Clone a Quasar without the chrome sticker?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spacepirate R

Reaction score
An (almost) easy classic rocket to clone is the Estes Quasar; get an Alpha III, use a longer body tube, and paint the orange fin can and nose cone white/grey. The hard part is the sticker as many of us do not have an alps printer. Ideas I have had are trying to find chrome sheet sticker material or just using a good metallic paint. Any other ideas out there?

I've been working on the same problem. You could print the original artwork on a white adhesive-backed sheet of paper (like MacTac) and apply it as a wrap, then cut and apply small pieces of chrome MonoKote on top, or vice versa, or like you suggested, a good aluminum paint may do. Without an ALPS printer, any way you do it will be a compromise. I once made a gray Quasar with the attached decal wrap.

I wish Estes would re-release this classic.

View attachment Quasar Decal Wrap.pdf

Count me in on a re-release of the Citation Quasar (KC-1).

About six years ago I made a clone of the second version of the Quasar using an Alpha III kit and a body wrap from Excelsior Rocketry (Sandman).

It turned out great.

Here's a picture of my original Citation Quasar with my clone.

Estes Citation Quasar with Quasar clone.jpg

Check with StickerShock, perhaps Mark could reproduce the decal.

I've had good luck using aluminum foil tape as well. You can wrap tubes and fins with it, but an ogive cone would be tricky (I have done a straight conical cone). I've thought about the same sort of issue with regards to cloning an Estes Silver Streak. I still have my original, but the tube is hosed. I could reuse the chrome cone, but would need to replace the mylar banding and decal...

I think I have a solution here for Spacepirate R and anyone else who ventures to make a Quasar clone:

Attached is an improved version of my Quasar wrap. The first one I posted had the chrome areas replaced with gray so it could be printed on a laser printer but the measurements were way off. This one is a compromise where the chrome behind the name is replaced with white with black outlines and the star is gray, but the measurements are nearly perfect. If you wrap the first 1 7/8" of the body tube with chrome MonoKote and then apply this paper wrap to the rest of the tube, it could make a reasonable facsimile of the original Quasar wrap. Not perfect, but close. Since this PDF is vector-based you can scale it up to make a larger clone.

Please note that I neglected to include the launch lug notch at the bottom left so you'll have to cut that yourself. I hope to include the notch for the final version. Bear with me, as I am still learning Illustrator.

View attachment Quasar Wrap Beta.pdf

Last edited:
Back