Clipboard Wood Product?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DAllen

Reaction score
You know, that stuff your traditional clipboard is made from - what is it called?

Funny thing is, I bought a big sheet of it a few months ago and for the life of me (even after looking at several web sites) cannot remember what it is called. Chipboard maybe? Anyways, I was thinking if I could get some that was smooth on both sides (the stuff I bought is not) this might make a pretty good fin material for the low and slow crowd but I'm not sure since I've never worked with it in that capacity. Cuts and sands really easy and seems to be plenty stiff enough. Thoughts?

-Dave

Fiberboard? Specifically tempered hardboard / Masonite? Looks like big-box stores should carry it.

Last edited:
I would think it would be too heavy for LPR, and delaminate on landing for MPR. Could be wrong, though.

Tempered hardboard, and there are different resins used in its manufacture. Some are waterproof. Because of its short fibers and heavy weight I think it would be a terrible fin material.
Masonite is one brand.

Tempered hardboard, and there are different resins used in its manufacture. Some are waterproof. Because of its short fibers and heavy weight I think it would be a terrible fin material.
Masonite is one brand.

Pawing around the Masonite products I don't see anything that resembles what I have...Hmmmm...the stuff I have doesn't seem to be much more dense than birch ply of the same dimensions...of course that's just anecdotal evidence I haven't exactly started weighing samples yet. I might try that since I'm super bored at home being laid up on crutches and all. And since I have a bunch left over I might try soaking it in water - which is something I'm glad you brought up especially since I didn't think of it.

Last edited:
Pawing around the Masonite products I don't see anything that resembles what I have...Hmmmm...the stuff I have doesn't seem to be much more dense than birch ply of the same dimensions...of course that's just anecdotal evidence I haven't exactly started weighing samples yet. I might try that since I'm super bored at home being laid up on crutches and all. And since I have a bunch left over I might try soaking it in water - which is something I'm glad you brought up especially since I didn't think of it.

Here's a little more information.
https://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-tempered-hardboard.htm

Steve Shannon

Back