Clip Whip

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Localx

Reaction score
Can anybody recommend a manufacture of clip whips? I remember seeing a site from Florida that made them. I think it was on this site but I can no longer find the link.
Thanks Again

cant remember who but somones always in chat advertising his

i made mine for about 8 bucks... just went down to radio shack and picked up some 20 gauge wire and some copper alligator clips

i didn't solder mine, but i twisted them tight enough for them to stay put very well

btw i made ones for 3 and 2 clusters

you also can have alotta wire left over which is always handy

Not to take anything away from the vendors, but if you're into do-it-yourself projects you should check out the <a href="https://www.info-central.org/support_clipwhip.shtml">clip-whip</a> article at <a href="https://www.info-central.org/support_clipwhip.shtml">Info Central</a>.

I made mine with the materials suggested in this article. For a more professional look and for color matching (as if red/black wires weren't enough), you could add heat shrink where the wire is soldered to the flat alligator clip.

Or, save yourself the trouble and order from a vendor on TRF. :)

You can send a PM to karatekicker271, he made a pile of custom clip whips for me and they are superb in every way. Very reasonably priced, especially considering the customization I had him do for me.

is there any advantage to soldering the wires on? will it affect it at all?

In the testing I did with soldering vs. crimp the soldered cables kept the same Ohm reading after each use. The crimped ones started getting higher ohm readings after each launch. I think this was due to the oxidation from the hot gases as the motor lights.

Dan

Originally posted by LocalX
Can anybody recommend a manufacture of clip whips?

Thrustline Aero ("flying_silverad"). He supplies stuff at CATO launches.

Back