to build another rocket .phoenix fins to be used measure in inches are as follows
L 9 7/16"
W 2 7/16"
Fin Tip 11/16"
but I'm not sure of final weight and if using a D-12-5 with these fins if they would stay on the BT or be ripped off on first flight . Need to have a sims done, which I do not own yet.
Thanks again
BAR
John

Originally posted by johnnwwa
Thanks for the info. on Tango Papa Decals I did look at this site
will email request for decal & price.
Also while taking a look at the Phoenix kit I notice another rocket hidden within using Pnc-80k one or two Bt-80 's and coupler with long fins from balsa supplied and motor mount it is possible to build another rocket .phoenix fins to be used measure in inches are as follows
L 9 7/16"
W 2 7/16"
Fin Tip 11/16"
but I'm not sure of final weight and if using a D-12-5 with these fins if they would stay on the BT or be ripped off on first flight . Need to have a sims done, which I do not own yet.
Thanks again
BAR
John

I'm very familiar with his pricing.

The decals will fit on a single 8.5 x 11 sheet, which gives a base price of $7. However, the decals include the color "white" (obviously) which adds $1 for a total of $8 for the decal sheet.

You will receive two full sets on that single sheet for that price, however.

Until you get used to using his decals, you may need both sets (you might mess up a decal during application and need to use the second set for "backup" to complete your finish job). It won't take but once or twice doing that and you will quickly find that the second set will become an extra.

You will need to coat the decal page with Microscale liquid decal film prior to application. It's very easy to use and dries quickly. Just apply a nice heavy coat to the decal page, allow to dry (approximately 20 min) and then cut and apply.

You will want to be very careful handling his decals before you apply the microscale film, so that you don't scratch the color from the decal sheet. The microscale film makes protects them from any scratching (so no worries when applying) and makes them substantially "thicker", so they won't tear nearly as easily.

Just remember that if you have trouble with hsi decals wrinkling, folding, or tearing on you while applying, this is probably because you didn't apply *enough* of the microscale liquid decal film. Simply stop what your doing and apply a second coat - it will help a lot. Or you can just lay it on nice and thick on the first coat, that won't hurt them or affect their appearance.

Originally posted by Fore Check

You will need to coat the decal page with Microscale liquid decal film prior to application. It's very easy to use and dries quickly. Just apply a nice heavy coat to the decal page, allow to dry (approximately 20 min) and then cut and apply.

How does the Microscale film compare to Future Floor Polish for pre-application protection? The decals are super thin and easily torn, and I'm always looking for a better way to do most anything.

Originally posted by tbzep
How does the Microscale film compare to Future Floor Polish for pre-application protection? The decals are super thin and easily torn, and I'm always looking for a better way to do most anything.

I have no experience at all using future floor polish on decals to make a comparison. Check over in the scratch built forum - there's a thread about "toughening up" homemade decals where I gave some more detail regarding TangoPapa's stuff.

Good luck!

Back