Click "Save" in OpenRocket & it Shuts Down w/o Saving

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MGL

Reaction score
OpenRocket version 15.03
Windows 10 Pro version 1909

I designed a sustainer section and when I went to "Save" the program closed without saving the file. I tried several times with same results, start a New file, add components, then tried "Save" & "Save As".
Any help appreciated.

I have tried to replicate your issue to no avail. Is there a way I can get a hold of you to get more info.

Still happens. Could it be an issue with security software?
That is possible. Try turning it off and see if it still happens. Another thing I would like you to try is make a simple rocket and try to save after each component. Select a nose cone, save. Add a body tube, save. Add some fins, save. Use the same name to save to. If you get a crash at any point post the file on how far you got and what you are trying to add. Also if you change and parameters also save. I am thinking you have either a bad component or parameter that is causing the issue. Also can you tell me what version of java you are using.

That is possible. Try turning it off and see if it still happens. Another thing I would like you to try is make a simple rocket and try to save after each component. Select a nose cone, save. Add a body tube, save. Add some fins, save. Use the same name to save to. If you get a crash at any point post the file on how far you got and what you are trying to add. Also if you change and parameters also save. I am thinking you have either a bad component or parameter that is causing the issue. Also can you tell me what version of java you are using.

Security software off made no difference. I can't SAVE after the first step of adding a nose cone without it shutting down.
Annotation 2020-02-25 053712.png

Did you already try to update Java on your PC?
[Edit] I see you have the actual version [/Edit]
If you start OpenRocket in a cmd window:

java -jar OpenRocket-15.03.jar

Do you see any message in the terminal when OpenRocket crashes?

Last edited:
OK, just thought that in a next step it could be run with the -verbose option to see when it actually crashes.

OK, just thought that in a next step it could be run with the -verbose option to see when it actually crashes.
It's a good thought, I'll have to think if there's a way to force that from within the packaged version.

[addendum] The Java inside the packaged version is a DLL file (i.e., "java.dll"). Any idea how to run it that way and give it additional command-line arguments?

Last edited:
How did he download the packaged installer? I even cannot see it on the page.
Would it be an option, that he downloads the jar? With the Java installed it should start when doubleclicking.

[Edit]Just to be sure, we are talking about an .EXE?[/Edit]

Thanks for the info. Great work by the way.

I can't see any way to pass the -verbose option to the packaged jar.

MGL displayed the printscreen with the Java Version installed. I assume he did that with the Java Control Panel and already has Java installed.
So possibly he might try to download the jar directly into C:\, then open a cmd window and with the commands:
C:
cd \
java -jar -verbose OpenRocket-15.03.jar

start the .jar in verbose mode

Then try to save a file and see if the same problem occurs.

Thanks for that. If we can get the plain JAR file working on your machine, then maybe we can get some logs that explain why Save is blowing up. Hang in there, not giving up yet.

I did some search on Google. The crash when trying to save a file and also the crash when opening, might be an issue related to a combination with the graphics driver. This is a hint only.
I do not know if developers are reading here too. Maybe they can help.
If needed, I can send the links to the Java/Oracle bug report, which makes me think it could be an issue with the graphics driver.

Bug Id is: Bug ID: JDK-8181199

Last edited:
Good find!

I checked the bug report here:
https://bugs.java.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=8181199

Workaround 2) did it for me. I had the God Mode folder on the desktop. The JFileChooser class doesn't like that, hence the crash on open or save. See also:
https://bugs.java.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=JDK-8179014

Reinhard

Winner winner Chicken dinner.
I had the God Mode file on my desktop & that's the problem. Deleted it and OR works fine again.
Thank you all much.

Great!!!

I still don't understand what that God mode folder is, though, and how it got there, and why you guys had it and I don't?

(actually I should double-check my machine, but certainly I've never experienced the save problem).

The God mode folder has to be created by the user. It provides some kind of centralised super admin tweaks.

Steps to reproduce the error:
1) Create new folder on desktop
2) (Admin privileges required) Rename the folder to: "OpenRocketKiller.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}" (without quotation marks"
3) Folder turns to nameless icon (God Mode is a common name for that, but not an official designation, as I understand it)
4) Start OR, try to use open or save dialog

Reinhard

Back