[Clone] I'm going (1271) Renegade!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spacepirate R

Reaction score
I still have parts left in my "Designer's Special" so I have decided to clone a Renegade, the 1271 one, not the more recent multi-fin one.

Due to the parts that I have there will be slight deviations from the plans. I will be using a shorter BT-50 tube for the motor mount and I will be using the tri-fold shock cord attachment instead of the "slot through a centering ring" attachment. I will be using my standard label papering of the fins.

I will be painting it black and red, but I think that I will fully assemble it before painting as I am wary of aligning the launch lugs after it is painted. Plus I would rather cover up any glue smears that might happen when the two body tubes are attached.

There will be pictures but this will be a relaxed build so I'll post when I can.

One of my all time favorites!!! Biggest rocket I owned as a youngster! The roar of a "D" was quite impressive compared to all the 18mm stuff I'd done before :grin:

estes-renegade 1271-1975 cat.jpg

One of my all time favorites!!! Biggest rocket I owned as a youngster! The roar of a "D" was quite impressive compared to all the 18mm stuff I'd done before :grin:

View attachment 132821

You and me both.

This was one of my first rockets when I was a kid ,and was totally wide eyed when it was finished....it was so BIG !

It was lost into power lines after many good flights :(

Paul T

Got all of the parts!
d5BSVn7.jpg

Tube and coupler sliced to size and fresh hand-cut fins are ready for sanding!
mn16HMB.jpg

Been a bit but I'm back!

Got the fins shaped and papered.

D6Uwp93.jpg

D-Powered motor mount done.

P32tkA4.jpg

KafH9hg.jpg

Motor mount and fins installed and attached.

zzV5zm8.jpg

uu64WZx.jpg

Coupler installed on the lower body tube.

3pDo9R0.jpg

Now to attach the upper tube, the shock cord attachment, nose cone prep, and filling in the body tube joint and adding the launch lugs. Then off to paint!

Back